Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: What's wrong with me? Target panic???  (Read 1178 times)

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
What's wrong with me? Target panic???
« on: July 24, 2007, 05:51:00 PM »
I can shoot stumps, pinecones, etc, and shoot at game and i always come to full draw, anchor and release.  But when I'm trying to shoot the target in my garage or yard i panic and think i might miss and hit something else and i end up short drawing and jerking the release.  this wouldn't bother me if i had the time to stump shoot everyday, but most of the time the only practice i can get is by shooting in the garage or backyard.  this panic is messing up my form and killing my confidence.  any suggestions or cures for this would be appreciated.

thanks,
Ken
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What's wrong with me? Target panic???
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 05:56:00 PM »
You seem to be afraid to miss.  Build a big back stop so that nothing bad will happen is you miss.

Use to happen to me shooting in the winter with high snow banks.  After missing the target a couple of times and digging about 15 feet back through a 8 foot snow bank I got a little target shy!

On a side note where in the Central Coast are you?  I grew up in San Luis Obispo.
<---TGMM Family of the bow---<<<<

Offline talldrinkofwater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 06:03:00 PM »
When i was going through the stages of target panic i had my dad watch me and ask him what im doing wrong. HAVING SOMEONE WATCH YOU SHOOT WILL HELP I THINK>>>>
GOOD LUCK

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »
I'm at Vandenberg Air Force Base, about 45 min south of SLO.  

I've been practicing my form by just pulling back and aiming at something that i know i can't shoot and i can hold it all day, but the minute i point at a target i short draw and jerk a release (even when i don't want to release) something in my brain just makes me let go.
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 06:11:00 PM »
Don't beat yourself up about this Ken. You kinda answered your own question. Alot of us get "distracted" shooting in our back yards and such. Maybe you should shoot only one arrow each day at home. Make it count. Then when you are un the woods you can relax and let the arrows fly!

Get hold of Jay Kidwells book; "Traditional Archery Insights" ... It will help alot!

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 07:38:00 PM »
It has been written before by people who are much more qualified than me to say so, but I'll say it again.  Shooting a barebow is mostly mental.  If your form is good and you think you can hit a certain target you probably will.  The moment you get distracted or doubt your shot you are in trouble.  I was watching some video of Byron Ferguson doing trick shots and the biggest thing that struck me is that he seem genuinely surprised when a shot doesn't go exactly where he wants it to.  That's the difference between him and me.  I make a good shot and think "Yeah!  That's the way it's supposed to be!"  He makes a bad shot and is astounded.  That difference probably explains why I'll never make a living shooting a bow.

I shoot mostly in my backyard.  My best suggestion is to get real close and start shooting.  Then take a couple of steps back and shoot from there.  Take a couple more steps back and shoot again.  At each stage teach yourself to concentrate on the spot you want to hit and nothing else.  Shoot one arrow and then pull it.  I discovered that I'd spread shots if I was worrying about damaging an arrow already in the target.  If you want to have some real fun, try looking at one spot and thinking "I'll hit high left".  I'll bet that's what you will do.

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline capt eddie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 12:02:00 AM »
Shoot in the dark.  Put some type of light on the target and shoot.  You can not see your arrow or the background.  Just the light.  You will surprise  your self with how good you can shoot.
capt eddie

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 05:37:00 PM »
Ever try a clicker?    ;)  

Check out some of the threads on here and see how it may help your shooting.   :saywhat:
Lon Scott

Offline mochasam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 08:07:00 PM »
Ken you want to shoot you can shoot , if you think you can you will. Focus on coming to anchor
and pulling your shoulders together . Start really close 5 or 10 yards and try to get the target at eye level. Just remember you know how to shoot and not being able to is just in your head and picture the perfect shot draw anchor and release.
 Good luck

Offline Big'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 08:33:00 PM »
Blackhawk is right on. Please try a clicker. They really do work!  DAVE
"If you want just one thing too much in life....Your life will likely be a disappointment" Augustus McCrae

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 03:29:00 PM »
yep, it's a form of t.p.

Offline BONE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 07:45:00 AM »
Ken---I second DR.Jay Kidwells book.When I start getting sloppy,I go back and re-read select chapters.I went to a shoot in Arkansas 2 weeks ago and shot the absolute worst I possibly could have.Sunday night I read the book and it brought me back to 20yd 3" groups and one Robin Hood. No magic fix-just good common sense that keeps you on track.REad the chapter on positive thinking,makes a world of difference.--Bone   ;)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©