Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Shooting without a glove?  (Read 1277 times)

Offline jarvisj

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting without a glove?
« on: March 29, 2007, 12:07:00 AM »
Most of the time the question is Glove or Tab, tonight I took off the glove and was pleasantly surprised to find I shot pretty good without really any pain. I'm shooting a Bear Montana 45# @ 28". I'm sure if I ever get up into the higher poundages I might feel a little different about the pain aspect. But so far it raised the thought, why not shoot without a glove (one less thing I have to remember when I head out into the field)?

So I was wondering what everyone here thought about this topic? Anyone have any pros and cons on this? Who out there shoots without a glove and why? If there are technical reasons why a glove or tab are better to use than just plain ol' fingers I'd love to hear about it. I'm not gonna pitch the glove yet but definitely gonna give this finger thing a try.

Thanks in advance
JAJ

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting without a glove?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 03:12:00 AM »
I shoot my 45# bow with out the glove pretty often. It does wear on my fingers if I shoot alot. Once I go over 45# I need the glove.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline User Name

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 03:54:00 PM »
Being new to this, I am learning from a video called "Masters of the Barebow".  

On this video, Roger Rothaar said he threw his tabs away 25 years ago because they would get lost, wet, etc.  So he says he triple-served the string where his fingers go and has never used a tab or glove again.  

I stole the idea (which is what the video is for) and had my string done the same way on my 60 lb longbow.  

Now, maybe I could shoot better with an aid, but since I'm in the habit-building stage I have decided to learn without one.  

So far my office worker fingers are doing fine and are just starting to callous with 4 times a week practice.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 09:17:00 PM »
Never tried, but could you both build up the string and make a nock from something like electrical tape???  Kill two birds with one stone; Make a nock point and get rid of the glove or tab???  Just a thought, like I said never tried...Charlie

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 03:26:00 AM »
I have a nock point made from extra serving above and below my nock point. Is that what you are looking for Buckeye?
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 09:14:00 AM »
As long as its Thick Enough NOT to cause Permanent Nerve Damage in the Future!! Just My 2 Cents.
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »
I too would be concerned about damage to the fingers after long periods of use.  Permanent numbing would not be a good thing.  :eek:  

I have no problem with 5-10 shots without fingers protection, but have made the decision that I like my soft, girly fingers the way they are.   :bigsmyl:
Lon Scott

Offline Rich LaBombard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 10:19:00 AM »
A fascinating book, is Chester Stevenson's "From the Den of the Old Bowhunter"..
He talks about his bowhunting buddy (his name escapes me) shooting his 75# bow endlesssly, with bare fingers.
Sorry, that hurts to just think about!
(great book, though)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©