Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: arrows  (Read 989 times)

Offline oil

• Trad Bowhunter
arrows
« on: June 19, 2007, 09:26:00 PM »
the recurve bow i' have is 45# at 28" my draw lenght is 27 should i' use 40-45 45-50?? this  will my first time shooting a recurve bow. hopeful i'can shot better buy sept 26.. going to use wood arrows.thanks WORM   :scared:    :bigsmyl:

Offline Chris O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: arrows
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 12:11:00 AM »
Is the riser cut to center?

Offline oil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »
what do you mean by cut to center??? the bow is a black hawk scorpion...thanks WORM

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 06:54:00 AM »
Since your bow was likely made in the early sixties, I would guess that it is not cut to center. "Cut to center" is referring to the distance between the centerline of the bow and the strike plate on the side of the sight window. The closer the plate is to center, or even less than center, the stiffer the arrow that the bow will shoot well, the "archers paradox" being not so severe.

Another thing that would influence spine would be the actual physical (mass) weight of your arrows. Laminated arrows, and those made of hardwoods like ash are heavier than those made of spruce or cedar. This slows the arrow down, and necessitates a lower spined arrow to compensate.

My choice regardless of the weight, however, would be the 40-45# spined arrows. I am going by the type of bow and your draw length for this conclusion. The aluminum arrow that I would use is a 1916 with a 125 grain head, or a 2013 with a 140+ grain head.

Hope this helps,
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline cvarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 10:29:00 PM »
Killdeer nailed it! 40-45 with a one inch cut off to 27" will add 5lbs putting it right to your bow weight. However you could even go another 5lbs up since it is a recurve with faster limbs and especially with hunting heads on.

Offline Starkman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 05:22:00 PM »
Interestingly, I just made my first batch of woodies for my longbow which is 45#@28" and my draw length is a tad over 27".  I talked to Neil at Hildebrand and he recommended arrows spined at 50-55 lbs.  He was right on, I get excellent flight and really impressed with these shafts.  He recommended adding 5 lbs for fast flight string, 5 lbs for reflex/deflex, for a total of 10 lbs to my draw weight.  Total arrow length is 29".

Bob
"You're never beaten until you admit it." - General George S. Patton, Jr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©