Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Physical weight of Bow  (Read 1129 times)

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
Physical weight of Bow
« on: April 16, 2007, 09:44:00 AM »
How much does the physical weight of the bow matter in shooting. Recently I have been shooting an old "1969" Herters Sitka, it has a very large riser, severely recurved limbs, It is the sweetest shooter. Maybe the years of shooting compounds makes my body like the weight of this bow? Maybe because I am shooting woodies?

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Physical weight of Bow
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 05:52:00 PM »
Heavy physical weight helps steady the bow and reduce hand shock.  Don't think you'll get much argument that more weight in the riser makes for a more pleasant bow to shoot.  But, there are always tradeoffs.  It won't be as pleasant to carry hunting 10 miles a day.  

Type of arrow material really doesn't have much to do with it, but the weight of the arrows does.  The heavier the arrows, the more of the bow's energy they capture, also reducing hand shock and quieting the bow in the process.

A lot of folks are discovering that many of the bows made in the 50s and 60s are darn fine shooters, and they're relatively inexpensive as well.  Have fun.

Offline poekoelan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 04:50:00 AM »
It is my belief that physical mass near the center makes for a very forgiving, easy to shoot accurately bow. Just my opinion. I agree with Orion that it wont be pleasant to carry. But compound shooters do it all the time.

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 08:45:00 PM »
That's why they invented stabilizers before most of us wuz born  :D  ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 09:51:00 PM »
I gotta weigh in here......

I have a few R/D longbows that don't have any hand shock....yeah, I know what hand shock is, but I've got a few that have no more than a heavy weight risered recurve.

I think hand shock is caused by design and off tiller....not totally remedied by just adding weight.

The longbows I speak of are pretty dead in the hand let me tell ya.

Also, a light mass weight bow will 'dial in' your form (alignment).......which is a good thing.

Remember, HH, LaClair, Ferguson, all trick shoot/shot with low mass weight risered longbows very well.

Just my 2 cents.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline GroundHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 07:01:00 PM »
I agree with Terry, and happen to prefer very light mass-weight bows. My fav is my HH Welsey Special at 19 oz. It's a 70# draw, feather-light,  whisper-quiet and I shoot it more accurately than any of my other bows.

I have a wonderful Hummingbird TD that is heavy. Very nice, accurate bow, but, it's noisy and heavy.  

Hummingbird has no handshock. The HH Wesley Special has no handshock at all if I hold it right. Hold it wrong and it kicks like a mule. Hold it right, and you can hit a bottlecap at 20 yards, easy.

So, it's up to you what you like and shoot best.
GroundHunter
Mom taught me: "Can't never could and won't never will"

HH Wesley Spl. 66" 85#@28
HH Black Bear. 66" 73#@28
Instinctive shooter, like wood arrows. Stalk & still hunt.
Dream: wingshooting ducks and quail

Offline Problem Child

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 07:51:00 AM »
My one piece Pronghorn weighs in at about 1.25 lbs and has no handshock and is very quiet.
"Right Wing Extremists"....has a nice ring to it don't it?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©