Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Rick Welch could be right!!!  (Read 1449 times)

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
Rick Welch could be right!!!
« on: July 19, 2007, 10:11:00 PM »
I finished building a r/d 64" longbow the other day and while sanding I checked the tiller and it was even. wanting a break from the sanding I strung her up and proceded to shoot the best groups I`ve ever shot out to thirty yards. Catch is I did it three under instinctive. I have always shot split finger and felt good with my shooting but this little bit of playing has got me wondering about changing. The three under is no doubt more forgiving for me.No flyers and great arrow flight.Any body else ever noticed this ? My arrows shot a little low but nothing I could not adjust to. At my hunting shot range of twenty and less I have shot off and on for three days and not missed more than four or five inches yet.Impressive. Could be the bow I built....NOT.RC

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rick Welch could be right!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 10:17:00 PM »
Yep!  I shot split finger for years.  3 under is for sure more forgiving for me. You will shoot low only for a few days while your brain adjusts, and then you will be fine.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 09:48:00 PM »
I shoot 3 under with a Dalaa adjusted to even tiller.I started shooting like this the last of April.I wish I had known what I know now years ago.I am becoming very accurate.

It really helps me to get the point of my arrow closer to my target.It makes it easier to judge a straight line to the target.

I've also started shooting cock feather down and touching a feather to my nose at anchor.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 11:39:00 PM »
With 3 under- what finger do you anchor with?

Thanks
Dan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Cutty47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 01:58:00 AM »
I know I get a much cleaner release shooting 3 under.  I'm shooting three under right now because I ripped a callus off my index finger and can't shoot split...and wondering if I'm going to have to admit to myself that I'm more accurate 3 under.

I like to shoot split because of the control I have when and if I need to snap shoot while hunting from the ground.  And because I started that way, just feels "right"...but while I have to, I'm going to give 3 under a fair try.

Offline highnoonhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 05:21:00 AM »
I also started shooting 3 under this year. Well, I actually went back to 3 under. I've tried it several times over the past 30 years.

After I readjusted to 3 under, I like it much better. The only disadvantage I've found is shooting straight up, like you often do when squirrel hunting.

But I think that too will work itself out in time.

hnh
Member: Christian Bowhunters of America
Physically Challenged Bowhunters of America
International Internet Leathercrafters' Guild, Inc.
-
Holmes Mongoose reverse handle longbow. 63" 63@28
Longriver Longbow: 69" 69@28
Kolometz Kustom Longbow 66" 76@28

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 07:51:00 AM »
You can still shoot Rick's way and modifiy for any situation!  :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 11:39:00 AM »
dan, you can anchor with the middle finger to the corner of the mouth. or any variation you want to... i anchor higher than this on my cheek bone and have a point on of 20yds then i face walk .. for 30yds point on, i use my middle finger conrner of mouth. at 40yds i drop down to index finger in corner of mouth for my point on.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 07:36:00 PM »
I anchor with the top finger in the corner of my mouth and shoot instictive. I can now see the arrow but If I pay it any attention its not on purpose. Not against anyone that does use the arrow I just have not yet except at forty plus yards then its all over my target so why not use it.RC

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 11:04:00 PM »
Thanks all- giving it a try after 20 years of split.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 06:45:00 PM »
Hello Robert, maybe your mentor Biggie could answer this.......!!!!@!$%.....I have gone down that same road twice in last 20 years. i always come back to split finger becasue it's a tab bit quieter and for some reason my drawing hand just feels more solid on my face...but.......if i have a turkey or deer with 7-6-5 yards ..I'll shoot 3 fingers under and look down the arrow like a cue pool...i missed a gobbler one time with matt Schuster at 4 yards......i learned how to " cheat" after that.....You can do both...Do you have a Welch tape?
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »
Joebuck , As far as Biggie goes I only except advise from shooters that can beat me !!! I do have a Welch tape and the overkill cd. I played with this three under now for a couple of weeks. I can shoot either way . Will probably shoot split because I`m used to it and as I said at the beginning of this post I feel good with my shooting . If I were teaching a beginner I would steer them to three under . I think it would be "quicker" for them to get accurate and more forgiving.I hit a milk jug at forty yards today with a broadhead 8 of 10 shots split finger. Since I rarely shoot past tweenty on critters I can live with that.RC

Offline cajunbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 02:58:00 AM »
Shooting 3 under does 2 things for me.shortens the gap and lets me put the fletching on my nose as a draw check.I tried split with a higher anchor but 3 under middle finger in the corner of the mouth just feels more natural.RC if ya get to shooting much better them pigs won't have a sportin chance lol.

CB
"Forget your lust for the rich mans gold all that you need is in your soul...Find a woman and you'll find love and don't forget son,there is someone up above...Ronnie Van Zant "simple man"

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 05:34:00 AM »
Been shooting 3 under for several years now. Fold thumb over pinky nail, thumb rides up jaw line when hand is on face, anchor index in mouth corner, feather touching nose. Very consistant.

I get a longer draw as it squares my shoulders better.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2007, 10:41:00 AM »
I went back back and retillered my bow positive top limb a mere 1/8"-1/16" to shoot both ways....I agree RC.. a begginner will find much quicker success starting out three under. I actually shoot 2 under..My index does 0 pulling. It just rests besides the string...3 fingers under have come along way..I can remember when they were outlawed or look down upon at Traditional Only Shoots mid to late 80's and early 90's....
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline draco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2007, 12:21:00 AM »
I`ve shot 3 under for about 44 years now and am getting it down pretty good now.I`ve taught many people to shoot thru the years,always 3 under and many took deer thier 1st year. People just seem to pick it up faster. Some changed later but most stayed with it. The 3 best shooters I`ve ever known all shot 3 under.(not me) The bows shoot a bit noisier but not so much Cat Whiskers wont cure. The nock point needs to be a bit higher. I build my own bows so thats never been a problem for me.    And yes I`ve been turned away at shoots before, even after showing a picture of Arthur Young shooting 3 under.

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2007, 10:04:00 AM »
If you notice most of the top Trad target shooters all shoot 3 under, but I think that has more to do with their method of gap shooting then anything else and wanting to keep their point on distance much closer.  I personally do not like the additional noise I get out of shooting 3 under, but instaed I shoot split finger but have a very high anchor.  I put my index finger on the corner of my chin bone and the arrow is right under my eye.  I have been working on using a modified gap system to increase my consistency at longer ranges.  I shoot stricly instinctive up to about 25 yds, but at 30 I can hold my insert just at the bottom of the kill and at 40 I hold on the top of the back, so my point on is about 35yds.  Has been working very well for me and I can shoot almost as good at 40 gap shooting as I do at 20 instinctive.  Mark
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline J Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2007, 10:14:00 AM »
i like three under. i anchor with my thumb knuckle on my ear lobe and look down the arrow. although i'm focusing on the target i can still see the tip of the arrow in my secondary vision. using the back muscles to pull is mandatory for control and accuracy. i also use a light grip on the bow and my release is somewhat of a rearward snap. like rick says in his video- do this time in and time out. it works for me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©