Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Reminder how fun this is.  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Doublegun

• Trad Bowhunter
Reminder how fun this is.
« on: August 03, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
For the last 4-weeks I have been shooting my wheelie exclusivly - just to get dialed back in with that and to change up my routine.  Unbelievable to me how easy it is to shoot tight groups out to 50-yards (5" or less).  Went to my Pro shop this afternoon for a minor repair and took along my K-Mag to show one of the guys.  Went into the range with the K-mag and put the first three arrows in to the heart of a silouette target at 15-yards.  Smooth, quiet and deep into the bail.

The trip reminded me how much more fun it is to shoot a recurve than a wheelie.  So simple and so satisfying to shoot.  I'll be hunting my Matthews when I hit the road this fall and hunt in Indiana and Ohio, but the old Bear will be there as well.  And when I hunt the cedar swamps this fall up north in Michigan I'll leave the Matthews at home.

Offline Hardhed

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Reminder how fun this is.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »
I just had the same experience, I hadn't shot a compound in about 10 months, and I am temporarily without my longbow.  

Yesterday I took the compound out with 12 arrows, and after the 12th arrow shot, I realized I really wasn't having any fun with it, and didn't have any interest in going another 12.  It's hard to explain why seeing the arrow sail down range with just an instinctive shot is so much fun.

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 06:51:00 PM »
I have a Mathews Switchback and four longbows... A BW PLX Bacote, A Hornes, A Great Plains and a new Ancient Spirits Sequoia which is due to arrive any day now. Love shooting them all but nothing compares to the instinctive shot and the feeling you get from launching an arrow from traditional gear. You own the arrow all the way to the target.. that's the only way I can express it

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 07:24:00 PM »
I agree.  For the pure thrill of shooting, a trad bow can't be beat.

It's light and primative and all skill.  Add wheels, sights, kisser, peep and release and you can shoot well in a day.  Brilliantly in a month.

A longbow, however, takes time and constant practice.  You'll always have room for improvement.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline notdodger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 07:42:00 PM »
SAME HERE FELLA'S !!  I Went 1 1/2 years without shooting a wheelie. Shot just a few arrows. And what do ya know.... Bored to tears. Plus I felt guilty..hehe

Offline cedar swampman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 09:05:00 PM »
Many days I go out and shoot my course with my compound and then later shoot it with a stick. I am realizing that 25yds and under there is no advantage to the compound and there is definately more to be concerned with(pins etc). I love the fact that with a stick its all about form and when you are on it is magical!As far as unorthodox shots the simple stick has the edge.Now if one where trying a long shot on a muley lets say a compound might have the edge.

Offline Corvid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 01:59:00 PM »
It seems we're all feeling the same. Like Mitch-in-NJ said, a stick and string is light (My home made longbow weighs 1 1/2 pounds) I think my Mathews Conquest Pro weighs more than my 30-30 rifle. After the rest,sight,stabilizer and other junk is added. I have not picked up me Mathews since last deer season, and I don't know that I will.
   The primitive,predatory, uplifting feeling that traditional fills my soul with is something no wheel bow can give me.

Offline Luckyned

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 11:08:00 PM »
Atleast you all are guilt free! I'm a closet lowbow shooter, currently. My buddy is a archery addict but of the wheeled version who has been slowly pulling me back into the game. I put it all away for awhile cause I'm raising 4 kids. He finally twisted my arm by basically supplying me with all the latest quizmos and bows to go out 3D shooting the past 2 summers. What does he get for his efforts?  Me, sneaking out with my old stickbow and sharpened sticks to take a wack at all our 3D targets! I'm addicted all over again. I've got a huge order to put into 3River's as soon as I can double check it all!

Offline BleekLight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »
Yeah I have a similar story to. I've shot trad for about 3 years now. Well one day my buddy and I where went to the range to shoot and he was using his whellie. He let me shoot it a bit and I got a little curious about them so I went out and bought one. It was a Buck master's 2 by bear. I had it for about 6 months and thats all it took for me to get bored with it and realize it wasn't really any fun. So not long after I sold it at a garage sale and haven't picked on up since.
---------------------------------
I shot an arrow into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
For, so swiftly it flew, the sight
Could not follow it in its flight.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©