Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: how do the best shots shoot?  (Read 8039 times)

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how do the best shots shoot?
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »
Just curious,what is the minimum/maximum target distance at a trad 3-d shoot?

Offline KyleAllen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2007, 10:44:00 PM »
if they have traditional stakes then about 25 is the furthest. Ocassionally some pushing 30

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2007, 01:24:00 AM »
Interesting.

Offline Tilzbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2007, 03:52:00 AM »
Robert Honaker,

Where I live 2/3 of the shoots don't have traditional stakes so you shoot the same distance as the compound guys - 50 to 60 yards on some shots - in many shoots. Some guys complain but everyone shoots the same targets so it all washes out in the end. I've found the same guy that shoots best on the traditional stake type shoot also shoots the best on the long yardage shoots. I guess good shooting is good shooting and a good shot can perform at many different yardages!

BTW - All the best shots I've seen use a reference, whether it be point of aim or gap. Unfortunately (or by choice) I haven't been able to do that, I shoot instinctive, without any conscience reference, and I've got tons of second and third place trophies.

Later,
Scott
One man thinks he can, the other doesn't. Both are right!

Offline shapeshifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2007, 07:08:00 PM »
very well said Jason!   ;^)

after being a recent convert to a gap method (nearly 28 years of shooting instinctive) i can say that it does become second nature and i can still shoot just about as fast as i ever did but it does take time to get there. i made the switch to eliminate those "off days". no worse feeling than climbing into a stand or calling a bull and having that feeling where you know your focus is off that day. i still have off days but now the groups open up an inch or two instead of looking for arrows in the grass LOL. i'm not saying it is for everyone but it never hurts to be diversified and adaptable.  ;)
TimberGhost Customs X-breed 65@28

Offline runamuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2007, 11:30:00 PM »
x2 on the golf club

Offline John57

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2007, 12:14:00 AM »
Our local 3D series has a max distance of 35 meters for longbow and recurve.
At my club I shoot the same stakes as anybody else,yellow stake max 20 meters,blue max 40 meters,white max 65 meters,red max 80 meters.
We have to shoot 400 or over three times before we can shoot from the next stake out.
I made my 3rd 400 off white today so I can go out to red now.
The catch for me is that at my club you get recognition for "nothing" unless your shooting from red,but shooting 400 off the white was so hard for me I don't know if I really want those extra 15 meters.
On the other hand we have several free style compound shooting members that say "no barebow shooter is good enough to make it to red "so I realy have to work on my point of aim even more, an prove em' wrong.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2007, 09:24:00 PM »
I have shot a trad bow for a long time and really don`t care how anyone else shoots. I learned to shoot instinctive because I thought it would make me more " automatic" when it came to wild game. It did.Most critters I kill I can`t remember the release on. I`ll see the arrow as if in slow motion and it goes where I`m looking. I miss sometimes but when I hunted with a rifle I missed then as well.I will say I average 10-15 deer and pigs a year and I may miss twice at the most.I`m not trying to brag just saying that not all instictive shooters shoot like crap like someone mentioned in other words earlier.As far as targets go I once won the HosreCreek state Trad shoot scored 10-8-5 with a score of 482 with a longbow and wood arrows, fifty shots.I bought the longbow that day because one of the fellows from Florida told me a recurve was for girls.A lot of guys at trad shoots do shoot bad but they are not hard core trad hunters they are just having fun Don`t judge all Instictive shooters by these few . In my experience most people that live it can put the arrow there when it counts.RC

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
Nice Post RC.......I agree 110%!!!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Aspirinbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »
I typically use split finger for most shots but on multiple arrow shots shoot three under or Apache style.  It's all personal preference.
Shoot Straight,
Frank

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2010, 03:50:00 AM »
I would say IBO from the Trad stakes at such short distances is little to do with aiming choice, if I used POA on a 3D at 20 yards. split fimger my arrow point would be somewhere on the ground 3ft in front of the target.

IFAA Bowhunter rounds aiming styles like Gap, POA do start to play a part because it's shot out to 60y with average Deer shots around 40 to 50y and GAP, POA aiming methods do offer better consistency over Instinct on shots past 40y.

This is one of the reasons I use all the aiming methods Instinct, Split-vision and POA, I would say the people who win tourneys win because they have excellent form and deal with tourney pressure better than others, the aiming choice is just a small part of their success.

A lot of talk on some other Forums making a really big deal about Ricky Welch shooting instinct and kicking Gap shooters butts, Ricky wins tourneys because he has fantastic form and if he decided one day to switch to Gap he would still win because he has fantastic form.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
I've know a man in my area for 40 years who is the best shot with a hunting bow of any person I've ever met.  I've never discussed with him how he aims but he can flat out hit a target or game animal.  He also is a very successful hunter and is a local legend.

He shoots split finger.
His anchor is fairly high.
He has a slightly hunched style.
His form hasn't changed in 40 years.
He's the best shot I know and he doesn't use the latest gimmick or method to shoot a bow.
When he shoots 3-d he misses once in a while but blames himself, not the bow, spine, arrows, equipment.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »
What RC sayed.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Missing Impossible

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2010, 02:50:00 PM »
My new years resolution:  practice my multiple arrow shots.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2010, 06:11:00 PM »
Wow, this is a great thread with something for everybody.

I believe that those who shoot instinctive, are actually, whether they know it or not, using their arrow or something on their bow as a reference point. A great trad archery shooter once wrote, "the only truly instinctive arrow shot is that persons' first arrow". After the first one, your brain will use some sort of reference to increase your chances of hitting the target, be it consciously or unconsciously. I just make it easier on my brain and aim with reference(point of arrow) rather consciously!
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline faustus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2010, 08:19:00 AM »
Well, here are my 2 cents ...

I was once told that the journey is more important than the destination.

Why is it that instinctive shooting has to justify itself again and again? Because somebody can shoot more accurately with "point of aim" or with a compound bow, or a crossbow or with a rifle?

You can substitute "point of aim" with compound bow, or cross bow and I guess it would be the same argument ... these devices or aiming methods allow you to shoot more accurately with less training.

I can pick up my crossbow and can shoot pretty accurate. Take it once to the range to make sure the sights are still good before hunting season opens ... and that's it for practice and training. But then…  for me, this is not what I call fun ... and that’s why my crossbow sits in the closet and collects dust.

I think most of you will agree that it takes definitely more time and practice in order to shoot a traditional bow well. How many years have you guys been practicing/shooting?

Now, I would presume that it also takes more practice to shoot a longbow well instinctively than shooting it with "point of aim". But, I guess we can argue this ...

What I know … I have never won a tournament and to be honest I do not care much about winning. But I have a lot of fun shooting my longbow and shooting instinctively, and I am out at the range every week. And yes, I might still be standing in this barn that I cannot hit. But I hope this does not make me a disgrace to traditional archery as it was mentioned earlier.

I would suggest a bit more respect for those that have chosen the hard way … and for who most of the journey still lies ahead.
------------
faustus

Offline BigCnyn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
look yourself in the mirror.. When you are happy with yourself, Then you are there.. Please only yourself.
The way you shoot, its YOUR choice..

I got a whole bunch of Titles,, Who cares ? but me...
Simple stick and a string , And I got, The ARROW where I wanted it..

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2010, 03:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by BigCnyn:
look yourself in the mirror.. When you are happy with yourself, Then you are there.. Please only yourself.

Nice run of wins there Big Cnyn.

You're right 10 years from now the only person that will remember is YOU, so doing it for you is first goal in Archery.

If you're happy with yor shooting you're already a winner.

Offline Capt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2010, 03:44:00 PM »
Over the last year I have just shot with a thumb draw i.e. Mongolian release with the arrow on the draw hand side of the riser.  I actually shoot better with the thumb then I ever did with fingers and the arrow truly is out of your sight picture.  It is kind of strange at first but without the arrow on the draw hand side I can focus on my spot better.  
I am also having alot of fun with this style and I guess that is what is important.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2010, 05:19:00 AM »
The main thing is that, if you hunt with trad gear, you owe it to the quarry you're pursuing, to shoot accurately and consistently. If you can't do that by shooting totally "instinctive", then I believe you should search for a better way to aim your arrow so you can hit your mark in a more consistent way.

If you don't hunt, then don't worry about it.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©