Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Why different bows hit in different places?  (Read 1087 times)

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Why different bows hit in different places?
« on: April 22, 2007, 10:54:00 AM »
All of my bows, mainly BW bows, but including both recurves and longbows, group close enough to the centerline of the target that I can switch from bow to bow without noticing any difference in where the arrows are hitting.

All of them, that is, except for my new DAS Dalaa, which groups maybe 6" to the right of where the other bows group.  It also groups high, but I can understand that as I am shooting a lighter arrow and have a lower knocking point on the Dalaa.  Some of my other bows also group higher or lower, depending on arrow speed, but that doesn't really bother me.  All my bows, including the Dalaa, are shooting well-tuned arrows, and all shoot as tight a group as I am capable of shooting.

The Dalaa has an adjustible side plate (not a plunger, but where the plunger would go if there were one) as a part of the arrow rest, and I have considered moving that out some, to see if that would move the group to the left some, but it is already adjusted so that the tip of the arrow is slightly to the left of centershot, as per instructions, and I have the idea that this would affect arrow flight more than where the arrow hits.  Plus, the arrow rest isn't all that wide, and is clearly designed for the side plate to be about where it is, and moving the strike plate very much one way or another moves the arrow off the center of the arrow rest.

I shoot instinctively, and after shooting the Dalaa for about a week, the group moves on over where it should be, but then if I switch back to another bow, the group starts out to the left of where it should be.

Any ideas as to why one bow would shoot so much to the right of my other bows?  Should I try to do anything about this, or just live with it?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline DEERSLAYER1961

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why different bows hit in different places?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 11:54:00 AM »
I see no reason why you can't tune this bow to hit where the others do.  Have you properly tuned this bow, are you using the same arrows as on your other bows, if you are they may be incorrect.  Is the shelf cut more past center than the other bows?  You should be able to tune the bow to shoot where you want it to not where it wants you to.  Give more info on your arrows, and draw weights.

>DEERSLAYER---->
"FEAR THE MAN WITH ONE BOW"

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 03:44:00 PM »
The draw weight of the Dalaa is about 53# at my draw length of 27 1/2".  I'm shooting Gold Tip 3555's, which I have bare shaft tuned to the bow, with 145 grain points, and an additional 20 grain weight behind the front insert.

The closest bow I have to this is a 56# BW recurve, which I have also bare shaft tuned to use the same arrow, with the same setup in front on the arrow, but with the addition of another 20 grain weight on the rear insert, which balances for the additional weight.

The Dalaa is cut more past center than my other bows.  That's the only reason I can figure as to why it shoots to the right.  It is a really strange feeling, after having shot so many arrows instinctively, watching the arrows arc toward the target, then shooting the Dalaa and expecting the arc to go in one direction and seeing it go to the right of that direction.

If the reason it's shooting to the right is because it's more center shot, I suppose maybe that could be corrected by moving the arrow strike plate so the arrow leaves the bow pointed a little more to the left.  But the question is, the bow seems to be designed for the arrow to be close to center shot, and seems to be a really fine bow, so I wonder if I would be cheating myself out of some of it's performance by fooling around with it.  I'll admit I'm not a good enough archer to tell the difference between a 3" group and a 3 1/2" group; I'd be delighted with either one, and I'd like to at least keep the potential of bow to shoot at its best.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline estacado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 07:03:00 PM »
McDave, I m shooting 3555s 29 1/2" long with My Dalaa set at 44#. This is with 125gr points with no extra point weight. My thought is the arrows are showing weak with the extra point weight. I shoot the same set up with my 55# Hoyt limbs on the same Dalaa riser.

Like you I am shooting off the shelf, and have been shooting Gapstinctive. I find dropping the brace height slightly might help the arrows hitting right by stiffening them up slightly. Then reducing point weight to 125 with out any additional weight might help. Then of course moving the strike plate slightly to the left might help. I m shooting my Dalaa with 1/4" positive tiller and 5/8" nock above the arrow.
This works with all 3 sets of limbs I have for the Dalaa. Im shooting Epic 600s with 125gr
points in my 35# and 45# set up and am shooting
the 3355s in the 45# and 55# set up. The 5575 seem too stiff for the 55# setup. Hope this helps, thats what we are here for.

Estacado

Offline DEERSLAYER1961

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 08:35:00 PM »
I would start by moving the strike out a little bit at a time... this will bring the arrow to the left, and stiffen it at the same time.  Try this, and only this first, and see what happens.  If this fixes it great... if not than try brace height.  If you change two things at the same time you will start to mess things up, and not know what is working, and what is not.

>DEERSLAYER---->
"FEAR THE MAN WITH ONE BOW"

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 12:00:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  I'll try it and let you know what happens.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline longbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 11:25:00 PM »
If any two bows both shoot where you look from the start, you are one lucky archer! Mostly, you have to tune them from scratch to shoot where you look, and maybe get a different tab for the new bow.

Soooooo, you could try cranking out that arrow plate, but I would suggest starting all over to find the perfect shaft and tune for the new bow. The bowyer should be able to get you started on the right track. Leave the new shafts overlong to start with and obtain at least three different weights of arrowheads. Then check the good reference sources and start tuning. Keep on tuning until your hunting arrows hit dead solid perfect exactly where you look. That's my advice.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©