Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Back Tension and Bow Performance  (Read 1662 times)

Offline Tilzbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Back Tension and Bow Performance
« on: March 30, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »
I'm trying to get back into shooting shape after shoulder surgery this February and one of the things I know I need to work on is back tension. So I've been working on really involving the back muscles and pushing the elbow back and it sure seemed like the bow was just smokin' them arrows during practice tonight. I got the chronograph out and shot about 20 arrows through it and I found if I really concentrated on back tension I got about 4 - 5 FPS more speed at what appeared to be the same draw length compared to arrows shot when not concentrating on back tension!

I believe two things happen:

1) When using back tension the release is much cleaner which means more speed, better arrow flight and better accuracy since there's less resistance on the string.

2) When using back tension there is absolutely no creep at full draw. I was always pretty proud of my form, shooting that is, until I video taped it and found I collapse just slightly a split second before release (probably due to a lack of back tension). I was only able to see this at super slow motion but it was apparent I lost about a half inch of draw length and dropped my bow arm about the same just prior to release; note this was so indiscernible several accomplished shooters, one a formal world champion, didn't pick it up until we viewed in slo-mo!

So what are your thoughts on back tension in comparison to bow performance?
One man thinks he can, the other doesn't. Both are right!

Offline Floxter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back Tension and Bow Performance
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 11:40:00 PM »
Scott, I think your findings are representative of what most archers would find if they involved proper back tension in every shot. It's part of what makes Oly shooters such great archers: pulling thru a clicker helps insure proper back tension and inpso facto better speed and accuracy.
Jack

Offline Tilzbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 12:50:00 AM »
Jack,

Great response regarding the clicker and Olympic archers and please understand I'm not disagreeing with you because you are right; a clicker will help your form and back tension. However I will say I've tried the clicker and I've got the collapse so finely tuned, after 10 years of doing it wrong, I didn't notice it until I watched the tape. I'd here the click go off but I can hold afterwards and collapse so quickly I wouldn't notice the next click resulting from the string going forward before the shot! In fact I didn't even hear it on tape it's so close to the release but visually, in slo-mo, it is there.

I do believe the clicker is a great tool to improve form and back tension; but the clicker is just another wrench in the box and we've got to pay attention to all these other little things such as grip, follow through, concentration, head position and so on. I know this challenge is why I love shooting recurves and longbows!
One man thinks he can, the other doesn't. Both are right!

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 10:39:00 AM »
So what are your thoughts on back tension in comparison to bow performance?

Same as yours  :)  ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 11:58:00 AM »
After having major back surgery last year, I have certainly found that lack of back tension hurts overall performance.
 Whereas I am able to draw my bow comfortably, and it feels good to shoot-----I notice that after 15 shots or so, my back starts to fatigue, and I just plain lose it.

I just have learned to shoot just into the fatigue, then stop. I have just been trying to build up to more and more GOOD shots before I stop for the day. Just like anything, I guess we just have to build back up to it.

Jeff

Offline John57

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 12:24:00 AM »
On the last part of my club course "when fitness starts to show" I'll some times shoot low.
Every time it's back tension.
I know this because when the second arrow is shot with the same POA but correct back tension, I recover the shot quite well most times.
It's actualy my worse fault,but even though I know it,it's taking some hard work to fix.
Do they make clickers for hill style longbows ?

Offline estacado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 08:46:00 AM »
I have found 10-15FPS difference in performance with the creep at release. Yesterday with the 48# Dalaa, Epic 600 325gr arrows, 180FPS with the creeping release and 190-195FPS with descent back tension. It does make a difference.

Estacado

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 09:16:00 AM »
I always no when I lose back tension and blow a shot befor the arrow gets there....
    Bad back tension also leads to a bad release also, for me anyway....
    Butt, when ya do everything right, it is so beautiful and fluid....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 03:22:00 PM »
Back Tension leads to human performance that leads to bow performance.

And bow performance aint just 'speed'.  You can have the fastest car on the track by far, but if the back end is loose and you aint got any brakes, the car wont perform very well.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 03:53:00 AM »
If I don't have good back tension, my arrow flies like it is tired. With good back tension, my arrow flies with authority.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Pete Darby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 09:52:00 AM »
What Jerry and Van said.  I have taught people to release with back tension and they have watched their arrows stick much deeper in the target and of course more arrows stick closer to what they are aiming at.  
Now I just need to get it through my own head for every shot.
Pete Darby

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 11:56:00 AM »
I just got over a bout with back tension that I created for myself by trying to extend my draw.  I ended up over-extending my drawing arm which caused me to stop pushing.  Well, when you stop pushing, you stop pulling and there goes your back tension.  

There can be a very subtle difference between pushing with the bow arm and holding with the bow arm.  I think what happens is, you get to concentrating on improving accuracy so much, that you begin to just hold the bow without realizing it.  Anyway, it's something to look at if you're having trouble creeping or getting the bow back.

Hey Pete, thanks a bunch for that comment you made to me about "natural anchor" in your PM.  I had never really given it much thought because, "middle finger in the corner of the mouth" was just how I always shot.  I've been putting some serious effort into it and have made some adjustments that made me much more stable on the heavy bows.  Thanks for making me think!
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline User Name

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2007, 08:51:00 AM »
Sorry, I am too rookie to be able to add anything meaningful.  But can I ask you a question . . .  

There is hope after shoulder surgery?  I am 48 and showing the symptoms but denying it like crazy.   I just took up long bow shooting less then a year ago and am liking the hell out of it.

What weight are you pulling?

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 12:37:00 PM »
I broke my left shoulder last summer. No surgery but proly should have, it proly would have healed faster. I am just now starting to shoot with little pain and the secret is back tension. I tense the muscles in my back when I start to bring my bow arm up. Takes most of the pressure off my shoulder with almost no pain. I can get to full draw and hold no probelm. My release is cleaner and my form has greatly improved from before I was hurt. My shooting has some improvement yet but I am on my way. When I forget to tense up the muscles I feel more pull in the shoulder and after a coulple times of that I am done shooting for the day.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2007, 07:52:00 AM »
Back tension is the key to shooting well with any bow; that's why just about every top compound shooter uses a back tension style release, and Olympic shooters use clickers.  The simple reason for fps increases is that your draw/power-stroke is longer when you use your back and pull through the shot.  The reason your arrows fly cleaner is because using the back frees your arm/hand of tension, resulting in clean releases.  I always know when I don't use proper back tension, because my hand will move off my face away from my body, resulting in a pluck.  With proper back tension, my hand moves straight back and my thumb touches my right shoulder.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©