Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Comes the dawn  (Read 909 times)

Offline slow walker

• Trad Bowhunter
Comes the dawn
« on: June 19, 2007, 01:34:00 PM »
Just thought I'd share this experience.  I've been shooting trad gear now for 3 years; after being away from bowhunting for several years during which I shot compound and trad intermixed.  Since returning to bowhunting (and buying a custom recurve and longbow, my shooting has been spotty, sometimes not bad but mostly wallowing in mediocrity.  I've struggled, trying different anchors, different form, etc. etc.  After the TX sweat 06, I set the bows in the corner for about 6 months.  I guess I was a little discouraged after seeing how good all the other guys were during our target practice sessions.  But as always, the itch came back.  About a month ago, I was watching some archery video clips on youtube...mostly compound target shooters but some trad. as well.  I was struck by the slow motion videos at the moment of release.  NOTHING MOVED....not the bow, not the drawing hand/fingers, not the head, nothing.  In the past month, I've settled on one anchor (second finger, corner of mouth...and a secondary anchor, thumb joint behind jaw bone)  I figure one stabilizes the other and if they're both in the right spot, then there's consistency in the hand and arm as well.  I've also gone to "completely instinctive" by that I mean no "conscious" attempt to aim.  Finally, I've incorporated Tarz's great explanation of proper shoulder alignment.  That's it.  Now, when I go out in the backyard and shoot 30 arrows from distances between 10 feet and a little over 20 yards, it's rare that an arrow is more than an inch or two from my spot.  I shoot an arrow, walk 3-5 steps, closer, farther away or off at an angle, and shoot another one and repeat.
It's a little scary and almost magical how dang accurate I'm getting to be...I'm almost afraid to think about it too much for fear the "gift" will leave me.  Don't mean to brag, just thought this experience might be helpful to others.  Best Wishes.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Comes the dawn
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 04:34:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 01:33:00 PM »
Grats bud I hope to find that nitch soon enough!

Offline slow walker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 12:06:00 AM »
Thanks Deadbolt...it's been a struggle.  The guys on this forum and the "spirit" they exemplify helped.  Best Wishes man.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 08:22:00 AM »
Very good news Con... it ain't rocket science! (well, in a way it is.   ;)  )
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©