Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Panic-shooter  (Read 2124 times)

Offline Flints

• Trad Bowhunter
Panic-shooter
« on: June 26, 2007, 07:37:00 PM »
:knothead:   )
 At any rate, thanks for letting me ramble.
If a man that is not perfect be ever in practice, he shall as well
practice his errors as his abilities and induce one habit of both; and there is no means to help this but by intermission - Francis bacon

Offline Yellowsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Panic-shooter
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 07:52:00 PM »
I know where you're coming from, Flints.  I had T.P. awhile back.  It took me 3 months of hard work to overcome it.  It sounds like you are doing some of the same stuff I did to beat it.  If you haven't tried it you might want to look into blind bale shooting.  I read about it in Ferguson's book "Become the Arrow".  Good Luck.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 08:27:00 PM »
If you are thinking about not getting to anchor while you are shooting you are not thinking about shooting. Granted, target panic is in your head so you must relax and feel in control.

The following "stuff" worked for me. Maybe it will help some.  :rolleyes:

1- Use a bow weight you can shoot a long time without getting the shakes.
2- Bright color feathers will help you remember flight trajectory.
3- Get out into the woods or a field to shoot. Can't worry about neighbors watching or hitting the garage door with an arrow.
4- S-L-O-W your draw down alot and imagine your arrow flyin' into the target before you anchor.
5- When you reach anchor imagine your arrow again hitting where you want.
6- It should all come together after that. You will get faster at the draw in time.

I'll bet a buck someone will take issue with my statements. Just my 2 cents worth.

Good Luck!
... mike ...  :wavey:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Flints

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 08:27:00 PM »
Hi Yellowsnake,
  I tried blind bale shooting which definitely help my form but I still had major trouble practicing drawing and letting down.  That strong urge to let 'er go had me in it's death grip. It wasn't till I drew on things that would destroy an arrow that I started to control when I released the shot.
  I read Ferguson's book awhile ago. Now that I've been shooting longer, I'll go back for a reread. I'll probably get more from it.
Thanks for the shout back.
practice his errors as his abilities and induce one habit of both; and there is no means to help this but by intermission - Francis bacon

Offline Flints

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 08:52:00 PM »
Thanks Mike,

Good advice. I have found that slowing down my shot has helped tremendously as well as shot visualization. I tried shooting at longer distances, which for me is 25-30 yards so I could
see the arrow trajectory better. Still having trouble making the trajectory work for me. However, at 30 yds, I have to be so slow and deliberate with my shot so as not to miss my not so big target butt that my t.p. is gone. I am 100% in control but it seems that the closer I get to the target, the faster I "have to let go of that string" which translates into less control and poor shots.
The human mind is a funny thing. At least mine is!!     :banghead:

Offline keith brimmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 07:41:00 AM »
FLINT see post below tp 100% cure by jd he has some drills that really work but you have to keep on em.good luck

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 09:19:00 AM »
Best of luck......never had TP.....so I'm of no help on how to fix it.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 11:13:00 AM »
PM Jay Kidwell, he has helped me immensely, he is a great help, a great person and will answer you asap with help.
Jay is a credit to us trad shooters.

Hell, I'm thinking of naming my new bow J-KID   :bigsmyl:    :archer:

Offline Flints

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 04:39:00 PM »
Thanks for all the input.

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »
I have THE cure for TP.  She is a 19 month old German Shepherd who has been going out to shoot with me since she was about 2 months old.  The high point of her day starts when she sees me take the bow down from the rack and string it.  When she was small she decided that her job was to test my concentration by barking as I came to full draw.  Then she would chase the arrow downrange and sniff it when it was in the target.  Now she is fast enough to bark and be downrange before I ever loose the arrow and this can get exciting.  Imagine being at full draw with a eyeball lock on where you want the arrow to hit and suddenly there is a grinning doggie face in your line of sight.  This, I promise you, will cure any tendency to snap-shoot.

I'm planning to rent Katie (the dog) out to those who need help with their concentration.  She is a sure-fire cure.  Feel free to contact me if you need her assistance.

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 03:19:00 PM »
WOW! I have the same exact problem your going through I know what you mean by knowing what you have to do but you just cant do it. Im going to keep an eye on this thread and try some of this stuff I hope to be ready before October.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Flints

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »
I started concentrating on drawing, getting anchored, making sure all reference points line up, (yup, I do aim) and then letting down. I do this at various distances from the target before I even attempt a shot. It warms up my drawing muscles and my mental "muscles". It's almost funny that I have to mentally yell at myself "do not release the damn string, stupid!" After doing this several times, I can get off a few controlled shots before I start rushing things again. I then repeat the draw and let down process. My shots have been much more controlled and accurate. I'll continue to work things out this way. It's very satisfying  to be able to take my time and release when it feels right. It's a damn good thing I am having so much fun or I wouldn't be able to keep at it. Someone said that it's simple but not easy. For sure!!

Offline RAM739

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 12:31:00 AM »
I HAVE FOUND THAT WHEN I START TO RUSH MY SHOT I HAVE TO BLURR OUT THE TARGET.AS I START TO DRAW BACK I WILL CONCENTRATE ON THE SPOT I WANT TO HIT.THEN I TRY TO BLURR OUT THE TARGET UNTIL I AM FULL DRAW.THEN I PICK OUT THE TARGET AND RELEASE.
YOU CAN ALSO TRY TO SHOOT FORM WITHOUT PICKING A SPOT. HPOE THIS HELPS

Offline jdupre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 10:27:00 AM »
Flints, I can really empathize with the "I think you need counselling." response. I have heard that more than once. I also had TP for 15 or so years and have reduced it by using all of the suggestions given here.

But, have a theory that I've been running around in my head that might help someone. In the past, I did a lot of .22 pistol shooting. As most people know, to shoot a firearm accurately, you should breath in deeply and then exhale about half of that breath, relax and touch off the shot. Well, if you try to relax at full draw to aim, guess what happens - the shot goes off. Just a little food for thought.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 10:10:00 AM »
Read Jay Kidwell's book.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Flints

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2007, 05:10:00 PM »
KSdan,
  I have the Kidwell book; read it years ago.Looks like I'll reread. Didn't have tp when I first read the book.

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2007, 08:31:00 AM »
Watch your point of the arrow until at full draw...then look at the target and pick a spot.
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2007, 12:02:00 PM »
Flints,

My TP experience pretty much mirrors yours. It started off slowly, just a little "tick" in my shot sequence, then manifested into a full blown train wreck. I could anchor, aim and hold on anything I had no intentions of shooting (like a brick), but as soon as I knew I tried aiming at something I wnated to shoot, the whole thing went in the pot again.

I can't begin to remember how many different ways I tried curing it. Blind bale, draw-aim-let down drills, whatever...I think I tried just about everything out there. Nothing worked for me. Reluctantly, I started shooting with a click a couple years ago.

After a few months of learning how to use it properly, the difference was night and day. I'm more in control of my shot now than ever before. Honestly, if nothing else works, a clicker is the best thirteen dollars you'll probably ever spend.

Offline Flints

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2007, 12:49:00 PM »
I have tried a lot of everyone's suggestions since I started the thread in June. They all seemed to help me put my shot together. Thanks!!
I guess I use what I found out is called a swing draw and I was pre-aiming while slowly drawing and just let 'er go as I touched my face - not a solid anchor, just a touch and go. Today, I decided to try coming to full draw quickly and holding while solidifying my anchor and getting my reference points in focus. Takes more strength to hold so I didn't shoot as much but my t.p. is so much more controlled this way and my shots are much more consistent and accurate.My windage fliers just about disappeared. Well, I have to go now and replace two broken nocks!! It was a great shooting session.     :archer:

Offline Flints

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2007, 05:02:00 PM »
I wish to thank Dr Jay Kidwell in public. He realized I had the earlier version of his book that did not deal with t.p. and e-mailed me the excerpt from it. Flints

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©