Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: string hitting bow arm  (Read 944 times)

Offline john4645

• Trad Bowhunter
string hitting bow arm
« on: July 07, 2007, 09:06:00 PM »
this is mostly for longbow shooters, but is it common for the string to hit your arm. i shoot a Hill bow with a 61/4 inch brace height.

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: string hitting bow arm
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 03:38:00 PM »
No.  You just have to make some adjustments in your syle until it doesn't.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline VinnieB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 03:38:00 PM »
i had this same problem about a month ago. i just started with the longbow and it was hitting my arm almost every shot. i fixed my problem by gripping my bow more to the side. it feels awkward at first, but it fixed the problem.
Martin rebel recurve 45#@25"
Fred Bear Montana Longbow 50#@26"

"Hunting is the last perfect thing"
-Ted Nugent

Offline Greywolfy/U.P. of Mi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »
A couple of things.  

Check your stance.  If you shoot right-handed, your right foot should be pretty close to parallel to the target.  Stand with an open stance, your body is between 30 and 45 degrees of parallel.  I know this sounds dumb, but I don't know how else to write this.

I think as VinnieB was saying, your bow is in that 'V' section between your thumb and hand.  Maybe even more thumb than hand.

Make sure your elbow is rotated out.  Grip anything that's virtical and solid and practice.(The virtical edge of a door works.)

Cant your bow to about 1:00 - 1:30.  AM or PM, doesn't matter.  :)  

Check your brace height.  If your bow is suppose to be from, say, 6" to 7", try closer to 7".

I really, really, really dislike wearing an armguard.  Hot and uncomfortable are two that come to mind.  So I will do anything I can to NOT wear one.  When I get kissed, I know I've done something wrong.
"It's not about you." - Opening sentance from Rick Warren's book, 'The Purpose Driven Life'

Offline MarthaK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 01:32:00 PM »
Thanks all for the tips.  I don't mind wearing an arm guard personally, however I find that the string is constantly slapping me just above the guard on the inside of my elbow.
I've looked all over for more full coverage guards but can't find a thing. So, I guess I need to strap on an ace bandage and work on my form.
Faithful servant to the Dino Wrangler.

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 04:53:00 PM »
My longbow gets my attention when I mess up.  Here are a few things to try.  (1) Be sure you aren't locking your elbow.  Your bow arm should be very slightly bent.  (2) Try a slightly looser grip on the bow.  (3) Try facing the target just a tad more.  (4) Be sure you aren't plucking the string.  Any or all of these things might help.  It's hard to shoot well when you are anticipating getting slapped by the string!

Good Luck!
John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©