Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Starting over-instinctive shooting question  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
Starting over-instinctive shooting question
« on: June 21, 2007, 03:31:00 PM »
About a month ago, I got a new bow.. my first longbow..

I dropped some weight from my recurve (since I had injured my shoulder) and promised myself, I'd start focussing on form. I've been blind bailing 2-3 times a week in the garage.. Focussing on one aspect at a time till I feel I got that down to muscle memory and automatic... Till my release felt fluid, my *T* form was solid, now I've been backing off to 5-10 yds and I am pretty pleased...

BUt am not sure If I should work on one distance and get it burned in or keep at it at different distances to let my subconcious learn the trajectories... You know should it be 5.10.15.20.25 yds or should I stay away from known yardage and just shoot randomly from various yardages?

Before I used the arrow to gap/ point of aim shoot- or something to that effect... Now I am trying to just shoot instictively...

I am trying to stick with it as I felt numerous opportunities were blown before from yardage guessing, and all that thinking, deciding, and then adjusting since the deer don't usually offer me the shot when or where I expect them too... I figger to try to go totally instictive to allow for more opportunities....
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline rbbhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Starting over-instinctive shooting question
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 04:28:00 PM »
Get Fred Asbell's books, they will help.  One important thing that Fred pounds on is to focus on the smallest spot you can.
RBBHUNT
"Those who will trade liberty for
security, deserve niether" B. Franklin (a long time ago and still valid)

Offline vermontrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 08:03:00 PM »
I think the question is, do you want to be a target shooter or a bow hunter? If targets are the goal then practice at set distances till you have them nailed. If hunting is the priority then go stump shooting and pick targets at various distances, it will be real world practice for hunting with awkward stances and will help you learn just what that arrow will squeeze through in the woods. And as rbbhnt said, focus on the smallest spot you can. And most importantly have fun and shoot lots of arrows...
"Only a fool lean upon his own misunderstanding" -B.Marley

Offline LCB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »
I think your on the right track, and vermontrad's input is excellent. Personally I like to practice on targets that I have no knowledge of the distance. The archery range is nice, and it has its purposes, but I think to become a better hunter, it's best to practice at undisclosed yardages. Stump shooting in the woods is an excellent source of this type of training. Depth perception can be affected by all sorts of things in the woods. I also like 3d courses. They are usually in the woods and the yeardage is unknown. Also it helps with picking a spot on animal.

I use very bright fletching, wraps and nocks on all my arrows. I follow the trajectory of the arrow once released. This IMO is a must for instictive archers. Good luck, and don't be afraid to let them fly!
Success is measured not by inches of antler growth, but in the heart, soul, and mind!

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 05:39:00 PM »
KEWL!!! I appreciate the experiences, as I am wanting to get away from the concious decesions and let the hatrack computer go on auto pilot and just let it all come together..

Just wasn't sure and figured I'd better pause before proceeding down the wrong path...
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 08:55:00 AM »
Slasher, without concious thought of "how far", just get a very small spot to focus on. Practice
good form, concentrate, draw, anchor, release, and follow through. Repeat at close range until they are all landing where you want, then begin moving back. When the group starts to spread, step closer, and do it all again. As the distance increases, it becomes more difficult to focus on a TINY spot simply because it becomes more difficult to see. This is one of the challenges to true instinctive shooting.

If you can train yourself to focus on a speck, with practice you can hit it.

The only problem I encountered was that when shooting from a tree stand, the target looked farther away than it really was. I shot high often. I really had to work on that.

Good luck.

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 11:50:00 PM »
One of the best ways to learn to aim instinctively is by shooting in the dark at a candle with a light switch near you.

Learning to aim instinctively is basically teaching the subconscious to effectively utilize proprioception and muscle memory while putting complete concentration and focus on the bullseye.

The candle in the dark helps concentrate the archer's focus on one spot.

The light switch is used to give feedback to the conscious mind to let the subconscious make the proper adjustments.

The only way an instinctive archer will get any good is by having their form consistant and allowing the subconscious to learn what it needs to do through repetition.

Ray  ;)

Offline vermontrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 10:20:00 PM »
Ray, wouldn't gap shooting teach the subconsious the same thing? With many things in life we must consiously practice until the subconsiuos can take control, which in my experience is WAY more capable than our consious self. The real challenge is letting our subconsious do what we've trained it to do.
"Only a fool lean upon his own misunderstanding" -B.Marley

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 12:07:00 AM »
Absolutely...but we are not all wired the same.

Some people rather learn Instinctive Aiming from the beginning rather than learn Gap Aiming which can evolve into Instinctive Aiming if the archer desires to do just that.

Some people like the simplicity of aiming Instinctively from the get go while others enjoy the quicker learning curve with Gap Aiming in regards to achieving consistant accuracy.

I personally prefer to teach Gap Aiming first because the archer will experience consistant repeatable accuracy sooner rather than latter in most cases...which as I stated can eventually become Instinctive if they still desire to do so.

It's just one more training tool an archer can use.

Ray  ;)

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »
Slasher, I'd start very close & not worry about marked yardages. Starting very close will build confidence. Asbells books are excellent & Byron Ferguson has a couple out that are good too.Don't pick a bow that is too heavy for you & you will progress quickly. Have a great time & welcome! Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 07:34:00 PM »
Well, if I can throw in my 2 cents worth...  There are those who say that shooting a bow without sights is just like throwing a football to a receiver downfield.  Now it isn't.  It's easier.  Provided you draw the same number of inches each time and use the same weight arrow in the same bow anyway.  Once everything about your bow/arrow setup is established and your form is such that you can repeat it time after time the rest is a matter of your brain learning trajectory at varying distances.  

I don't practice at "yards".  I sometimes start close to the target and after shooting one or two shots I take two or three steps back before I shoot again.  Sometimes I do the reverse, starting long and moving closer.  With each shot I focus as intently as I can on where I want the arrow hit and allow my mind to absorb where the arrow actually hits.  The worst thing I can do is doubt where the arrow is going to hit.  If I think I'm going to miss you can bet that's what I'll do.

Go have fun.  Be sure your form is good and your tackle is tuned.  Your mind will take care of the rest.

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©