Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: fast flight vs. standard strings  (Read 1124 times)

Offline IowaBob

• Trad Bowhunter
fast flight vs. standard strings
« on: May 30, 2007, 11:16:00 PM »
I'm thinking about buying a used bow that only handles the non-fastflight, "standard strings".  With a 26" draw at 58 lbs, how much slower will this bow be vs. a new bow of the same model (Robertson) that takes fast flight strings?  

I'm thinking of using the used bow for elk.  I have a bow that I can easily shoot with, but its only 46 lbs.  Thougths?

Offline Bird Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: fast flight vs. standard strings
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 11:43:00 AM »
When I've gone from FF to Dacron I've lost about 3-5 fps--kinda depends on how efficient the bow is to start with.

Online last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 02:06:00 PM »
I have an older 65lb non-fastflight recurve bow that, with an arrow of about 550 grains, is slightly slower than a newer fastflight bow of 56 pounds.  I think several other things contribute to the higher speed in addition to the ff string, including better materials and the designs used today, I draw the lighter bow about 1/2 inch farther, etc.  

I would recommend you shoot them side by side.  You may find that the 46 lb bow will provide the same speed to a heavy arrow.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 03:32:00 PM »
I agree with the 3-5 fps loss in speed.  Over hunting distances I doubt you will be able to tell the difference.

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
I agree, maybe 5 fps difference, not enough that you or the animal will notice.

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »
IowaBob, 3 years ago I chronographed my 54lb Fox longbow with the fastflight string Ron & Debbie furnish with the bow & a B-50 string, same brace height. I also used the same arrow for the whole test so there was no arrow difference.I got a consistant 3fps faster reading with FF than I did with the B-50. I wouldn't worry about lost performance. Shoot & enjoy. Frank  :thumbsup:
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 05:22:00 PM »
Why bother with a fastflight string in new bows if it only gives you 3-5fps faster arrows? Don't the B-50 strings give you a smoother feel or feedback or less shock? Are we just looking for that little bit of more speed that really isn't noticed???? I got away from compounds partly because I got fed up with all the speed chasing gimmicks.

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 05:39:00 PM »
Snag,
You left out that dacron strings are usually quieter.    ;)  

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©