Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: 3 Under to Split Finger  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Starkman

• Trad Bowhunter
3 Under to Split Finger
« on: June 02, 2007, 06:25:00 PM »
Fellas,
I just received a new cordovan tab the other day, and was practicing (Dwyer original longbow) and thought I'd give split finger a try.  Wow, there was considerably less noise.  I like shooting 3 under, and have been getting good arrow flight but the noise difference really got me thinking.  I believe my bow is tuned properly, and I do have cat whiskers installed.  I know there have been many threads about switching from split to 3 under, but how about anyone switching from 3 under to split?
Bob
"You're never beaten until you admit it." - General George S. Patton, Jr

Offline mxracer483

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 Under to Split Finger
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 02:43:00 AM »
I have recently been thinking of switching to split also after finding out how quiet my bow shoots using split. I have always shot 3 under and i am scared to make the switch. I dont think i can quiet my bow to make it as quiet as shooting split finger.
In the end it all comes down to the Indian not the arrows.

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 04:18:00 PM »
I shot split, went to three under when I realized that I shot better that way and then later went back to split a year or so later.  Why?  I can't say.  I just picked up my bow one day and started shooting split.  My point is that you can change.  All it takes is practice.

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline T Nichols

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 05:19:00 PM »
From 3 under to split here, will never go back, bow much smoother & quieter!!!!!!!

Offline Starkman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 06:12:00 PM »
Terry,
That's what I noticed.  I've been noticing a considerable "TWERP" sound which I don't have shooting split.  Anyone know why such a significant sound difference?  For those of you that did switch to split, did you notice a differnce in accuracy?
Bob

Offline vermontrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »
Yeah, my bow is WAY more quiet shooting split, but, when I shoot split the inside edge of my index finger at the nail feels like I ran a rasp over it and I just can't take it! So I stick with three under. I agree with John Hanson, you can switch back and forth with only a little practice to adjust everything. Anyone else have the get index finger pain shooting split?
"Only a fool lean upon his own misunderstanding" -B.Marley

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 06:50:00 PM »
My bow that I had made tillered for 3 under is as quite as any standard tiller shot split but my bows tillered split that I shoot 3 under are noisier and here again the inside of my index finger just won't take split.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermontrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 05:26:00 PM »
I am a bit ignorant to tillering. Does it mean that when drawn the upper and lower limbs are equally pulled? Then when you switch to 3 under you are pulling the limbs unevenly causing the noise?

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 05:55:00 PM »
All I can say is the bow I have on order for 3 under is supposed to be even tillered.  I am not a bowyer so I don't know anything, only what my bowyer told me.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mxracer483

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 06:26:00 PM »
I went out practicing with the split, I just cant get the hang of it. The painful index finger, the inconsistent shooting, none of it feels right. Not to mention after seeing how i shoot three under after all these years, there is no way i can make the change. Have any of you tried adding an extra set of silencers to your bowstrings? Two on top and two on bottom to see if you can get the noise down?
In the end it all comes down to the Indian not the arrows.

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 06:26:00 PM »
I shot all my bows three under and never knew how they were tillered.  The only difference was that I had to raise my nock point slightly.  I never noticed that any of the bows were noisey.  If you look at my avatar photo you will see that I pulled primarily with my index finger when shooting three under.  When I went back to split I started pulling mostly with my middle finger.  That might have had something to do with it.

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline vermontrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 09:47:00 PM »
mxracer, I have a set of silencers on the string and the bow is very quiet shooting three under, the noise only happens with none. I shoot it split with no silencers the thing seems even more quiet and smooth. I have a 2 piece takedown and a tube for it that I carry on my bike and it's easier to store the string without the silencers. Not a huge deal but the only thing keeping me from shooting split is the index finger problem, wish I could fix it.

Offline Taiga Recurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 11:31:00 PM »
I went from split to three under and my accuracy has really improved.

"Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye.
Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark!"

Offline Starkman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 12:11:00 AM »
Is there any advantage to shooting split finger for hunting purposes?  I've noticed guys like Howard Hill, Byron Ferguson, Asbell all shot or shoot split finger.  Can anyone explain the source of noise I may be experiencing?  I don't believe it is the arrow as I've been getting good flight.    
Bob

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »
Hi everyone new on this site shot 3 under for years because of pain close to finger nail
really unbearable pain started shooting spit again nothing changed same pain tried putting tape on index finger to relieve pain somewhat
worked good also working on slowly dropping off
index finger when reaching full draw works for me
Good luck Ralph!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 09:17:00 AM »
My observations as a bowyer and shooter.
1. Shorter the bow, more index finger pinch on split
2.Less fingers on the string, better release and flight
3.You can manipulate bow noise by moving the nock,adjusting grip( on straight handles) and string weight.

The A1 thing to remember here is "where is the center of your bow". Where did the bowyer put your fulghram that the limbs are braced against.

There are mulitples scenerios that one could be creating here. Your string grip, center of your bow, limb weight and grip are the big four.

What causes bow noise? The uneven collapse of the limbs. Simply one is faster than the other. String silencers help dampen the vibration.

Why does a heavy arrow shoot quiter than lighter arrow? It slows the speed of the limb collapse down more.

Oh heck I better quit, i could go on and on.

My suggestion is take a mechanical release and mark on your string an inch above your current nock and mark 1/8 " imcrements down 2 inches. Shoot 3 arrows at each mark. pick the quietest one. Remember though the middle finger does most the pulling no matter what grip, 3 under or split. So when one shoots 3 under , they basically move the string breaking crease down inch. This is why 3 under is almost always louder.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline cvarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »
rnharris,I had that side index figer pinch too in the beginning. A friend pointed out that I had my string arm elbow too high and that in turn pivoted the finger so that the strings presasure was all on the index finger. When I lowered the elbow the pivot swung the other way putting pressure more on the other two fingers.More strength there too. So as MR. Miagi says --find balance.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©