Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Why has my draw length become less?  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Naphtali

• Trad Bowhunter
Why has my draw length become less?
« on: April 04, 2007, 01:54:00 PM »
I injured my upper back in October, and again in late November.

I have rebuilt myself sufficiently to shoot again -- have been doing so for several weeks.

I had a "just under" 28-inch draw length. I use a tubless string peep sight. Yesterday I confirmed my draw length is now 26-26.5 inches. I did this on a lighter draw weight bow so that I would not strain and influence results.

I don't mind the change. It makes little difference to me one way or the other. I want to know what has happened?
It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why has my draw length become less?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 02:38:00 PM »
Could it be that your a flinching just a bit, your mind is waiting for pain?

Just my 2cents

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 02:40:00 PM »
Back tension?
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Naphtali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 03:29:00 PM »
There was no flinch or anticipation.

Regarding back tension, I'm not sure what you mean. I think I draw the way I've always drawn. The shop staffer who helped me noticed nothing amiss. And I was comfortable drawing and holding.
It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Offline Dragonslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »
The reason is that your back was weakened and your muscles in the chest are stronger..........this is a natural thing, so itdraws your shoulders forward.
You can do back exercises to strengthen your back and you should be doing stretching exercises for your chest...........like a doorway stretch.........put your hands in a hands up position, and put your elbows on the doorjamb, step one foot forward and you will feel your chest muscles stretching....do a count of 100, then change legs and step through again.....this will help get your shoulders back, but you should also do some back strengthening exercises
Better to live on your feet than to die on your knees.

Sincerely
Rich

Offline Dragonslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 03:23:00 PM »
ttt

Sincerely
Rich

Offline Naphtali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 11:56:00 AM »
Rich, you describe a small part of the exercise regimen-physical therapy that brought me back -- sorry about the double entendre.

I can see only two possibilities. Your answer is the complete one, and I may never return to my previous draw length. Or you are partly correct, but also my previous draw length was not as accurate as it should have been.

All I can write is that when I use either my lighter bow, or when I was monitored at the archery shop range, form, anchor -- ease of acquiring full draw and holding -- all appear copasetic. So was I AFU before, or am I still restoring myself to the way I was?

Offline Donnie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 06:00:00 PM »
I have no idea if your injury had an affect on your draw length or not... but what you described is VERY common... in fact it is THE NORM for compound shooters.  (I'm new to Traditional archery... so I really don't know if this applies or not.)

Just about everybody under the sun THINK they have a 28" draw length.  Then... as they get better... they suddenly discover that their draw length is a little shorter than before.  What has happened is that their form is improving and they are beginning to relax.  Their bow shoulder actually collapse back into their socket, causing them to have a shorter draw length.  

BUT!...  By collapsing their shoulder back into their socket... they are actually creating a more stable shooting platform. Often times their proper draw length is about an inch to an inch and a half shorter than what they originally thought it should have been.

Again... I don't know if this applies to Traditional equipment... but this is a common occurrence within the "Other" community.  So... I guess my question is... "Are you relaxing your shoulder muscles so that your shoulder is seating back into it's socket?"  

Just something to consider...

Take care!

Donnie

Offline RamiusEng

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 06:08:00 PM »
Age?
Ray

the "go to":Toelke R/D Whip 62" 55#@28.5

Offline Dragonslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 11:40:00 AM »
Yes, it does happen with traditional equipment......especially going from a compund to traditional gear....where you can get away with making a 28" draw length go to a 30" draw length by shortening your release...........and you're used to drawing all the way back to a consistent anchor with a compound, at first you will draw past and cause your head to turn more....but I agree with the other fellow...you may have sunken into a more solid anchor for yourself.......I would still recommend doing back exercises, and also massage .........I think it would help in the long run, or even a good deep tissue therapist, they can work wonders............just my humble opinion, but breaking up any scar tissue that could be binding you..........

Sincerely
Rich

Offline Dragonslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »
Hey, not related to the ex-president Don?
Not a dig.....just noticed the last name as Clinton:)

Sincerely
Rich

Offline Naphtali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 12:03:00 PM »
I suspect we're reaching the truth.

I cannot be certain that my form has collapsed to one more stable than previously. I can, however, hold at draw longer and more comfortably than in September.

The injuries are not going to heal. I just have to learn to work around them, to transfer as much of the load as I can to supplementary muscles and connective tissue.

Deep tissue massage would be pleasant. Unfortunately, or fortunately??, I live far from everything. Missoula is more than an hour by highway, and Lolo National Forest is about the same time away -- on foot.

I'm not yet 60 -- my goodness, I'm going to be old in 25 years.

Offline Dragonslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »
The deep tissue therapy shouldn't be to bad, but if there is scar tissue to deal with it will definately help, you may be surprised to see yourself reach the point where you were at before your injury..they can do great work in a short amount of time.

Sincerely
Rich

Offline Donnie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 02:30:00 PM »
Dragonslayer,

"Am I related to the ex-pres."  Well... here is the deal.  All of my kin are from Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia, Tennessee, and... Yes... Arkansas.  In fact.... all my kin love telling me that "I'm the only Yankee in the family!"  (I was born In Louisiana.)

So... about Billy.  He is not actually a "Clinton"... he was adopted.  But... the rumor within my family is that Bill's dad died under dubious circumstances... and his mother ACTUALLY DID merry one of my relatives.  (Good looks run deep in our family!   :D   )

Well... what scares me the most is that if I let my hair grow long... it actually looks puffy... and I resemble Bill.  AND!... all of my cousins (except the girls) look a lot like him.

So... for the record... "No... I'm not related".  (Besides... I've never had that kinda luck with women!)

Lord help me if Hillary get into office!

Donnie

Offline Dragonslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2007, 05:56:00 PM »
Just don't start playing the sax and you'll be just fine  :D

Sincerely
Rich

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©