Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Dealing with the inconsistency?  (Read 1277 times)

Offline rybohunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Dealing with the inconsistency?
« on: August 03, 2007, 05:49:00 PM »
I knew this wouldn't be easy, but sometimes it just blows my mind how well I can shoot one night, and how poorly the next. Release feels good, anchor feels good....shot is no where near its intended mark. Check nock & brace height, they are fine. Bury a few arrows in there, then the next few miss completely. Call it a day and try it again tomorrow.   :banghead:

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dealing with the inconsistency?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 06:26:00 PM »
How heavy a bow do you shoot?

Offline Jarrod Feiner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 06:39:00 PM »
It sounds like the physical game is good: good release, anchor, bow set-up...et cetera.

Where things might be going wrong is in the mental game (maybe) I only suggest this because you spoke of the physical attributes of your shooting and not the mental.

Think about this: As you are letting the arrow go, if you are thinking, "Is this thing on my back a mole? Is my hair line a bit further back than it used to be? And, what the hell was that noise that my truck was making the other day?" All these will have a detrimental effect upon your concentration and the shot will refect it.

The perfect shot comes from a strong body and 100% of your concentration. If you have the flu, if you are thinking about your daughter's questionable taste in boyfriends   :scared:   , you will not execute the perfect shot. And that's part of traditional archery--heak if it were easy everyone would be doing it.

My 2 cents.
"Your own soul, as a hunter, has gone out to fasten on the soul of the deer, even before the deer has any wind of you, it is so. It is a subtle, profound battle of wills , which takes place in the invisible" D.H. Lawrence

Offline AllenR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
You are right, it is very difficult to diagnose inconsistency, even in person much less over the internet.

One good place to start is to list your shot sequence.  Often one of the more experienced shooters can pick up something from that.

Allen

Offline rybohunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »
Its only a 50# bow, I could shoot it all night.

I know its all mental, i just don't know how to fix it. It's like the harder I try the worse I get, yet if I don't concentrate at all I don't do good either. I had hoped to hunt with this bow, but there is no way I am risking a wounded one.

Offline Artur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 01:53:00 AM »
rybohunter;

This may seem counter-intuitive, but when I just "let go" and don't even think about the shot, I seem to do better than when i "concentrate" on making a "perfect shot". In fact, it seems that the best shots I have ever made were done during a timed shoot -- 30 seconds, as many arrows as possible (accurately) -- I didn't have time to think about where my anchor was, where the arrow was pointing, how far back my elbow was, etc.

Just shoot, don't think about it, and see what results you end up with. It's worth a try, at least.
Artur - Archer/Fletcher; To Live Is To Learn, To Learn Is to Live

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 12:53:00 PM »
I don,t know you at all but what your feeling I have felt, I don,t care if your pulling the trigger on a varmit rifle with a 2 pound trigger, or releasing the string on a bow you have entered the world of risk, you have got to convince yourself that you have practiced and prepared yourself and when that critter comes along you focus on that spot,. and trust me all that practice will just take over, You can do this,,,

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 10:39:00 PM »
You might also try Dr. Jay Kidwell's book, "Instinctive Archery Insights".  He has some good points in there.

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline Luckyned

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 10:40:00 PM »
Hey, I'm not even close to good so I really shouldn't be responding BUT I noticed you mentioned that you bow weight allows you to shoot all day and I noticed when I started shooting my kid's old 45lb longbow..thought it would be fun when I'm feeling hurt and old..I really suck with it! I think I take more time to aim with it then my 55lb bow allows. Maybe you are second guessing or have time to pluck the release?

Offline cvarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 12:31:00 AM »
Well listen to this. Ive been shooting instinctively for years.Took several deer and many small game.Im a fast shooter and on target I can get a few shots that touch and and a few that are way off.It just shows that you cannot be a machine doing everything exactly the same. SO.. I went back to the basics.I picked up a very light 40lb bow.Worked 10yds from the target.Practiced controlling the mind to draw to a solid anchor and hold till I see everything lined up and then release very smoothly.As the days went by I kept at it. Then I mixed in shooting a few fast and a few with a 5 second hold.I wanted to see a group shot with the hold and a group shot snap shooting. Heres what I found.Sometimes a few snap shots would go right to the mark.Other times way off.In other words not reliable for full confidence. When I concentrated, deliberate and held for 4-5 seconds almost all shots went to or very near the mark. So.. I worked at it and now Im at 50lbs. When you draw to anchor make sure you secondarily see your whole posture to check yourself while your eyes keep looking at the spot .J. KIdwell has helpful hints .Work that in too.

Offline Luckyned

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 12:45:00 AM »
:knothead:   Well..crap. I really like shooting that underpound bow but I just can't! I can't help but wonder if we can do no better then share some basic techniques but cannot say you can or can't do it 'your way'? I've tried..but if I hold my shot for more than a split-second..I miss. I can't say I like my style. Sometimes, I can't take a certain shot because it(cridder) made me hold my shot too long. Beats me..maybe I'm overbowed on that bow!?

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 11:16:00 AM »
consistent shooting (or a golf swing, anything athletic)requires 3 things:

1. Muscle memory
2. Adequate muscle strength
3. Acute mental focus
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 11:32:00 AM »
do what some guys do here and video yourself if possible, there is a wealth of knowledge here you open yourself to some critisism but it's
99% constructive give it a try it can save you lot's of headaches good luck Ralph
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©