Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Anybody practice with one arrow?  (Read 2306 times)

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
Anybody practice with one arrow?
« on: April 15, 2007, 10:01:00 AM »
I started out shooting wood, as my accuracy got better and better all I was doing was busting arrows. I then switched to carbon. Same result. I bought a dozen two weeks ago and have already messed up 4. Then it dawned on me(you idiot is what I was thinking) start shooting different spots, so I started that. From there I have progressed to just practicing with one arrow. I have found that it really helps with your concentration and furthering your progress. Anyone else only practice with one arrow?

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody practice with one arrow?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 10:50:00 AM »
i do when i stump shoot in the back yard, if i bring a lot, i lose track of them
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline OLDWETDOG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 12:03:00 PM »
It seems to be easier to pick a spot,or concentrate when it's your budies nock. LOL!
 I try not to use my own nock to pick a spot,but  the temptation is there.   :knothead:

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 01:54:00 PM »
All the time.  Shooting one arrow will help you correct errors and improve accuracy quicker than just about anything.  Shooting one arrow at a time forces you to concentrate on each arrow individually, not as a group.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 02:08:00 PM »
I use 3 when stumpin in my back yard. If I make an error in my yardage judgement on a specific target (leave, clump of grass etc..) I want to make the correction on my next 2 shots.

Also, if I'm on target with the first arrow, then I pick out another "target" to shoot my second or third. I only shoot about 20 arrows per session but concentrate and focus on each shot.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline TENBEARS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
I told the guys on another site i did this and they pretty much laughed in my face  :confused:
keep the sun to your back and the wind in your face.

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 08:42:00 PM »
I always practice with only one arrow for several reasons. You seldom get more than one shot when hunting, so learn to make the first one count. And it allows your muscles to recover between shots, when you fatigue you muscles thats when problems begin. Such as snap shooting. I've always shot heavy bows, this allows me to relax while pulling the arrow and selecting the next place to shoot from.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline poekoelan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 04:59:00 AM »
Bob,
I see your point but I have exactly the opposite problem. I find a warm up in order. Once I get that warm up, I can shoot comfortably for a long time. The first shot for me always feels like a heavier bow. Once I get it out of the way, I can shoot and shoot. Maybe I should shoot more often or switch to a lighter bow, but I've already done that once and I like where I'm at. I can shoot for an hour or so comfortably. But those first one or two shots always feel heavy.

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 09:08:00 AM »
Sorta use one arrow.  I rove around the target so the next shot isn't exaclty like the prior one.  I still pick a spot and try to ignore the arrows in the target.  I also like to set up coke cans at various distances and judo the crap out of them.  This usually only cost a few cut feathers but well worth it.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 10:01:00 AM »
All the time.   don't like bustin' up my arrows. also helps me take my time.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Black Gold

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »
My accuracy and consistency improved when I went to shooting only three at a time.  When I went to one it even got better.  100% focus when I shoot one arrow and I dont find my mind wondering about the next shot or my eye fixing on the feathers of the previous arrow.
Cody Weiser

Offline Cecil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 12:32:00 PM »
I practice with one most of the time. It slows me down and I shoot better.

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 10:58:00 AM »
poekoelan:
Nothing wrong with warming up. I think you missed my point. Most people shooting more than one arrow shoot too fast! By shooting only one arrow, walking to the target and back it allows you muscles to relax. And as mentioned several times above, shooting one arrow makes you concentrate on that first and most important shot.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline keith brimmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 08:58:00 AM »
AROMAKR did this last night only shot 20 arrows(usually closer to 40)but they were quality shots.big improvement ive been in a slump this week.

Offline possumtrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »
I have found that if I shoot more than 1 that my focus shifts from accuracy to "shooting more arrows" and have a tendency to hurry the shot. Unless I am working on indurance, I stick to 1 shot; at the most 2... John
possumtrot

Offline **oneshot**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 08:28:00 PM »
I use several targets set up at different ranges and shoot one arrow per target if that counts.  I also do alot of stump shooting.
Pick a spot,  One tiny little spot        **oneshot**

Offline longbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »
Lot's of good advice above. But I think there is no better practice than the ancient sport of 'roving' aka 'stumpshooting', in forest and field. Nowadays, judo points work best, and it is better with more than one archer. Someone picks a target, a leaf, a pinecone, a weed, maybe under a limb or between two of them. Maybe kneeling. All shoot one arrow and the one that is closest picks the next target. It also works as a solitaire sport.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »
I used to practice with 2-3 arrows, but that was because I didn't have any more arrows!  :biglaugh:    :jumper:  
      Sean

Offline manfromthepast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2007, 02:15:00 PM »
I used to shoot with a back quiver on and found I was not concentrating as much as I should on each shot.  I now drop my quiver about 5 yards away from where I am shooting from and have found the extra few seconds it takes to walk over and back is just the right amount of time to make each shot count.  This provides the same benefit as practicing with only one arrow at a time, but also gives you the added benefit of seeing your groups.

Offline nine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2007, 12:04:00 PM »
Two centuries ago Native Indians received their first bow with one arrow .
When they loosed or brooked this arrow they had to build a new one. This was a good way to learn ‘’price’’ of arrow  and be concentrated to maximum when shooting
In an other hand, B.Ferguson use to say that he generally shoots 3 arrows at a time because he cannot keep focus longer ( ! )
For my own part I have no rule, but if I miss a  3D target when training I use to shoot again until I get the result I’m looking for…….   :archer:
Quand on voit ce que l'on voit, que l'on entend ce que l'on entend, on a raison de penser ce que l'on pense .. .. ..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©