Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Longbow shooting help  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Jess

• Trad Bowhunter
Longbow shooting help
« on: June 10, 2007, 08:35:00 PM »
I just got a nice new Hickory Selfbow after shooting a recurve with a pistol grip for 2 years and I realized I don't really know how to hold a longbow. I've been getting slapped in the arm a lot which is hear is mostly cause by how you hold the bow.
Also are their any special tips I should know of for shooting a longbow/selfbow??
And for a final note is it possible to cant the bow too much, I like to cant the new bow quite a bit 45+ degrees, that just feels right but I'm curious if this causes any problems.
  Thanks for any help!
   -Jess-

Offline VinnieB

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow shooting help
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 10:17:00 PM »
jess i understand your problems i also just switched to a longbow to and i've been getting slapped in the arm alot on almost every shot. i've heard it's all about your grip and that the bow couuld be twisting in your hand. as far as fixing the problems i need the same help as you so if anybody else could help it be much appreciated.
Martin rebel recurve 45#@25"
Fred Bear Montana Longbow 50#@26"

"Hunting is the last perfect thing"
-Ted Nugent

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 11:20:00 PM »
You need to do 2 things with your grip.  You are probably pushing the heel of your hand too far into the grip or you are too much heel to the right on the grip (rh archer).  Grip the bow with a feeling that your hand is wrapped "around the bow".  Really get a hold of the grip on the side.  I mean white knuckle the thing.  You must get your hand around the side of the grip and hold it tightly.  This will inturn put some bend in your bow arm and get that string away from your arm.  You will also notice that you will get cleaner arrow flight and eliminate those left arrows if you are gripping properly.  If you can get a copy of "hitting them like Howard Hill" it can be very beneficial.  I was taught by that book and video and a great gentleman named Max Drumb the Hill style of shooting when I was 16 YOA.  Max was personally instructed by Jerry Hill.  I have tried many other ways to shoot a longbow, but the Hill method I always return to as the most accurate for hunting situations with a straight limbed bow.  One other point is to close your stance and point your left shoulder (right handed archer) at your intended target.  Get up to the target close.  Draw the bow to full draw and anchor with your eyes closed and then look at where the arrow is pointed.  Self bows and longbows are not center shot.  The arrow more than likely will be pointed to the left.  Adjust you feet and point your shoulder at the target until you can pull up with your eyes closed and the arrow is pointed at the target directly under the spot you want to hit.  Memorize this stance.  This will give you a standard to go by.  With practice you can adapt from this standard to shoot in more awkward hunting positions.  Bend your knee, front on downhill, rear on uphill, keep torso erect and cant head at the neck, right and forward (RH Archer).  Gave you some things to try.

Longbows and Short Shots,
Jeff Schulz
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Jess

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 04:02:00 PM »
Dragonheart,
 Do you have any pictures of this grip? I'm really bad at visualizing words.
So far it sounds like I need to grip the bow tightly with my whole hand.
I've always been told to grip bows loosely otherwise you'll most likely torque it. Is this wrong for longbows?
 Thanks,
  -Jess-

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 06:47:00 PM »
If you look in this forum under the thread "how I grip a bow" there is a link to Hill style of gripping a longbow with pictures.  It may be helpful.
Jeff
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 01:13:00 AM »
I agree with dragonheart that you do need to rotate your bow hand a little to get the heel of your hand left of center on the grip.  However, I don't feel that you need to grip the bow very tightly.  Firmly, yes, but not a death grip.  The latter certainly can lead to torquing the bow. It also tightens up the muscles in your entire bow arm and can cause you to pull the bow off target.  Finally, it will also cause you to feel a lot more of the bow's hand shock.  Keep in mind, too, that self-bows are generally braced fairly low.  It's not unusual for the string to slap the wrist as the string completes its forward movement after the arrow leaves the bow with a bow braced at 6 inches.  That's why we wear arm guards.  Increasing the brace height to 6 3/4 inches will usually eliminate wrist slap on most longbows.  Good luck.

Offline Matt E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 08:04:00 AM »
You might want to place you right foot a bit forward, slightly out of line of your target.This will move the string away from your left arm and should eliminate your problem.This is for a right handed shooter.

Offline Jess

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 03:40:00 PM »
Thanks guys! You've been a real big help. The HH grip has certainly helped with hand shock.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 05:27:00 PM »
Howard Hill wore an arm guard.Don`t change your grip because of hitting your arm. Grip the bow comfortable and the same every time.RC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©