Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Shoulder / neck PAIN!  (Read 1090 times)

Offline HumbleHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Shoulder / neck PAIN!
« on: April 27, 2007, 09:17:00 PM »
Hey guys,
I think I've pulled a muscle in my shoulder and neck. I believe it's the very end of my right Lat where it connects to the bone beside the mid and rear deltoids in the shoulder. I remember about a month ago while doing some push-ups that I pinched or pulled or did something and it hurt for a couple weeks. HOWEVER, I've been doing alot of fence building at work so, I don't know if that's done it or shooting has. I have a 60# Damon Howatt Hunter which I have NOT been shooting cause it hurts but I have been shooting a 43# Ben Pearson recurve just a couple times this month. When I do shoot some shots hurt as soon as I start to hold the bow up, other shots doesn't hurt all through the shot.

It's really wild because sometimes the easiest thing hurts, like putting deoderant on will light me up, but then I can lift 250# corner posts and not hurt. I don't get it.

Any of yall had this happen???

Do yall know any exercises to do???

Any idea of whats happened???

Right now I am just trying not to do anything to hurt it. I've had shoulder problems before when I was throwing axes and knifes alot but, it's different then that.

When I shot I was doing pretty good up close but I didn't shoot long. IT'S KILLING ME NOT SHOOTING!!!!!!

Any suggestions would be great, thanks, HH

Offline Anvil

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shoulder / neck PAIN!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 06:58:00 AM »
I'm in the same boat brother. I have been dealing with pain, clicking and popping in the same area you described. I've been told it is scarring of the ligaments from many previous small tears and possibly a slight new tear. The advise I was given from someone I trust is to use ice and  moist heat, don't over use it and it will heal on its own. I am not someone who can go out and shoot only six arrows, 6 turns into 86 real fast. I had to give my shooting gloves and tabs to my wife to hide. That way shooting bare finger I only take six shots at a time:) I know I probably didn't answer your question but I thought I would share your pain.
God Bless.
Curt
Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him.      Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.
Psalm 127:3-4

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 07:48:00 PM »
Got the same thing.  After a lifetime of abuse to my body I hate to blame the shooting, and yes 6 arrows turn into 100.  I know I will always hurt some, but have decided to take 3 or 4 weeks off shooting.  At least that part will heel some.  Now if I can figure out how to quit working I'll be in great shape.  Al
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline HumbleHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 12:00:00 AM »
Anvil, I know what you mean, I can't shoot just 6 shots either. I can't stop thinking about shooting either!!!! Thanks for the post. I'm glad to at least know whats prolly going on some anyways. I hate it that you're in the same boat but, if you gotta be in it, WELCOME ABOARD MATE!

Al, I'm gonna do the same thing, take maybe a month off shooting, I've had shoulder problems before and I know it's not worth really wrecking it. There's plenty of fishing anyways.

You fellas have a good day, HH

Offline Shaggy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »
Let it heal! Don’t push it, build some arrows do some scouting and give it time to fix itself. If that doesn’t work get a diagnosis from a professional it may not be muscular. Natural, prescribed or over the counter anti inflammatory could help as well as point injections. I ruptured 2 disks in my neck that repaired themselves in 6 months without surgery stared at my bow the whole time very depressing. Shoot almost every day now.

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 02:55:00 AM »
HH, lemme tell you something, bud...

PAIN IS MENTAL!  ITS ALL IN YOUR HEAD! Block it out and keep pulling that bow. In fact, if you can find a heavier bow than that Howatt, pull that one!  Feel the burn...and snap into a SlimJim!

Honestly, take it easy for a while, and work slowly back into it, with that Pearson Cougar, first. Remember my dads story? He used to pull a 60lb bow until he blew his shoulder out after taking 6 months off. Now he's pretty much confined to bows 45lbs and lighter.

Heating pads, ice packs and Vitamin I (ibuprofin) can help the discomfort. Dads chiropractor told me that after shooting and I'm sore, that I should rotate between a heat pack and cold pack, at 15 minute intervals for an hour after shooting. Could try that. But for now, I'd just lay off the bow for a while, then pick it up slowly with that 43lb'er. Luckily, at your age you still heal really quickly. When I was 17 and I got blasted by that car and broke my shoulder, I was casting for catfish 2 months later.

Good luck man!   We fishing this weekend or what?? I gotta check your new ride out. My tubes all aired up and I'm ready to do some crankin, yankin and ripping some lip!

Cam

Offline HumbleHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 04:31:00 PM »
Yah Buddy, I'm good to go! Limiting out on them crappie fired me up!!!!

I hear ya bout taking it easy, I hadn't shot for a couple weeks and I shot a few yesterday with the 43 and it's not bugging me today. I'm not going to shoot the 60 or anything but, it's healing up I think.

Thanks all you guys for the posts! HH

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »
a good chiopractor will get ya back inthe game!!! mark#78  :D    :thumbsup:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©