Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Arrows kicking up!  (Read 1241 times)

Offline clayton95

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrows kicking up!
« on: April 17, 2007, 12:49:00 AM »
I bought a Martin Savannah Lonbow recently and have not been able to tune my arrows to fly well from it. I have never shot a longbow before and would like some imput. The bow is right handed, #55@28" and I am pulling it to 31", so the weight is about #63 at that draw length. I am shooting full length gold tip traditional 75-95 arrows with three 5" right wing helical feathers, 125 grain heads and 3 grains per inch weight tubes. My total arrow weight is about 635 grains. I've tried my nock height as low as 1/8" all the way to 5/8" and have the same problem no matter what I do. I've tried axis 340's and they do the same thing. My nock end kicks up and to the right. I shoot the same gold tip arrows out of my recurve with no problems at all. Any suggestions would be a big help. Thanks

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrows kicking up!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 08:04:00 AM »
I would guess you are overspined using 7595 Gold Tips.  My experience with longbows is that the require a lower spined arrow than a comparable weight of recurve.  With a somewhat comparable setup, I use 5575 Goldtips with 140 grain points and another 50 grains of weight behind the front adapter.

The best choice would be to get 5575 and 7595 bare shafts and try them with various weights until you get something that flys well for you.  If you don't want to do that, you might try 200 grain points on the setup you are already using and see if you get better arrow flight that way.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 09:05:00 AM »
Even 5/8's might be a bit low for some bows and/or releases and the arrow is bounding off the shelf.  I have one bow that likes a solid 3/4 nock.  Just something else to try.  I think the arrows go left and right when over/under spined and up and down is controlled by nock point.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 01:35:00 PM »
Check the tiller on your bow. When mine were kicking up and i could not find out why i found out I had negative tiller on my recurve.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline bgram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 01:37:00 PM »
McDave answered it right, the 75/95 GT's are going to spine out at around 100-110 lbs.  You're not getting enough into the arrow to make it start the paradox, most likely causing it to slam into the shelf, or drag across. I shortened my draw up from 30.5 to 28, so as not to have to deal with the extra length and problems in tuning.  The 55/75's with a 50 grain adapter and probably around 125 or 145 should work out for you.

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 01:50:00 PM »
Light spine will wiggle left and right.  To stiff will hit the bow because not enough paradox to clear.  If arrows are to stiff you should be getting a pretty good crack at the shot from hitting the bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline clayton95

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 12:57:00 AM »
Thanks for all the imput on my problem. I've got it figured out. Shooting Beman mfx 400s and they are flying great with no kick. The spine was definitely the problem. Spine is definitly a lot more critical with a longbow.

Offline Hardhed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 12:04:00 PM »
You might also try a different brace height.  I also have a savannah and had bareshaft arrows taking a nose dive at 25-30 yards.  I eventually went down to a 6 1/4 brace height and they fly great, and faster too.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©