Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: ? for terry or jc  (Read 921 times)

Offline keith brimmer

• Trad Bowhunter
? for terry or jc
« on: July 20, 2007, 09:35:00 AM »
first of all my shooting has realy improved in the last 3 months .this is primarily to alignment (thanks to the shooters forum).now i want to work on my release,i keep hearing about relaxed drawing hand and i cant get that into my head.right now i have a static release(tend to pluck the string) but iwant to change to a pull through release.any tips?
ps terry i aint afraid of no monsters just want to improve

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ? for terry or jc
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 10:43:00 AM »
Keith, Terry is a master at pulling through the shot. His friends lovingly call it "the matrix release" cause it looks like a slow mo out of that movie. The point is, his "exaggerated" slide to the back of his neck ensures good follow through and back tension. I've really learned a lot from watching Terry's follow through...it really does work.

That's not to say you can't shoot great with a static release...Ron LaClair is an unbelievable shot and his hand hardly ever passes anchor from what I've seen.

I would suggest exaggerating your follow through for at least a few hundred shots. I think you'll find your release improving simply from making a good follow through. Eventually, you may find yourself returning to the static release...but use the exaggerated follow through to burn in how the muscles should be reacting after the shot.

As for the relaxed drawing hand, I don't know of any better way to explain it other than your three drawing fingers act only as a hook at the end...the rest of the hand and arm is simply a rope from the hook to the elbow. Don't try "cupping" the hand to hold the string...relaxing the back of the hand will keep the "hook" in good alingment to the elbow.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline keith brimmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »
SWEET ,thanks jc i guess i was doing it right after all (i was actualy copying one of your shooting videos).your disciption is right on the money.a few hundred more shots and maybe ill get it

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 11:56:00 AM »
Keith, shooting close and with a video camera running will help with the follow through: close so you don't have to work at aiming and the camera will really be excellent feedback for how good you are following through. Good luck!
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 09:54:00 PM »
Tension in the string hand comes from shooting off the pads, and not hooking on the string.  Shooting off the pads creates a curve, and when you hook on the back of your hand and fingers are straighter.

And, if you are hooking and still plucking, you are either 'telling yourself' to let go....or your elbow is not back far enough to create back tension.

Least that's my take on it.

The more you shoot, with a proper grip on the string and proper back tension, your release will just 'happen' when your brain registers 'on target'.....just like you don't tell yourself to let go of a baseball or football.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Artur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 01:53:00 AM »
I read an article in Traditional Bowhunter, written by G. Fred Asbell, about string hand tension and "hooking" the string... Asbell said that to get a feel for how to properly "hook" the string, pick up a paint can with your fingers (as opposed to the whole hand, as in closing the hand around the handle) and let it dangle from your fingers. I tell you, what he describes in that article works.
Artur - Archer/Fletcher; To Live Is To Learn, To Learn Is to Live

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©