Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: CAN YOU HAVE TO MUCH ARROW WEIGHT  (Read 3298 times)

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: CAN YOU HAVE TO MUCH ARROW WEIGHT
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2007, 08:17:00 PM »
The Shooters forum is for the mechanics of shooting, whether hunting, 3D or whatever.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Traditional-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
Jim/LI  :saywhat:   :thumbsup:
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.  

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline falcon70

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2007, 12:10:00 AM »
3 Rivers has 50 and 100 grain brass inserts as well as 100 and 125 grain steel broadadapters allowing you to put 350 to 425 grains up front with a broadheade and a mass weight from 620 to 730 grain arrows. 100+ grains at these weights changes the trajectory very little until you get to 30 yds. You can get over 800 grains if you use the carbon express Heritage 13.0 grains per inch shaft or the cabelas out fitter shafts with camo flinish at 13.5 grains per inch. The heritage and the cabelas outfitter shafts are the same.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2007, 08:31:00 PM »
Thanks folcon70,
I'm going to go there right now on the web that is.
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.  

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline IowaBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2007, 11:17:00 PM »
I shoot bemans 400 out of a similar set up as yours.  They fly like darts. I add 3 grains/inch plastic tubing (available at 3 Rivers, most trad. archery shops)so I'm shooting a 535 grain arrow at a 26.5'draw.  Arrows are 28.5". This tubing doesn't affect spine.  You can add more weight by inserting 5 or 8 grain/inch tubing. Highly suggest doing this since you don't need to buy new arrows, which will require re-tuning to your bow.

Iowa Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2007, 09:52:00 PM »
Thanks IowaBob,
You may think this is strange I was just looking at the incerts on 3rivers last night.I had the 3gpi incerts in my shopping cart. if I put the inserts in my arrows they will weigh 535 grain. I just need to make it happin.

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2007, 09:26:00 AM »
Thanks to all that had input in helping me find the perfect arrow for my bow set-up. I have got the arrow I believe, it shoots like a dart. The arrow is a goldtip 35-55 3 grain weight tube  incert. It has a 50 grain brass incert for the tip with 125 grain point. Total weight is 503 grain. I'm shooting 49 lbs I made the 10 gpi goal I was shooting for. Thank again to all. and a special thank to Lancaster archery supply for there help in making the arrow.
Jhansen,
Thanks the arrow length ended up being 26" I did bare shaft shoot wright out of the gate. Rob the owner of L.A.S he suggested 26" the thinking being    :clapper:   1/2 " one way or another woudn't make that much difference. It worked out the arrow bare shaft was as sraight as it could be.   :pray:

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2007, 02:28:00 PM »
just wondering wouldn't a tube affect arrow spine
thanks Ralph
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2007, 04:43:00 PM »
I get these questions all the time and I think the best advice is to shoot as heavy an arrow as you can and still live with the trajectory. The rule of thumb of 10gpp might be a good average but some bows are going to shoot as fast at 12gpp as others do at 8. The way bows work, if you double your arrow weight you only lose 25% of your velocity so unless a target archer is shooting 90 meters and everything in between, the trajectory factor is not a big deal but the shooting qualities of the bow and the penetration gains are....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2007, 05:00:00 PM »
does a tube affect arrow spine anybody?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2007, 05:38:00 PM »
No, not the tube itself but the weight of it changes your tuning. If you change ANYTHING in the moving parts expect to have to retune. Even things that don't move but add or subtract mass, like bow quivers, will change the tuning....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2007, 06:29:00 PM »
Like O.L said but I didn't know it effects spine I shot both with and without tubes in the arrows I had made for this bow. I saw no or little differences at 20 yards, maybe 2" low with tubes or so. But spine is the flexibility of the arrow not the weight. So spine, not that I could tell and most of the information I gathered from others while developing this arrow told me tubes do not effect the spine. Three rivers web. sight advertises no effect or little effect.   :thumbsup:

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2007, 06:43:00 PM »
not knowing the dynamics it would seem that with more wt in the middle of the arrow it would flex more and therefore weaken spine,or stiffen without adding wt to tip changing tuning and then having to add more wt to get it to fly i'm asking because i might try in some 55-75s carbons out of my longbow thanks much Ralph
TGMM Family of the Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2007, 08:18:00 PM »
Ralph,
you need to know what your gaol is in weight. You can get 3 gpi 5 gpi or 8 gpi.
50 g- insert 100 g-insert. Add some weight with knock weights and so on. I think the best advice I can give anyone is to know your limitations. If you are looking for the best arrow flight you can have get all the help you can.

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline deertraks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »
I have a 50# S Shrew, I probably pull 48#. I'm shooting a 29" CX Heritage 150, that weighs right at 600gr. I have 240gr up front. Is this too much weight? It seems to shoot well and I'm going to limit my shots to 15-20yrds.
Dave
Phil. 2:6-11

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2007, 02:36:00 PM »
if they fly good Dave it really ought to penetrate well i shoot with 235grs up front with a 33-55 the arrows only weigh 8.6 grs per inch
for a total of 478 grs hope to see what it does on a deer soon.
TGMM Family of the Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2007, 06:25:00 PM »
deertraks,
That is a good weight. I would like to know do they fly good with blades on them. It comes down to one thing for me. accuracy ,the smaller I miss the better the hit I had.
I just can't say more. If you feel confident and know you have the best arrow bow combination it then is on you. That to me is what traditional hunting is all about. Confidence in your equipment breeds confidence in you, with practice.  :notworthy:

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline deertraks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2007, 07:42:00 AM »
Traditional-Archer, they fly very well with my broadhead. I modified a Muzzy Phantom SS to make it a single bevel and it flies great. When it hits my broadhead target it twists inside the target. Man I love this trad stuff.  :thumbsup:
Dave
Phil. 2:6-11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2007, 07:05:00 PM »
deertraks,
Thats what I'm talking about.

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2007, 07:13:00 PM »
O.L,
You are right everything from the ground up can change the way your bow shoots including altitude. And they say shooting traditional equipment is simplifying the art of shooting a bow.  :knothead:

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©