Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Bow arm drop/ new video critique  (Read 1949 times)

Online Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bow arm drop/ new video critique
« on: July 08, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »
Please critique my form & give me some suggestions on how to correct them. No bald jokes, my head is "shaved"   :jumper:    Thanks.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online HornHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow arm drop/ new video critique
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 09:10:00 PM »
Holy Smoke!
ya look like an ol woman at the checkout counter, cornfused about the price of geratol!  yer speaking to the spirits, and no one is home??

how bout cleanin up that back yard? I see saw horses,laying around, paint ladders, lord only knows what else hiding in the tree,

good grief you want me send you a hat too? perhaps befor you come out here we should tatto some realtree on that noggin.

need more?
There is room for all of Gods creatures, right next to my mashed potatoes!

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »
just off hand I'd say your bowarm could be a tad bit more stable, other than that looks good,

Online Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 10:11:00 PM »
Hee haw, funny man. I do look at might confused. I got rid of the truck on blocks in the front yard, what else do you want?

Howler, it does look like my bowarm drops too much. Another thing to work on. Thanks for the look.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Full Quiver II

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 10:48:00 AM »
Brian,
Looks real good. Your draw arm looks great, real smooth draw and release. I agree with howler somewhat, your bow arm drops immediately upon release. I am not perfect either, but your groups should tighten up if you will hold that bow arm steady until you here the "thwap" of the arrow hitting the target. Good luck. P.S. Your yard looks great to me.   :thumbsup:
Psalm 127:3-5
TBOF - Trad. Bowhunters of Florida
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 12:06:00 PM »
Brian, video from different camera angles will give some more to go on but here's what I see, first blush:

It looks like you are losing back tenstion with the bow arm dropping some: I would guess you are simply trying to "hold" the bow on target as opposed to a gentle "push" or "reach" towards the target with the bow arm.

You might want to try closing your stance up some in an effort to get your shoulders more in alignment with each other. Move your left foot forward in the direction your toes are facing slightly so that you are more "side-on" to the target. I can't tell from the broadside angle but it looks like you may be out of alignment slightly. If you play the first shot slowly, just after release you look like you "straighten out" your shoulders/upper torso...which would seem to have been "crooked" as you shot.

It's also harder to keep good back tension with a static release, at least for me. You may want to try incorporating a follow-through movement with your drawing hand that forces you to continue pulling the hand straight back as opposed to just stopping it at the point of release.

I would also experiment with an almost locked bow arm elbow...it looks like it's fully locked in the videos. Some find more consistency when shooting with the elbow just short of locked.

Your drawing elbow looks to be in good alignment, head movement is minimal, release hand looks relaxed, intense concentration...all look good from this veiw.

What are the results downrange?
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 12:31:00 PM »
Watched it a few times here is what I saw. Your drawing the arrow back with the draw arm slightly low and away from teh face. When you get the arrow back to where you want it you then bring it to your face. What I thought was a loss of back tension (you still could be loosing some, can't tell) is you actually anchoring by bringing the arrow inward and upward to your face after the arrow was brought back. Watch it a bunch of times, I see it in all three shots. Try to bring the arrow straight back to achor for at least the last six inches (I like to swing draw) and hold back tension.

Online Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »
Thanks for the critique guys. Concensus says bad back tension & dropping my bow arm. I can really see that in the video.

I usually hit pretty well. Funny thing is I usually shoot better when I dont have form in my head & just try to hit the target. When I start tinkering & thinking I usuall struggle. But I always am striving to be a better shot, maybe to the point of obsession.

I have always struggled with the backtension thing. I wish I had a better grasp of that, as my right shoulder is worn out from 25 some years of painting & spraying, plus having a torn rotator this spring.I need to use my back more.

How does one change the bowarm, back tension problem, I will try the suggestions.

I will try to con the wife into some more video help. Thanks.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 06:23:00 PM »
You fellars think this is better? Thanks.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline slow walker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 08:52:00 PM »
OK Buddy, a couple of observations:  First, your wife/girlfriend sounds hot!  Secondly, your dog is a lot better looking than you are. LOL   :D  
Just kidding.  I used to live in Wausau and hunted a lot around there for many years.  From my experience, if you can hit a pie plate at 25 feet, that's plenty good. LOL.  Seriously, your form looks darn good.  If you're having problems, I'd say "think no movement".  Once you draw, hit anchor, look only at the spot and when everything is "still" including your mind, the shot will leave.  Hope that helps.  Best Wishes.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 09:25:00 PM »
1st clip...

You are not getting full extension or proper alignment.  Your shoulders are pointed left of the target, and your elbow is at 5 o'clock instead of 6.

Any way you can get an over head angle?

I'll take a look at the 2nd clip....
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »
I agree with Terry. The first thing that stood out to me is that your right elbow isn't in line with your draw. Pointing your shoulders in line with the target and using your back more should suck that right elbow back.

If you can't do an overhead video, how about one right behind you and pointed toward the target?

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 08:57:00 AM »
Same thing on the 2nd clip....

And I think this is causing you to muscle the bow a bit, and causing the bow arm drop.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Adam Mooney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 05:55:00 PM »
Also it looks like you have a death grip with the bow hand. Try to ease up on that hand a bit. This will keep you from torquing the bow.
Adam

Offline slow walker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 09:08:00 PM »
Hmmm, well I must admit that Terry probably know more than I about form.  However, don't forget what I said....it worked for me.  Still think you got a cute dog. LOL

Offline slow walker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2007, 09:15:00 PM »
I'd like to knwo what distance you're shooting at and how you grouped/how close you came to the aiming point.  I tried to be critical in a constructive way, but I still think your form looks darn good.

Online HornHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2007, 07:55:00 AM »
Man you can only put so much lipstick on a pig

even the physco lab is bored, there must be a big bone on the ground for that poor dog to have to sit there and "watch"

be sure and practice with your packframe on,your going to need it

Online Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2007, 08:53:00 PM »
My dog is THRILLED to watch me shoot I`ll have you know!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online HornHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2007, 07:51:00 AM »
he looks thrilled " :)   bout as thrilling as a dentist drilling

hey if your around this weekend I'll give you a shout

Offline Jaeger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2007, 09:22:00 AM »
Man you release the arrow fast!
I have to hold for a moment or two before I release to settle into the shot.

Your bow arm is definitely dropping at the shot in both videos. I suggest following Terry's suggestions. When you have that down you can try reopening your stance. It will deteriorate your form just a bit but I find it a more agreeable stance in hunting situations. How much weight are you drawing?
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of PA

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©