Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Deep Grip vs. Fingertip Grip  (Read 1989 times)

Offline ewarshaw

• Trad Bowhunter
Deep Grip vs. Fingertip Grip
« on: August 09, 2007, 12:21:00 AM »
Hey Folks,
I'm pretty new to traditional shooting. I have been shooting with a glove and was using the fingertip grip. Now and then, I'll end up with a deep grip. I have had about equal success with both (which is to say that, so far, I'm lousy either way). I'm doing mostly range shooting, with an occasional stump shooting trip when I feel like ruining my arrows. I plan to hunt deer with my recurve this year (6 1/2 weeks out).
Would you please tell me which you prefer and why? As I try to improve my form, consistency, technique, etc., I think I really need to pick one or the other and stick with it (feel free to tell me if I'm wrong).
I'm shooting a 50# recurve (Bear Grizzly).
Thanks.
Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
-Genesis 27:3

Offline bm22

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deep Grip vs. Fingertip Grip
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 12:30:00 AM »
most of the videos and people i have talked to said to shoot with a deep hook, between the first and second joint. however i shoot 3 under with the string on my first joint of the index and middle finger and the tip of my ring finger.
do what you want but as you stated pick one and stick with it.

Offline Artur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 03:37:00 AM »
According to G. Fred Asbell, as written in Traditional Bowhunter Magazine, it is helpful to begin with the string hooked between the 1st and 2nd joints of the fingers (the order would be: finger tip/pad, 1st joint, 2nd joint, etc, towards the main part of the hand), as though you were picking up a paint can, and let the string roll towards the tips as you draw, helping to ensure the arrow stays on the bow. It sounds more complicated than it is, and Asbell explains it better than I can. It's a recent issue of the magazine, I'll see if I can find it...
Artur - Archer/Fletcher; To Live Is To Learn, To Learn Is to Live

Offline AllenR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 08:21:00 AM »
I'm probably not much better than you since I recently went back to the recurve after using a release on compound bows for years.

However, all of the better shooters and coaches, including the Olympic coaches, recommend a deeper grip on the string.  By deeper they mean to hold the string low on the second joint of the hand.

The reason for this is that you need less muscle than if you are holding the string by your finger tips.  Less muscle allows for a more consistent release.  

One of the quirks of evolution is that our muscles contract much faster than they relax.  The release, at it's best, is simply dropping the string and allowing the bow to shoot itself by pushing your fingers out of the way.  The less muscle tension prior to release, the less the string has to push out of the way.

One coach told me that if he sees an archers fingers straight out immediately after the shot, then he knew that it was a bad shot, regardless of where the arrow hit. If he sees the finger curled in almost the same position as before the release, at least the release portion of the shot was good.

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 08:38:00 AM »
i'm 8 mos new to shooting with fingers and i'll tell you the deep hook completely changed my shooting for the good it makes the bow feel 10 lbs lighter gives you a strait hand which is more powerfull ,stait hand strait arm back tension draw it worked for me good luck Ralph
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 08:59:00 AM »
I have been a deep hook guy since the beginning. It's what works for me, what works for you only you know.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Corvid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 01:18:00 PM »
I've been shooting over 20 years, mostly compound, and for about 10 of those years I was a finger shooter using my fingertips. I used to outshoot all my buddies with their releases. I did swith to a release later on and they work great minus the "fumble factor" when hunting. I too have recently put my compound to rest in its case and opted for the longbow,which I made in Dec. I shoot this from fingertips also, I did read G. Fred Asbells article on the deep hook and have tried it. It IS easier to hold the bow @ full draw but it just doesn't feel right to me. I guess it,s hard to break old habits. If it aint broke dont fix it.I shoot good groups out to 20 yards and plan on hunting this season with my longbow shooting off my tips. I guess it comes down to personal preferance and maybe teaching old dogs new tricks. Whatever you do be consistant and remember "Perfect practice makes perfect" Good luck!!

Offline Taiga Recurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 04:34:00 PM »
I have shot with just my figer tips for quite some time. With in the last year a fellow archer told me to get a good deep hook, using the first knucke joint down from your finger tips. My accuracy has improved a lot using this technique. Don't be afraid to try new things, just give it a chance and practice good form doing it, if it doesn't work out try something else that might work for you.
"Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye.
Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark!"

Offline ewarshaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 12:05:00 AM »
Thanks for your replies. It is appreciated!
Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 04:19:00 PM »
Deep hook for me.

Offline ewarshaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 09:42:00 PM »
After two more trips two the range, it's gotta be the deep hook, or at least as far in as the first knuckle. It's more comfortable and I get better consistency.
Thanks again.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »
I have been using a deep hook since I started shooting traditional.The back of your hand is more relaxed and it seems easier when drawing a heavier pound bow.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 03:41:00 PM »
A deep hook puts you in control of the string release.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Jim/LI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »
I tried a deep hook for a while with limited success.  I also found that the string dug into the groove in my hand and caused problems with the nerve in my middle finger.  I had to switch to a very thick tab for several weeks.  I have reverted back to shooting off the pads.  The string hits forward of the first joint by about 1/8".  For me, this is more comfortable and I get the best release.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2007, 01:10:00 AM »
I shot off of my fingertips for many years, but started using a deeper hook a few years ago.  I now hook at the first joint, which I consider a deep hook.  Gives more control and fingers/hand don't get fatigued.  Also a little easier to handle more weight.

Offline Matt E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2007, 07:26:00 AM »
I consider the middle joint,"a deep hook". I shoot off the first joint,split fingers.I have tried the deep hook and found that the cleaner release comes from the first joint method. I can shoot lesser spined arrows off the first joint than I can using the middle joint.This is because I am having less interference due to less string roll.The deeper hook produces more more string roll allowing me to shoot stiffer arrows.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2007, 05:33:00 PM »
Most folks I know refer to the 'deep hook' as the crease of the first joint (behind the pads), with the fingers pointed back (thus the 'hook').  I believe references to support this can be found in books/videos describing its use by John Schultz (for the Howard Hill method), Quillian, LeClair, Brunner, Bertalan, Torges, etc.  It may not be for everyone but it does work well for many.

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2007, 12:26:00 AM »
I also consider the first joint from the tip a "deep hook" and I use it. If my arrow flight gets a little inconsistent or wobbly, its usually because I let the string rest more forward. I'm sure either will work but with heavier bows especially I would have to consider the deeper hook the way to go. I've never tried anything deeper than the first joint, but that seems as though it would be a little clumsy for me to manage. I'm sure I wouldn't correct anyone who was getting good results and was satisfied using a fingertip hold on the string though.    Grant

Offline Ray Johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2007, 02:37:00 PM »
I also use a very deep hook,between first and second joints.I used to use the finger tips but the deep hook is much better for me.

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2007, 02:49:00 PM »
deep hook for me. at the index and ring finger i hook at the first knuckles crease,,,on the middle finger i'm about halfway between the first and second knuckles crease,,,works for me.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©