Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Taper Tools  (Read 996 times)

Offline chuck jones1836

• Trad Bowhunter
Taper Tools
« on: May 31, 2007, 12:21:00 PM »
I have been looking for a taper tool to cut my wood arrows down.  I have looked at two at three rivers a metal tool and a plastic tool.  I suppose the metal tool is probably better made but would the plastic tool get me by.  Has anyone had any expierence with these?  I was going to use my belt sander but the disk is so much out of line it wouldnt do the job.  I tried putting it on another motor and the same thing happened.  So for now I will need to just get a tool.  Thanks...chuck
Chuck Jones
San Antonio, Texas

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Taper Tools
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »
Chuck, I have two of the metal ones and they work just fine as long as I keep the blade sharp.

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 07:16:00 PM »
Get the Tru Center metal tool.  It comes with all the guides you will ever need and when a blade wears out you can replace it cheaply.  I had one of the plastic ones and it didn't last long.  The plastic may be cheaper at first but by the time you wear out a few you could have bought the metal one.

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »
chuck:
I'm going to go the other direction. The most important part of arrow making is the nock and point taper. If they are not exactly in line with the axis of the shaft, you will have all sorts of problems. a taper that is not straight will give you crooked nocks & points. Picture the end of the arrow and four different arrows one nock points at 12 one at 3 one at 6 and one at 9:00 O'clock, each of those arrows will start from the bow in a different direction. Not good. The problem is the taper guide, in the type of tool that has been recommended its a hole. In order for the shaft to be guided properly the shaft MUST fit snuggly into that guide and there is too much variation in shaft diameters for that to happen. That's where the sanding disc comes in, either a homemade one or commercial made. The guide will be a "V" block the shaft will ride in the "V" and it will not matter what size it is or if its tapered and the taper WILL BE STRAIGHT everytime. Plus its adjustable for angle and can be fine tuned.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline chuck jones1836

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 09:22:00 AM »
Thanks for the input.  I was really thinking on cheap and getting a plastic one to get by for now.  However, I see where the metal tool would be a better investment.  I had really thought aboutusing my belt sander until I tried the disk on it and it was so much out of line.  Maybe I can create a attachment for my bader grinder...thanks...chuck
Chuck Jones
San Antonio, Texas

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©