Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: shooting shorter bows?  (Read 1485 times)

Offline kirkwhitehead

• Trad Bowhunter
shooting shorter bows?
« on: June 28, 2007, 06:09:00 PM »
the shortest thing I have shot was a 62" longbow. I am thing about a 52" recurve.
does anybody regularly shoot short bows like this and if so what are the common issues with them.
is 52" better from a recurve or 58" from a  longbow?
ground blind hunting is the reason I am going shorter but I am not sure if 52" is too short. any thoughts?
kirk
kirk

Offline Alsea

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: shooting shorter bows?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 06:52:00 PM »
How long is your draw length? 52" is pretty squeaky for string pinch unless you're only drawing 24 - 26 inches, not to mention limb performance.

60" is a nice length, not quite as forgiving as a longer bow, but works quite well in tight quarters. I'm 5'8" and pull 27 3/4". I can comfortably shoot from one knee with a 60" bow without canting, I just need to stay on top of my form. I used to hunt with a 64" bow. I doubt I'll go back.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 10:56:00 PM »
Alsea is right about the 60" being a nice length.I am 6'0" and can shoot the 60" on one knee in a popup blind and I draw 29 1/2".I also have a 54" Jefferys td that I shoot sometimes and don't have finger pinch problems even at the long draw length. So it all depends on the bow.  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline kirkwhitehead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 12:17:00 AM »
it is a cascade bow i am looking at. I draw 27ish.
i have always shot 64 or 66" longbows but for some reason I want to go shorter. maybe I should just limit myself to 58" or above. nice thuderstick mag in the class. right now.
hmmmmm

kirk
kirk

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 02:50:00 AM »
I draw 26 1/2 and shoot a Morrison Cheyenne at 54". Morrison makes a great short recurve and you can get them in different lengths from 52" on up. Check out his site and talk to him if you're interested. I have no string pinch issues; wouldn't expect to at my draw with this bow.
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 12:56:00 PM »
I have a draw of 29.5 to 30 and I shoot a 54 inch Shrew Classic Hunter.  It is a smooth as they come and zero finger pinch.  Ron LaClair and Gregg Coffee have taken the old short bow myth and sent it packing!

John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline keith brimmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »
I shoot a bear super mag 48" alot of people tell me they are hard to shoot,i do just fine with tuned arrows.that being said i have a schafer silver tip on order 58"

Offline Alsea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 01:32:00 PM »
If you shoot 3under that pretty much takes finger pinch out of the equation.

Offline Richard in OK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 09:46:00 PM »
Look in the archives for a similar thread that includes a design for a tab that allows you to shoot with two fingers under.
richard

Offline kirkwhitehead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 11:50:00 PM »
well just bought a Hawg Bow 50" . the razorback 48#@28" I'll pick it up tomorrow.
let y'all know how it does.
kirk
kirk

Offline kirkwhitehead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 05:52:00 PM »
it is 58" not 50".
have 3 woodies that will fly from it and I must say I like it so far.

kirk
kirk

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 11:08:00 AM »
I love short bows, And long ones  LOL
 In the past while I have reviewed several shorties, Rodney Wrights stalker at 46" , Bert Ferlinks Hornet 52", Jack kempf's Little grizzly at 50" and the most recently Brent Rudolph/Mark Bakers 50" Sheepeater Spirit .
 These bows all have shot very well for us and if you are looking to hunt from blinds you will be delighted at how much easier they are to shoot. No need to re position yourself to make shots, no issues with limb clearence on the ground or the walls.
 In short they are the best thing since sliced bread for tight quarters.

These are specialty bows built for special situations, like shooting in thick cover, blinds and tall grass.

Tune up arrows to match the bow and you will have no problems with acuracy.  This does not make them a top 3D bow where you are looking for the X ring every time, { Do they make a bow that does this?}, but if you are happy with consistant 8 rings then you will be happy hunting with a shortie.
 Every bow has it's place and the Short bow has a place in my hunting plans.

If you hunt with 2 people in a blind bow length is even more of an issue, as now you also need to make sure you don't slap the other guy with a limb, or hit the extra gear on the ground at your feet.

Even walking thru thick terrain is easier with a short bow. It tangles less, and allows you to move with less fuss geting the snags out of the string/limb.

I still love my 60 to 66" bows but have a real fondness for a short bow.

The reviews I mentioned are on my Trad Reviews at  www.peteward.com  

If any of you attend the ATBA jamboree in Red Deer next month I will have some with me  to test shoot.
Just ask.
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 02:15:00 PM »
I shoot a 60" Massie "Longhorn", 55#@27". Finger pinch is not an issue with this bow. It works great in a pop up blind. I also shoot 62" and 64" "Longhorns". The 60" compares quite favorably with the longer models. By the way, my drawlength is between 27.5" and 28".

Offline User Name

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »
I just bought a 60 inch 55# Thunderstick Moab from TG classifieds.  I have been shooting a 64 inch 59# and have improved with it, and wanted to try a shorter bow for hunting.

Right off the bat I am having trouble with the Thunderstick.  I thought I had a bow with little handshock, but I cannot believe the smoothness of this T-stick.  I shoot one bow after the other, and the difference is noticeable.  Trouble is, even with the smoothness I'm not as consistent with this shorter bow.

These are both nice quality bows, so maybe strings are making the difference in vibration also.

Recently I switched from split finger to three under.  I suspect that with my longer bows (one 68", one 64")the difference is lmore forgivable.  This 60" T-stick bow must be tillered for split finger (that's what the previous owner shoots) and it would make sense that a shorter bow is more sensitive to the difference (?).

Any advice?

BTW Thanks to 4-fletch for an excellent friendly professional transaction, and to Terry and the mods for keeping watch over the classifieds.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 09:33:00 AM »
Just yesterday I dug out my old 1963 Kodiak Magnum (52" recurve), as I haven't shot it in years.. I got along surprisingly well with my 29 1/2" draw, but it sure broadcast any errors in form. Thinking a guy should shoot it a few times a week just for that purpose.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 04:10:00 PM »
Falcon70 has a 54", 54@28" Bob Lee "Dark Archer" for sale under Traditional bows here on TradGang. I shot this bow yesterday after church. You can see my comments in the Traditional classifieds.  It was quiet, fast and had no finger pinch or stacking at my 28 inch draw. It is the shortest bow I have shot and I must say I was surprised at how well it performed.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©