Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Questions for Gap Shooters  (Read 1075 times)

Offline Tilzbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Questions for Gap Shooters
« on: May 11, 2007, 12:06:00 AM »
After 10+ years of shooting with a conscience aiming method I've been messing around with gap shooting recently and I've determined my point on is about 60 yards shooting split finger anchoring with my middle finger in the corner of my mouth. I'd like to narrow the gap and move the point on closer than 60 yards. That said I think I've got this right but please confirm:

1) If I move the arrow nock closer to my eye by anchoring higher will this narrow the gap? Three fingers under would probably do this, right?

2) If I lengthen the arrow will this narrow the gap?

BTW - Number 2 isn't much of an option since I draw 31.25" and shoot a 32" arrow but I thought I'd ask!

Second set of questions since I was having a little trouble with windage. Keeping in mind I shoot right handed:

1) If I move the nock of the arrow closer to the center of my face will it move the point of impact to the right? Or said a different way since I can't draw a picture on this post! - If at anchor the arrow's nock is right of the vertical line between it and my right eye and I move the nock left so it's in a vertical line with my eye will it impact to the right?

Thanks in advance since your correct answers could save me some experimentation and frustration!
One man thinks he can, the other doesn't. Both are right!

Offline Double Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Questions for Gap Shooters
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 07:23:00 AM »
The answer to your first 2 questions is yes, both will narrow your gaps as will a heavier/slower arrow...

I shoot 3 under with a medium to high anchor and with a 50lb bow my point on is 30yds.  I also shooot arrows about 4 inches longer than I need..

I'm not a dedicated gapper, but I still like having the small gaps.

I'm not quite sure I follow your last question, but I would assume if you change the left/right portion of your anchor, your arrows will react as well.  However, you can play around with your shelf material to offset it.

Offline Pete Darby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 07:54:00 AM »
If you are having trouble with windage you are doing something wrong.  When I corrected my form left/right ceased to be a problem.  You might want to pick up a copy of Master's of the Bare Bow.  You don't need to pay a lot of attention to the verbage, but rather run it on slow motion and look at what the various archers have in common.  I think you will find that they all have a straight line between their pulling elbow and their arrow tip and their release is a back tension release in an exact opposite direction to the way the arrow is pointing.  Where they anchor on their face is not as important as the alignment of the bow and their arms. Some anchor three under, split finger low and high.  The face anchor is a back sight (even for instinctive shooting, remember consistency)
Pete Darby

Offline Tilzbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 10:56:00 PM »
I don't disagree that inconsistent form can cause problems with windage. I should've wrote that I'm have trouble figuring out the effect of the anchor placement on windage not that I'm having trouble with inconsistent windage.

At the end of his post Pete wrote, "The face anchor is a back sight (even for instinctive shooting, remember consistency)."

I couldn't agree more but I still can't figure it out for sure!

Let's say point on is 30 yards and let's assume my form is perfect except for the anchor placement. I stand 30 yards away from the target, come to full draw and place the point of the arrow directly on the spot I want to hit. Let's also say there's an imaginary vertical line from my right eye to the ground. Now at full draw the arrow is right of the vertical line vs. anchoring directly on the vertical or directly under my right eye. Will this cause the arrow to shoot to the left of point on?
One man thinks he can, the other doesn't. Both are right!

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 01:34:00 PM »
As you move your anchor from left to right with respect to your dominant eye, the arrow's impact will shift to the opposite side. As your anchor moves to the right, your arrow should impact left.

That being said, there are ways to shift your arrow's lateral point of impact without adjusting your anchor or eye placement. Centershot, plunger tension (if you shoot a plunger) and brace height will all have impact. Just make sure you bareshaft tune accordingly.

Offline henpeckedmuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 07:30:00 PM »
Dear lord so much to say about so little. YES if you move your anchor closer to the center of your face it will cause your arrow to shoot farther right.
   That being said poor back tension will also makeyour arrow shoot left as will plucking your string and/or peeking to watch arrow flight and probably half a dozen other things.So try moving your anchor point and hope it helps. If not have someone observe your form and try to help you.

Offline Pete Darby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 08:00:00 AM »
"so much to say about so little" I call that hitting the nail on the head Henpeckedmuch. I watched a guy consistenly shoot left one day and he was doing about everything right, except he was sort of twisting his head around to get his sight picture. I told him what I saw, he corrected and suddenly he was hitting what he was aiming at. Everything from poor spine choice to (your choice) could be the problem.  The real answer is probably in your last line.
Pete Darby

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©