Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: ARROWS TOO LARGE AND OVER SPINED?  (Read 1268 times)

Offline texas terror

• Trad Bowhunter
ARROWS TOO LARGE AND OVER SPINED?
« on: May 29, 2007, 11:25:00 PM »
IM SHOOTING A FRED BEAR GRIZZLY 45# @28 IN. MY ARROWS ARE XX75 2117 THAT ARE 31.5 INCHES LONG(WITH 125 GR FEILD TIP AND WHOLE NOCK). ARE MY ARROWS TOO BIG FOR MY BOW? I GROUP WELL OUT TO 20 YARDS BUT HAVENT REALLY WORKED FARTHER.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ARROWS TOO LARGE AND OVER SPINED?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 12:25:00 AM »
What is your draw length? Those 2117's with 125 gr. point will weigh over 525 grs. with a .407 spine.Depending on your draw length a 1916 may work out good for you.Have you shot a 2117 bare to see how they fly? They are probably alittle stiff for your bow.

Offline texas terror

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 12:31:00 AM »
yeah thats what i think. i also have some 2013s i think they may do better. i have a 29 inch draw. do i need to add some weight to the 2013s to hunt some pigs. i have killed lots with my training wheels but never with stick and string.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 01:08:00 AM »
A 2013 has a spine of 0.610 and a 1916 has a spine of 0.623 they are pretty close in spine but the 1916 is about 30 grs. heavier.Some guys like heavy arrows for penetration but I think also if your arrows are tuned and flying well they would kill a pig.A 2013 will fly flatter for you then a 2117.

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 12:21:00 PM »
If you are pulling 48# those 31 1/2" 2117 125gr point should be close.  I shoot that exactly out of my GP cazador 50 @30 FF and they may need to be shortened for me.  Seem a little weak.  If you shoot a B-50 string might need 145gr.  none the less tose 2117s should be in the ball park.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline nine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 12:25:00 PM »
Do You know what 2117 means ?
21 is arrow diameter and 17 the thickness of the tube

It is to better privilege the thick, choose shafts with the two last highest numbers

Ex: 1916 tube is thickness than 2013. I use to thing that aluminium shafts must be at least XX16 for training. A 2013 hitting target will twist very easily specially when you pull it from target   :wavey:  

Big shafts very thin were made for competitors to get some rare point with bigger arrows possible.
 If you hunt small tube will penetrate better than big one .

French thought
Quand on voit ce que l'on voit, que l'on entend ce que l'on entend, on a raison de penser ce que l'on pense .. .. ..

Offline texas terror

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 08:45:00 PM »
I HAVE ONE MORE QUESTION IM SHOOTING A 420 GRAIN ARROW AT 161FPS. THE KINETIC ENERGY CHARTS SAY THAT ITS NOT ENOUGH TO HUNT MEDIUM SIZED GAME. IM JUST WONDERING IS ANYONE ELSE HAVE THAT PROBLEM.

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 03:18:00 PM »
I try to avoid going by what the charts say. In fact, I'm trying to keep the science out of traditional archery altogether.

I killed a pig with an unweighted 35/55. Think the total weight of the arrow was around 340gr.

In my opinion, shot placement will trump arrow weight.

Cam

Offline nine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 04:37:00 PM »
True, shoot placement is the ( first ) key , then  impact angle of the arrow compared to the target, ( game ) with quality of the edge of the blade.
Anyway shoot heavy .
Quand on voit ce que l'on voit, que l'on entend ce que l'on entend, on a raison de penser ce que l'on pense .. .. ..

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 08:28:00 AM »
uh... Not what you probably want to hear, but my lesson about overspined arrows learned the hard way... but probably you know what you should do.....

Well my exepeience goes like this... I was shooting 50lb bow w/2117 with 125 grn snuffers...

Yeah overspined, so what I thought... Big feathers will str8en it out...

Guess what? Hitting fine out to 20-25 yds or so... so opening day, I sit up against a tree near a trail got caught in a lil shower... Not bad, so the hunt goes on... a nice 85-90 lb doe comes down the trail to my right @8 yds and stops to look over her shoulder offering a perfect quartering away shot...   :D  

I ease up, pick a spot, bear down on it, never even remember the draw and release... the arrow is away...but the arrow being so overspined and feathers wet is flying almost sideways when it hits near the last rib angling towards the off shoulder... penetration was not good!!!   :knothead:

I'd suggest you get the  arrows to tune well out of the bow first... You'll shoot more consisently, broadheads will fly better... and you won't feel sick over wounding and losing  an animal because of a dumb decision... a bad shot maybe... but not from poor equipment choices...
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©