Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: what happens? and why do they do it?  (Read 1555 times)

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
what happens? and why do they do it?
« on: April 09, 2007, 12:14:00 AM »
Kind of a strange question. I am curious to know why bows are marked, 59#@28" and 59#@27 and so on"? meaning why not mark thm all at 28"  is there something mechanically that happens to the bow past where you have it tillered so to speak?  ASIDE from added resisatnce, stacking and finger pinch?  I have a 29" draw should I be shooting a bow tillered for a 29" draw?  I have 3 bows @28" and 2@27"  I shoot them all the same...

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: what happens? and why do they do it?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 01:02:00 AM »
Generally speaking, if a bow's weight is marked at a length other than 28", it just means the customer ordering the bow requested the poundage  at his or her draw length. In other words, the bow was a custom order.

Most bows gain or lose about 3 pounds per inch.  A bow marked 60# @ 28" could also be marked 57# @ 27" or 63# @ 29".  The bow would be exactly the same, the only difference being the marked poundage at the specified draw length.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »
yeah thats kind of what I was expecting..Thanks

Offline bowhntrct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 10:57:00 PM »
Thank you for asking I wanted ask that same question    C.T.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,thoroughly used up and worn out,and loudly proclaiming WOW!! What A Ride!!

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 05:29:00 AM »
Correct, I have three that were made for my 29" length.  Two Kotas (TD 51#@29", Swift 55#@29")and a CM Hunter II (56#@29")...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 10:34:00 AM »
Custom Bows are made for specific draw lengths and weights. Stock bows so to say are weighed at 28" is a standard unit of measure for the industry.
In most cases the bow can be drawn a lil longer by a couple inches which of course increases the weight. But you must be aware you can over draw a bow where she'll break on ya.
Shorter never seems to be a problem.
Some bow makers have the bows set to exactly your specific specs to where anything past your requested draw length you have stacking or possible even what I call a wall.
For example I recently picked up a used Howard Hill Half Breed spec'd at 75# at 26".
Since a bow is suppose to climb about 3# per inch I thought this is great since I was lQQking for something around 27.5" at 80#. When I drew back the bow I thought I hd weaken over night. When I scaled the bow it climbed to 84# at 27"  94# at 28"Averaging 9#'s per inch.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 10:50:00 AM »
I have seen that myself....The increas is greater with heavier bows and Lighter with lighter bows.and in the 45-65# range it sits at about 3#per inch.  My 52# at 28" pulls exactly 55# @ 28"....whaich is right where I like it.  However I'm going to have my next bow made at 29" and somewhere around 65" long.

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 01:57:00 PM »
I have never seen greater increases with heavier bows as I have shown above.
Bowyers seem to pull thru there bows to the next inch or so as to not have this happen, also depends on the bows wood composition.
I have a couple bow in the 65 to 75 range at 27 & 28 inches and have never seen this issue with such stacking. Always only the standard 3 to 4 #'s per inch.
My assumption is that where the HH bows of today may be considered custom, their not as custom as say a JD Berry, Black Widow or Tim Miegs etc or even the HH of years ago. Thats why their cheaper with less wait time as the bows I mentioned or others like-em.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 02:08:00 PM »
to call an HH bow custom is just plain silly....

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 02:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Matty:
to call an HH bow custom is just plain silly....
Now where did I put my helmet and riot shield....  :scared:
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 03:28:00 PM »
LMAO  :biglaugh:

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 03:38:00 PM »
Define the term "Custom Made Longbow/Recurve.     :confused:    

Specs received via phone for individual archer, haven't seen any new off the shelf, hand made with chosen woods to order..hhhmmmm.

Is it not custom because their turn around is not a year or more nor upwards of over $750?

Please explain.....   :D    

Here we go........    :smileystooges:  

This may be almost as good as to define instinctive shooting..LOL

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 07:32:00 PM »
Oh i was under the impression that those were stapmed out at the PSEmatthewsHOYT Factory   :jumper:

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 10:13:00 PM »
LMAO  NIce one there....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©