Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: shot the recurve  (Read 962 times)

Offline oil

• Trad Bowhunter
shot the recurve
« on: July 02, 2007, 08:45:00 PM »
shot the recurve today shot it good. a few was real close togeather. the arrows are fish tailing to the left... the next batch of arrow's will 40-45 these are 45-50 will that make the arrows fish tail??? dont know a thang about a recuvre bow.. shot a compound and crossbow mostley..any ideas?? thanks WORM

Offline Dave Coalter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: shot the recurve
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 08:07:00 AM »
What poundage is your recurve, yes if the arrows are not spined to your bow they will fish tail.
Inside every old man there is a young man asking what the heck happened.

Offline Starkman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 10:30:00 AM »
Michael,
Give us some details about your arrows and bow setup.  How long are the arrows, how heavy are the tips, how many lbs are you pulling at your draw length?  As Dave mentioned, improperly spined arrows will cause arrows to fish tail as well as a bad release.  Have you tried bare shaft tuning?
Bob
"You're never beaten until you admit it." - General George S. Patton, Jr

Offline oil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 06:23:00 PM »
the is 45-pounds at 28 inch i'thank mine is 27?? will check and see..  the arrows will need to be cut down about 3"inch.. dont know much the tips weight??the arrows are made by "CAJUN'  the arrows dont seam to heavy???they are marked 45-50.. thanks WORM

Offline Starkman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 07:20:00 PM »
Your most likely drawing 42-43 lbs.  Don't start off by cutting the arrows to short.  Arrow length is measured from the throat of the nock to the base of the field tip (where the base meets the shaft).  Bareshaft tuning would be best.  I would think that starting off at 29-30" and working your way down would be the safest bet.  I would venture a guess and say your arrows may be spined a little week.....depending on how long they are.  My Dwyer (43lbs @ 27") is shooting 29" spruce shafts spined at 50-55lbs with a 125 gr field tip, and they fly great.  Your release may also cause erratic flight.  I'm not sure where Huntsville is located,  but there are quite a few forum members from TN.  Perhaps you could hook up with some at a shoot.  Best thing for someone starting out is find an experienced shooter....I've only been at this for a few years.  Try the forum directory, or shoot near you to get some pointers.
Bob
"You're never beaten until you admit it." - General George S. Patton, Jr

Offline oil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 05:41:00 PM »
the guy i'got the recurve has been shooting a few years.i' was not canting the bow i'had it about 100clock been canting at 300clock..been shoting better. thanks WORM

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©