Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Couple questions after shooting for a week  (Read 1129 times)

Offline mfh

• Trad Bowhunter
Couple questions after shooting for a week
« on: May 07, 2007, 11:07:00 PM »
OK  Wanted to run a couple things by you guys.  I have been shooting a 45lb Bob Lee recurve to work up to the 55lb Border I got from cqc10.  Been shooting at ten yards, and have been grouping about 4" groups - with a few 6" groups here and there.

Been shooting about 100 shots a session, probably five times over the past week.  I went back to 15yds to try a few from there, and my shots opened to six inches...with more frequent strays (usually with in 12").  So I moved back to 10yds...lots of time to get it right - but I was curious.  I am using the Asbell video as my teaching guide - and things seem to work well.  

So my questions...I am shooting with a Damascus glove, and I have a bit of a sore ring finger.  It feels tender.  Middle finger feels a little sore as well, pointer maybe slightly, but not really.

Is this par for the course when new?  No other ailments to speak of and everything else feels great.  Any thoughts?

Also - for my nocking point, I have read about it and picked a spot where when eyeing the shaft, it is just high enough to have the fletchings clear the shelf.  Arrows seem to fly well...should I mess with it?  My shots are not particularly always going left, right high or low...I can tell when I pluck the string my shots are not as good...but otherwise, I can not say there is a trend in a particular direction.  Again, I am only a week in so I would like to think 4" groups is ok...but should I be shooting better and do you think my "random" nock point selection could be hindering better groups?  (There are so many more aspects to shooting trad over compound that I am always thinking and trying to shoot slow to ensure I am getting proper form.)

Just looking for a sanity check...

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Couple questions after shooting for a week
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 11:19:00 PM »
4"?  I'd say you're doing just fine!  Hard to say about the nock point.  I usually have mine somewhat above perpendicular to the string, but if they are flying OK for you it is probably good for now.  Keep working and concentrating on learning proper form - the rest will fall into place as you go.  As for your fingers, I don't have experience with what you describe, but it sounds like you are just having so much fun you are shooting a lot a feeling it.  Shorter practice sessions with fewer arrows may help that, and you will actually practice better if you don't over do it.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline mfh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »
Thanks Whip.  I shoot three...walk to the target, shoot three and repeat.  I find myself saying - OK last three....but then can not stop.  It is a thrill shooting "instinctive."  An hour flys by...

I don't have any friends that shoot trad, and with my work schedule, getting with a group will always be hard so I will probably have to rely on the group for my mentoring and to make sure I am tracking.  

I hope that the soreness is just "over shooting" and not indicative of a style or form issue...but I am interested whatever you guys think. The shorter sessions are probably spot on...but I get so excited and want to keep shooting...

Offline keith brimmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 12:46:00 PM »
MFH lots of imfo on this site and you can learn a ton.i too have a problem with shooting too much i used to shoot 3 arrahs at a time but went to 1 just to slow me down.quality not quantity it improved my practise.still have a problem quitting though, i keep saying 1 more shot.terry 's shot clock on form made the biggest impact on my shooting
good luck

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 02:13:00 PM »
A sore ring finger can be from torquing the string or an overly high elbow.  Any way you can video your shot from several angles like many have done?

If you've only been at this a week....sounds like you are well on your way.

I shot a lot of arrows too when trying to re-learn after I put down the compound, and I think that was a good thing, but always quit on a good shot and while you are still anxious to shoot more, NOT till you are wore out.

Keep at it for a couple more weeks and report back.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
mfh,
You are doing fine for one week.  As for how much to shoot, my rule is that when I can't focus tightly on what I want to hit, it's time to quit.  That might be ten shots or a hundred.  You will know when the arrows don't go where you want them to.

You didn't give me enough info to say much about the sore fingers.  Are you using a glove, tab, or bare fingers?  You might be torqueing the string or suffering pinch from a short bow.  Maybe you just need to give your fingers time to toughen up a bit.  Mostly, be sure you are having fun!
John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 06:35:00 PM »
Terry is right about the sore finger causes.I would also add.That always keep your finger location on the string consistant.Sore fingers have a tendency to move around on string.
My biggest problem going from release to fingers is my release hand pulls away from my face.I found if I tell myself to touch my shoulder on release it dose wonders for my shot alignment.

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 02:24:00 AM »
I shoot from the first groove now, instead of from the pad of my fingers.
What is your contact point?
Sounds like you might be shooting a bit much.
Maybe every other day 'till the fingers don't hurt.
Or maybe go roving and just pick a few random targets and use a judo or some point to help keep the arrows from loss.
Roving and shooting various distances can give you some good idea of the arrows trajectory and help you get used to 'instinctive' if you have a 'memory' of the arrow in flight at different distances.
Have fun.  :archer:
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©