Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: how to get better  (Read 1171 times)

Offline chappy

• Trad Bowhunter
how to get better
« on: March 26, 2007, 11:02:00 AM »
I'm getting decent groups an 10-12 yds, but once I step back a little bit it all seems to fall apart.  Even just back to 15 yds.  I'm a beginner and gradually getting into this, and backed up from 5-12 with relative comfort.  Maybe it's mental, but I just can't get them to group.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how to get better
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 12:04:00 PM »
this might not be the most fun practice but stay close and practice form concentrating on one thing at a time,release,bow hand, etc, then I found by shooting at a vertical line for awhile until I start to hit the vertical, then switching to a hortizal line to get my mind on distance, then switch to some sort of bull that it helps me. I still go back and form shoot and also the lines. I just seems to help me. Might help.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 11:23:00 AM »
chappy....
    Try what I call the Draw back method of practice....
    Start close and take a shot, then move back a little and shoot again, repeat a few times....
    Soon you start learning the differant distances....
    I like doing it untill I'm out to 40-50 yds
You'll learn 10 yds is not much differant than 30. just hold a little higher....
    Do this everyday and sooner than you think your brain will learn the differanr distances....
    Some times when I mess up at a longer yardage I just think to myself, its the same shot, just more space inbetween....
    A lot of it is mental....think to yourself you can do it....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 07:07:00 AM »
If you are shooting instinctively, and getting good groups at ten & twelve, then you are doing something right. It may be as simple as not bringing your focus and concentration to the same level as you back up farther from the target.

Example: If you are shooting at a three inch bullseye at ten yds and hitting it, put a 1/2 "
black dot in the center of the bullseye and shoot at the black dot from ten yds. You will probably see an improvement even at ten yds. Now as you back up,keep that same level of concentration on that tiny black spot. You cant shoot at the bullseye, you have to shoot at a spot on the bullseye. The more you are able to focus and concentrate on a speck, the tighter your groups will be.(providing your form is consistent)
When shooting at game if you shoot for the kill zone you will probably shoot high. If you shoot at a hair, you will be dragging home meat.

If it was easy it wouldn`t be fun.   ;)

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »
Something that really helps me is to get some judo points and go stump shooting. You tend to take shots at things that really grab your attention and stand out. When it stands out it's easier to concentrate on that one leaf in the sun or what ever catches your eye. Bonebuster is right, it's harder to concentrate on a small spot the further away you get but that is what you have to do. You will probably be suprised how well you will do plus it's a nice break from shooting the bag.
Gen 27:3 "Take your hunting gear, your quiver and bow, and go out into the field to hunt some game for me."

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 04:01:00 AM »
I try not to worry about yardage. I like to take all kinds of shots. Being kind of new to trad, you might want to work on your form to get it into your memory. But just keep practicing and have fun. I like the stumping recomendation. This way you are making your self think about how to get the arrow from you to that spot over there with out knowing how far it is.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©