Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Gap shooting tips?  (Read 1023 times)

Offline J.Nordwell

• Trad Bowhunter
Gap shooting tips?
« on: June 24, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »
Well well I'm a newer traditional shooter. I used to shoot compound with all the bells and whistles. When I frist started I tried the instinctive thing and could shoot ok to about 20 yards. But it was hit and miss. So after a bunch of frustration I figured I would try to shoot gap I think. I'm shooting like Howard Hill explains in the book "Hunting the Hardway". So is there a couple of tips for this style?? Thanks
My set up is a BW PMA 57 lbs shooting a 2216 the is 560 gr. About a 12" low @20 yds 6" low @30 and right on @40 yds. Thanks for the help.  :archer:
FEAR NOTHING

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gap shooting tips?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 11:41:00 PM »
I would highly recommend that you buy 'Masters Of The Barebow' video.

I never learned my gaps to the point of knowing exactly how many inches below or above the target I needed to be.

I mainly use my arrow to make sure my left and right are dead on and than feel my gap by being consciously aware of what the total sight picture needs to look like.

Rod Jenkins, who is one of the masters in the video has a system to determine his exact gap by inches for different distances.

Rod discusses finding your point on distance, which you stated was 40yrds. and than shoot at 20yrds. with the point of your arrow on the target and measure exactly how high you shot. The gaps are than determined for the specific yardage between 0 and 40yrds.

What some archers don't realize is that learning to aim using the gap method helps an archer become more accurate quicker especially at longer distances and can eventually become very instinctive like to the point an archer may learn to use those gaps to become totally instinctive.

I personally think it is the best all around aiming method an archer can learn for both competition and hunting.

Ray  ;)

Offline RySanpei

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 03:06:00 PM »
Ray,
I've been really trying to figure out how my personal aiming system works.  I've watched many videos and read many books, I think that you best describe how I aim.  I feel like I have an "instictive gap" if that makes sense. Like you mention I use the arrow for left and right, but I have a hard time setting a specific gap as Rod describes.  When the gap or sight picture "feels" right I release.    
Do you have any suggestions on what I can do to improve or understand my aiming method better?
Thanks! Ryan

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 07:15:00 PM »
Ryan,

Yep...you sound like you aim like I do.

When I was a kid I started out by first placing marks on my little red Bear riser...than I tried Point of Aim for a little while...and I than paid more attention to my gap.

When you are learning your gap or your sight picture it is good to have a bow you can comforatbly hold at full draw while you visually reference your sight picture.

I also use my sight window for a visual reference as a frame around the target.

My bow is canted at about 1:30 most of the time but I can shoot upside down, on my back or bending over backwards with about the same accuracy at 25yrds. or less.

It just takes time to engrain the different sight pictures for different yardages...but you must be consciously aware of what they are if you want to aim properly, consistantly and accurately while you are aiming with the Gap method.

Ray  ;)

Offline Big Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »
J.Nordwell, I used to shoot gap and the inches under that you use, does not always look the same to everybody, to me 20 yds. looked like 24 in. my 30 yds, looked like 16 in. and on at 35yds. So what the picture looks like is a personal thing. My 2 cents  :D    ;)    :D
Live today like you'll meet God tommorow (you might)

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 10:12:00 AM »
I would highly recommend Instinctive Archery Insights by Jay Kidwell.
Longbows & Short Shots

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©