Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Shot distances at trad 3D shoots?  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Shot distances at trad 3D shoots?
« on: May 05, 2007, 10:57:00 PM »
Just wondering what the distances are like at some of your trad only shoots? I know the ASA is 25 yards and IBO is 30 but I have heard some people talking about shoots being out to 40 and 50 yards at some shoots.

I am just curious as I have not been to any shoots outside of the Columbus area and they for the most part stick to ASA rules. When I was in Washington I went to a couple but can not remember how far we shot. I do know that I lost plenty of arrows on the steel deer and rocks that were behind some targets but for the life of me I can not remember distances.

Chris

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shot distances at trad 3D shoots?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 11:39:00 PM »
I went to one of our biggest traditional 3-D shoots sponsored by Traditional Bowhunters of Texas a few weeks back and most of the shots seemed to be no longer than around 25yds. There, however, may be several obstacles in the way that will cause you to have to think about the shot. There also were some longer but they were very large targets. I remember a couple of elk that seemed to be about 35 or 40 yds. and a buffalo in an open field that was about 50 or so. I enjoy shooting at long distances because I like to watch the arrow fly. Although these are not shots that are encouraged under true hunting conditions most 3-D shoots are about competition also. I enjoy the challenge of shooting targets at long distances and like I said, I like to watch the arrow fly.
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Offline charlie brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 12:08:00 AM »
CLS Most of the trad. shoots in Calif are not over 50yrds.But there are some mixed shoots trad &comp.that we shoot the same yardage 80 to 100 yards.

Charlie Brown.

Offline PigStikker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 12:28:00 AM »
Most of the shots at the KTBA shoots are 30 and under, with the longer shots coming on bigger targets.  Once in a blue moon, Randy will set a 40 yarder, but it's rare and usually off a hill or something.  I will tell you this though, he is one creative man when it comes to setting targets for our shoots.  One of the most often heard phrases at a KTBA shoot:  "Jeez, what was he thinkin'?"    :)    BTW, you are a GREAT setter Randy.  

Matt
Form and Focus

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 01:09:00 AM »
30 yard max is what is here, but
 To often the targets are set so you hope for foam instead of being able to expect to shoot points. 30 is fine for a moose or elk but not a coyote.
 Also they seem to like setting up shot angles you should never take, or have shots with so many obsticals in front you would never take the shot if it was real game.

Every shot should represent a shot that is reasonable to take if it was real game.
 Poor target placement gives novices the wrong ideas about what to shoot on live game.Often they attend and think it is good hunting practice. This is only true if the shots available represent what we should be doing.
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline MYSTIKBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 06:48:00 AM »
I'm off to one this morning. This corse sets all it's targets out to distances acording to IBO rules. All shots are set up as close to real hunting conditions as possible. With Max yardage set around 25yrds.
I reckon so

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 11:32:00 AM »
I like shooting the longer shots as well but when it comes down to a shoot I use my stake. I have a real hard time with accuracy over 33 yards but still love to fling arrows at 40 and 50 yards.

I would really like to go to a shoot that does target setups with animals in trees and areas you would not expect to see them. For the most part here the targets are out in the open with a few that may be between trees or behind a log.

Thanks for all the responses.

Chris

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 11:40:00 AM »
Around here nearly all of the trad targets are set up at what used to be the Pee Wee stakes.  I just refuse to shoot that close and always shoot from the IBO hunter stakes.  With my 75-80# bows those 25yd. and under shots are all the same hold and really don't present much of a challenge.  That being said, I never shoot over 25 yds. at deer while hunting so go figure!

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 02:07:00 PM »
Most of the shoots here in Texas have max of 30yards for traditional shooters.  I have recently had to re-think my practice distance. I have spent a great deal of time on shooting the 35 - 45 yard shots.  No! I don't plan to shoot that far, however it is often suprising that you can get pretty good at those distances.  I like to shoot them because problems in form really show up at those distances.  Most of us have a tendency to drop our bow arms at those distances,  guess what guys and gals, we do it a the shorter ones too!  Shooting distance for practice, 3D should be different from those in hunting.  I think a lot of us are doing everything we can do to take the "hunt" out of hunting.  You know, getting close, and I like to get so close I can count their eyelashes ....Nuff Said.
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 10:29:00 AM »
"Every shot should represent a shot that is reasonable to take if it was real game.
Poor target placement gives novices the wrong ideas about what to shoot on live game.Often they attend and think it is good hunting practice. This is only true if the shots available represent what we should be doing." Maybe they should learn how to shoot first. The object of 3D is fun. If you want to compete, then practise, Shots out to 50 yards are fun. 25, 25, 25, is boring.

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 03:44:00 PM »
When I went to shoot today I showed the shop owner my Kempf hes an old fella and he really enjoyed the bow he use to shoot trad in his younger days he said that the shoot he went to they had guys shooting 80 yards!
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Starkman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 11:06:00 AM »
The last traditional shoot I attended, a friend of mine set the range and the farthest shot was approximately 38 yards, and the target was large (I can't remeber if it was a caribou or not).  From the reaction of the participants, myself included, distance isn't too much a problem just as long as folks aren't losing arrows.

To remedy the realistic huntng shots with the trashy fun shots on some stations he would set two targets and you could shoot either one, or both and score your highest arrow......folks loved it.  This allowed the archers who are score sensitive to shoot open shots but also try shooting around trees, leaning, through brush etc.  I believe those trashy shots although not realistic hunting shots, are lots of fun.  I believe it shows the hunter his limits and what not to try although tempting.  Intersting what a small branch, knelling or leaning, getting out of form can do to ones shooting.
Bob
"You're never beaten until you admit it." - General George S. Patton, Jr

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 01:16:00 PM »
I shot a 3D yesterday that was a lot of fun. The shortest shot was maybe 12 yards at a carp. Furthest was about 48 yards at a moose. Aside from that there were maybe 10 at 20 yards, with the rest being 23-35.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©