Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: important aspects of featers  (Read 1074 times)

Offline RySanpei

• Trad Bowhunter
important aspects of featers
« on: April 22, 2007, 04:05:00 PM »
Can you guys help me out.  I've been told so many things about shape, size and configuration.  Just wondering if anyone has some facts about feathers.  For example if I am using 4 5" feathers for hunting, is there really that much difference in using 4 4" feathers?  I really can't tell a difference out to fifty yards, and I chrono'd it out to 25 (to scared to shoot at my chrono past that). I'm trying to find that happy medium for my hunting arrows.  Nothing is wrong with my set up, but I am always looking to improve my set up if possible.
Thanks Ryan

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: important aspects of featers
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 03:00:00 AM »
Only difference I can tell ya is that some feather shapes are a bit noisier then others. Also, the bigger and more feathers you use creates more drag and can cause a bit slower arrow flight.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 08:19:00 PM »
Ryan:
Where you will really see the difference is in a cross wind, more feather more it effects flight. When your arrow starts tacking into the wind, penetration is really effected.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »
Alot of it is just what you think looks good. The other is that some shapes will be noisier than others on a given bow. What is quiet on yours might be noisy on mine.

The bottom line is that you need just enough feather to effectively steer your broadhead tipped arrow to its target. Any more than that isn't really necessary although you may prefer the look.
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline RySanpei

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 03:07:00 AM »
Thanks guys,
I've been using 5" four fletch with great results.  I know if it aint broke don't fix it, but I can't live by that motto.LOL.  There has been some talk lately about people getting their best results with 4" four fletch.  I tried it today with great results.  Paper tuned it from 0-25 yards.  Both the 5" and 4" arrows clear the shelf well. (used the lipstick test).  Both fly true though paper.  Both fly at similar speeds out to 25 yards.  So I'm thinking in crosswinds I'm better off with the four inch. What about a poor release? Can bigger feathers actually clean up a poor release? Does bigger feathers actually cause arrows to drop that much at distances past 30? I know that a well tuned shaft will get great flight from minimal fletching.  I just want the best for my hunting arrows.  
Thanks Ryan

Offline Teknoclash

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 09:37:00 PM »
I tried 4" feathers in a 60/120 fletch and they did good with field tips but were erratic with broadheads. Went back to 3 5" feathers.
Howard Hill longbow "Halfbreed"
TradTech Black Onyx

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©