Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Tough Spine Question  (Read 760 times)

Offline Tree Ghost

• Trad Bowhunter
Tough Spine Question
« on: July 14, 2007, 12:46:00 AM »
I am currently shooting a beman 340 Black Max loaded up front with a 100 grain insert and a 150 grain head. When I bought the shafts a couple of years ago, I realized that they were somewhat stiff but was kind of stuck with what I had and just kept with the same set up even though I can easily shoot a shaft that is 2-2 1/4 inches shorter. I'm looking at buying a new dozen shafts and am wondering if I could go with the same set on a 400. Has anyone tried to make this kind of switch, or does anyone have an idea if a 2 inch shorter shaft could allow me to get away with a softer shaft? I'm shooting my Schafer 65 lbs @ 28" with the current shaft at an average of 203 fps.

Tree Ghost

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tough Spine Question
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 04:31:00 PM »
When you say they are stiff, have you bareshaft tuned them? You say you could cut off 2-2 1/4"...but that would stiffen them up more? If you cut them down too much and now they are stiff with the 250gr. up front all you can do is add more weight. It sounds like they are too stiff if you have 2" or more that you could cut off. What is your draw length and what length are these arrows? Go to the website of the manufacturer of these shafts and they should give you a general range for each shaft spine that will be compatiable with different poundage of bows. If you Schafer is a center-cut bow it should be able to handle a wide range of poundage.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©