Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Form video - be kind  (Read 2345 times)

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
Form video - be kind
« on: June 30, 2007, 07:56:00 PM »
First time I've taken a video of my shooting. I see a couple of things that need work. Critique welcome but be kind, I cry easily.

Offline oldgriz

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Form video - be kind
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 08:51:00 PM »
Your shoulders look nice and square like they are supposed to, but it appears that you are not coming to the same anchor point each time.. it also looks like you are plucking your release instead of just letting the string slide off your fingers...
After the release you hand should just slide across your cheek to the back of your head... it appears that you are just plucking your fingers open and then coming back..
If you slow down your shot at the moment of coming to your anchor point and allow your back muscles to continue to pull and you push and let your fingers slide off the string, you should get better consistency...
Tom Mullane
Bear Grayling Mag TD 60" 50#
Bear Grayling Mag TD 64" 37#
Wing Chaparell 60" 48#
Tom Cole Old Timer LB 68# 54#

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 09:46:00 PM »
Tom,

Thanks for the advice. The elusive smooth release is the weak link in my shooting. I have a tendency to try to open my hand as opposed to just letting the sting slip off the fingers.

Also, my quick release contributes to a bit of an inconsistent anchor as you suggest. Ironically, my accuracy is pretty consistent (3-4" groups) out to 17 or 18 yds. I think if I address these two issues I would be a solid 20 yd+ shooter.

Thanks again.

Bob

Offline cvarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »
Hmmm, Im not as concerned about your release or even the anchor which is moving back as you release as much as your stance and the way you draw. You have the bow almost lined up and then you draw way up there.That breaks up the natural rhythm.You should be standing with your bow shoulder facing the target feet pointing perpendicular to the target.If target changes your feet should alos compensate; not turning with your waist which will change your draw length. And I think you amay need more cant in the bow although I dont know how far you were shooting but if its in the yard 15-20 yds -not enough cant! After that find a solid anchor to settle on. Are you screwin around with those screw tips!! Try wood arrows and glue on points!!!!he he

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 06:49:00 AM »
Thanks, CV. I am not positive but it sounds like you would advocate more of a G.Fred method, i.e. a swing draw with more cant. I haven't really tried his method much, probably because my archery background up until a couple years ago was wheels - upright with a set arm.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Btw, I still shoot wood on occasion, but those CX Heritage arrows are hard to beat.

Offline oldgriz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 10:07:00 AM »
I have to agree with CV about the Asbell system... that is how I shoot and it works out like a dream for me.. takes some practice, but then again what doesn't in this game...
Tom Mullane
Bear Grayling Mag TD 60" 50#
Bear Grayling Mag TD 64" 37#
Wing Chaparell 60" 48#
Tom Cole Old Timer LB 68# 54#

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 06:34:00 PM »
Tom,

I don't doubt the swing draw could work with enough practice. I find the pseudo-set arm approach to keep both my drawing arm and my bow arm under control (relatively). The few times I tried the Asbel method every thing went to pieces real quick. I won't go so far as to say my form is good, but it seems to fit me better than the swing.

Bob

Offline cvarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 04:44:00 PM »
Well, what you should do is start from the very beginning and not be aiming at a target per se.Just shoot arrows for form for 3 weeks out in an open field with no target. Concentrate only on the nocking drawing anchoring and release and followthru.Thats enough to do without trying to hit a target as well.

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 05:09:00 PM »
CV,

I really appreciate the advice regarding the swing draw, but this is the style I've chosen, and unlike Tiger I don't plan to rebuild my swing every 3 years. ;-)

If we assume for a moment that the style I've chosen will be adequate - and I don't think I'm the only one who begins my draw with my arm outstretched - I was looking for comments on release, follow-through,  anchor consistency, hold time, etc.

Again, I really appreciate the thoughts about the swing draw, and I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but this is my chosen style so I want to optimize it, not make any dramatic changes.

46r

Offline cvarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 06:38:00 PM »
46R , I dont care whether other shooters hold their bows straight out and then draw.That is not good -period.To further explain- according to Howard Hill thru John Shultz video Howard had some absolute rules that must be abided by .You need to change it if you want to get better.Your also not canting and tilting your head which will help you line up the shot better.And yes your anchor hand needs to solidly tuck the middle finger into the corner of you mouth and then Upon Release do nothing with both hands.In other words hold the position until the arrow hits the target. Sorry for being rigid but you ask for help and by george thats what your going to get!

Offline cvarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 06:41:00 PM »
I just realized that you tried the swing draw and you said it all went to pieces. That sounds like your overbowed.Try a bow with a about a 30lb weight at your hold.Youll be able to draw and hold that position easily and after a month of shooting step up in 10lb increments .

Offline X2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »
From what I see, if you want to be consistant at 20 plus yards you have to do everything the same every time.  We way you are releasing now is fine out to 15 or 20 yards, but past that you are going to have consistancy problems.  Try to find a solit anchor, and hold for 1-2 seconds to let everything settle in. focus on the spot you want to hit, and through good form and repetition you will become better at the longer distances.  The bottom line is if you are happy with your current shooting, do nothing but practice.  If you are looking to improve, you have got to try different things until you find what works best for your style of shooting.
Support your local clubs.

Lifetime member of Idaho Traditional Bowhuters.

Lifetime member of Idaho State bowhuters

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 08:24:00 AM »
cv,

I'll sure consider your advice on the swing draw. I may be wrong but I don't think I'm overbowed. The bow is 50# at 28 and I can hold at full draw for a good long time when I can convince my brain not to release too quickly.

X2,

I'm not happy with my current shooting. I want to be solid at 20-25 yards and I am very inconsistent at that range. I can hit up to 17 yards in a kill zone all day long but there is something about that the 18 - 20 yard range...

I hear you about finding the solid anchor and holding for 1-2 seconds. I have been using Jay Kidwell's techniques to try to eliminate my quick release - but the mind is a funny thing. It seems to go on auto pilot when I start to shoot. Thanks for your advice.

46r

Offline X2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 09:00:00 AM »
The best way I have found to "cure" a quick release, is to get close to the target.  Start out at about 5-8 yards.  Focus on coming to full draw and holding for a couple of seconds.  When you get that down, take a step back.  If you start to shoot too quick again move back up.  You will find the yardage that you do not feel comfortable at.  Move a little closer until you are comfortable.  In no time you will feel good  out to at least 25 yards.
Support your local clubs.

Lifetime member of Idaho Traditional Bowhuters.

Lifetime member of Idaho State bowhuters

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 09:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by cvarcher:
46R , I dont care whether other shooters hold their bows straight out and then draw.That is not good -period.
That's an 'absolute' statement, yet its not an absolute.

Nothing wrong with pre pointing, and to be versatile, a bowhunter should learn to pre point and swing draw to capitalize on the opportunities he's offered in the field.

Again, this is really just a 'style' preference, and the foundation of the shot is much more important than 'when you bring the bow up'.

Gonna watch the clips....
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2007, 01:58:00 PM »
Your alignment looks pretty good from that angle....and you are getting full extention. All I really can see is what OlGriz commented on. Looks like you are telling yourself to let go of the string.  Your shot is very fast.

How satisfied are you with your accuracy?

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 02:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:

How satisfied are you with your accuracy?
Terry,

I am satisfied with my short range accuracy - say up to 17 yds, but I am very very unhappy with my consistency beyond that. It's almost like a switch is flipped when I get beyond that distance and my groups widen quickly and dramatically. I have been fooling around with a longer hold time but it doesn't feel natural to me. Only shooting 50# so it doesn't seem like I'm overbowed.

46r

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2007, 03:36:00 PM »
at 17 to 18 yards you should be stacking arrows on top of each other. What you are seeing is the same consistency you get at 17 and 18 yards at it's natural progression..think of the arrows as a shotgun blast...the "choke" or pattern of your shots is 3 to 4 inches at 17 yards and they continue to spread beyond that.

You should be laying them together at 17 yards to the point you pick different spots to shoot to avoid scarring your arrow finish.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 07:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ray Hammond:
at 17 to 18 yards you should be stacking arrows on top of each other...  
Ray,

I have my "moments" when that is the case, but it's the exception. The more I mess around with a little longer hold time the more I think that that is going to be key. Even though it feels a bit unnatural, I think it has the POTENTIAL to improve my shooting more than any other change. My quick release is "good enough" at 17-18, but like I said I want to be consistently in the kill zone at 20-25.

Thanks for the input.

46r

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 08:52:00 AM »
OK, I think you are just shooting too fast, and not getting 'set'.  It looks like you are not 'into' your shot.  Not sure if you catch my drift on that or not.

I'd suggest you slow your draw down, and that will also slow everything else down and give yourself a little more time for everything to register and 'get set'.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©