Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: New guy with a question on form  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Sagecreek

• Trad Bowhunter
New guy with a question on form
« on: April 06, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »
I've been a compound shooter for four years and unfortunately I became really bored with it. So, I bought my first recurve a couple weeks ago. I've bought all of the books and have read all of them, but I cant find the answer to this question. When I pull back and anchor, with the top finger in the corner of my mouth and the string resting along the side of my nose, my eye naturally looks to the right of the string. If I cant the bow slightly, my eye ends up looking to the left of the string. When I tilt my head to the right to get it over the arrow I tend to shoot to the left of the target.

Any advise?

Scott

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New guy with a question on form
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 08:52:00 PM »
Just look at the spot you want to hit. don't worry about looking down the arrow or the string. Your mind will put it all together for you after some practice.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 09:50:00 PM »
If you stay at it for long you will see you will adopt a style that works best for you.

To start out I would suggest shooting one arrow at a time, at a very small target, from very close range. Five yards is not too close. As Jeffer said, pay no attention to the arrow, or the string. Get to a comfortable full draw and a comfortable anchor, and concentrate on nothing but the target. As you shoot and your arrows are landing close to the spot you are trying to hit, you can begin to move back.

Good form is useless without total concentration
on the spot you want to hit. Shooting only one arrow at a time helps me maintain good focus and concentration. (There is a break between shots)

I would suggest a 1/2" black dot on a paper plate as a target to start out.

This traditional thing is never boring. Part of the joy is that its up to you. Your eye tells your brain where to hold your bow arm and when to release when its all there.

Watching big fat feathers spin into the target, guided by you and you alone. You will get out of it what you put into it.   ;)

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »
If you're shooting with a canted bow, you're shooting instinctively, I would guess.  At instinctive shooting distances (10-30 yards), you might have better luck shooting with your middle finger touching the corner of your mouth rather than your index finger.  Shooting instinctively, you probably shouldn't worry about where the string is in relation to your eye; with the bow canted, the string and the bow should just be out of your way.  It is a good plan to have your dominant eye over the arrow, but the most important thing is to have your head in a comfortable position that is not forced, so your head ends up in the same position time after time.  Then after you have shot enough arrows, your brain will compensate, and if you miss to the right or the left, it won't be because of an aiming error.

These are the things you should worry about in instinctive archery:

1.  Focus on the target.

2.  Push with your bow arm.

3.  Back tension (get your string elbow in allignment with the arrow at full draw, not sticking out to the side or up or down).

4.  Get your shoulders square with the target (see Terry's clock numerous places on this forum).  Having your shoulder pointing to the left of the target is a major cause of missing to the left.

5.  Have fun!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Doug R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 11:38:00 PM »
Scott get the dvd "Masters of the Barebow" its much better than any book and realy helps when you can see what the guy is talking about.It covers a number of different styles so you can pick and choose.

Offline Sagecreek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 09:45:00 AM »
Thanks for the help everyone! I'm doing ok hitting the target, but sometimes I'll put 6 arrows in a 8" group and other times I'm all over the target. I figured it was me being inconsistent with my anchor point and looking to the right or left of the string just reinforced my thought. Anyway, I love shooting my recurve and I wish I would have started with it 4 years ago! I've been shooting so much I've had to take a couple days off because of a sore elbow and forearm!  :rolleyes:  

Doug R, I'll order the dvd today.

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 12:32:00 PM »
Mc Dave, I must say that numbers 3 and 4 are a couple of the most concise directions I have seen on here.  They allow me to visualize what is meant by elbow in alignment and shoulders square.  Thank you.
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©