Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Holding Time  (Read 3772 times)

Offline notdodger

• Trad Bowhunter
Holding Time
« on: June 22, 2007, 10:38:00 PM »
Wondering how long you guys hold at full draw??
I can shoot either way, but if I hold about 3 to 4 seconds I shoot 100% better! Most of the trad guys I have shot with start to  critize me about half way through the 3-d. But I can make fast shots on moving targets. Most of the guys I have shot with snap shoot. To each their own. I am not putting them down. I can shoot that way if I want. I just choose to hold. I was wanting to know from you fella's, even the top shooters, their holding time. Am I the only guy that holds a little longer?????

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Holding Time
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 07:58:00 AM »
" if I hold about 3 to 4 seconds I shoot 100% better!"     :thumbsup:
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life.  (1 John 5:12)

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 02:55:00 PM »
I hold the same as you.  Snap shooting for me isn't very reliable.   Might not get the correct anchor point cosistantly.  I can pull off good shots that way sometimes but holding is more reliable.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline Bill M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 04:24:00 PM »
I hold as long as i have to to be fully focased on my target be it 1 second or 10 do what you have to and make the shot count. Thats my opinion

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 04:29:00 PM »
I would say I average 5-6 seconds.

Offline Dryfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »
I used to snap shoot but was very  inconsistant. I am having good success drawing and quickly going thru a checklist: shoulders properly aligned?, good back tension?, good sight picture?, remember to not pluck!, and finally - bear down on the center molecule of the POA and think of nothing else. Takes about 4 - 5 seconds. This time also allows me to abort mission - if something aint't right, I stop and start over rather than take a bad shot. Important for target punching - even more so for ethically correct hunting. Holding time will likely decrease as I season as an archer.
If in doubt ask "What would Willie do?"

Offline notdodger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 08:50:00 PM »
Thanks fella's

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 07:52:00 PM »
I don't hold at all, unless the animal moves just as I'm reaching anchor, but I use a double anchor and always get to full draw.  It works for me, but certainly not for everyone.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 09:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
I don't hold at all, unless the animal moves just as I'm reaching anchor, but I use a double anchor and always get to full draw.  It works for me, but certainly not for everyone.
Can you tell us a little more about your double anchor Terry?

I began shooting by releasing as I touched my anchor. Like some others I have found that I am more consistent if I hit my anchor and pause briefly before my release. I would say I generally pause for 1-2 seconds.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »
I believe that snap shooting is just another name for target panic...or at least, something that is leading to TP.  If you hold 3-5 seconds...and even 10, I say good for you and keep doing it.
Lon Scott

Offline WoodbowEddie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 10:44:00 PM »
I prefer holding a few seconds, I focus better because I wear glasses when I shoot.
This works for me, but not for everybody.
Do what it takes to do the job correctly.
Whatever works best for you, do it.....

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 12:04:00 AM »
There are some mighty fine archers who can shoot consistantly accurate who don't hold at full draw...and Terry is one of them.

Snap Shooting has developed a few different meanings.

Some are:

Releasing the arrow without pausing to aim.

Releasing before the archer has reached their anchor point.

Releasing due to Target Panic.

Releasing the arrow without pausing to aim is not usually a problem unless the archer hasn't learned to aim properly. For most instinctive archers they are basically aiming as they draw their bow and reach anchor. The aiming process has already been achieved and there generally is no reason to pause and adjust the aim when they have reached their anchor.

Now the other 2 have more severe consequences that need to addressed and fixed.

I personally aim Instinctive Gap, which is typically known as Split Vision or just Gap and hold for 3 to 4 sec.

Ray  ;)

Offline Matt E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 07:50:00 AM »
I like the way Terry shoots.The shot is made before the bow is drawn.If you hold at full draw it makes it difficult to shoot a bow 55# or more. Target shooters hold but their bows are 45# or less. Nothng wrong with either way ,you choose what works for you.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 09:46:00 AM »
Personally, I find that the longer I hold the more inaccurate I am (usually). However, I am aiming through the entire shot process. I may pause at anchor, but that is about it.

I don't know why this is. But I think it is due to different forces being applied as I hold for long periods (over about a second). When I release while I am still in the process of pulling back, I believe the forces are acting properly to give the arrow proper flight. If I stop to hold long, it takes away from the fluidness of the shot. And I believe other forces and muscles are coming into play which can effect the arrow flight.

Offline Matt E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 04:36:00 PM »
Bobco, I have to agree with you. Once you stop for over a split second you cancel out all your previous preparation. The fluidness you mentioned is not there anymore. This requires you to shoot a lower weight(draw) bow so you can realign and not be all over the place.It takes time at the batts to perfect a style and the style we have chose is harder to perfect. The rewards a field are worth the effort as it pays off when that, once in a life time, opportunity comes along.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2007, 05:50:00 PM »
Sure,

I drag my thumb base knuckle along side my face, and as my middle finger comes to the corner of my mouth I keep coming, and my thumb base knuckle slides in behind my jaw under my ear.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2007, 06:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by BLACK WOLF:

Snap Shooting has developed a few different meanings.

Some are:

Releasing the arrow without pausing to aim.

Releasing before the archer has reached their anchor point.

Releasing due to Target Panic.

Ray    ;)  
Correct Ray.....and the old timers that coined the phrase 'snap shooting' or 'snap shooter' that I personaly know/knew, was just phrase to describe a style of shooting.....someone who shot fast without holding, or never stopped pulling.  Hll and Pearson were both great shooters, and refered to in those days as snap shooters....seems Fred Bear called himself a snap shooter as well.

As of late, others have miss used that phrase and have put a negative spin on it, mostly by those that don't understand what snap shooting is as deemed by our forefathers......and refering to snap shooting as out of control shooting and leading to target panic.  

Target panic is a mental issue, and causes uncontrolable releases....short drawing is also a mental issue, as the one shooting knows they are supose to come to anchor.  

Snap shooting is a style of 'releasing' or shooting, ...target panic, or out of control shooting is a condition.

If snap shooting leads to target panic, I'm a prime candadate, but I've yet to experience it.

I've also seen many that hold panic at release and have no idea where there arrow is going.  ....once again, not a problem with 'holding'.... its a mental issue, one of sudden fear.

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »
I also agree Terry  ;)

I personally don't believe that Snap Shooting leads to Target Panic.

The issue that will generally lead to target panic is basically a fear of missing.

Confidence or an empty mind helps keep TP from entering the picture.

Anything an archer can do to increase their confidence or strengthen their concentration is going to be beneficial.

The shorter an archer holds at full draw the less time doubt or fear has to enter into the thought process, which can decrease the potential for an archer to develope TP.

Snap Shooting does have some advantages...but in some cases an archer is not doing anything to build any confidence in their skill if they are missing their targets more often than not by Snap Shooting.

The goal for most archers should be to develop their form to the point it is executed comfortably, instinctively, consistantly and accurately...by whatever means possible.

It is neither more traditional or any less traditional to hold at full draw or not.

Find what works for you.

Ray  ;)

Offline JoeK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2007, 07:52:00 PM »
I'm curious.  Do "snap" (fast shooters)start off learning and practicing that way, or does the speed come with experience? Answers to this question may help many out there.
"It was a shot to delight the gods...I yelled like a savage--I couldn't help ; it stirred me to the core."    Maurice Thompson

Offline notdodger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2007, 08:06:00 PM »
I was just thinking that too, JoeK.
Howard Hill and Fred Bear I have read alot about.
If I only had half of there talent (instinct) I would be doing awesome. Never know what another  years of practice will do. hehe. I think the more anchors the better. Thanks again.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©