Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Gap shooting and Lasik Surgery  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Brent Hill

• Trad Bowhunter
Gap shooting and Lasik Surgery
« on: August 09, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »
I am considering Lasik surgery but I am concerned about how this surgey may affect my passion: traditional bowhunting. I shoot using the gap method and have heard that although Lasik's often gives a patient great long farsighted vision, patients also experience problems seeing things within reach of their hands, ie. arrow tip. Any experience? Thanks and God bless our troops.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gap shooting and Lasik Surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 12:41:00 PM »
Just had eye surgery to fix my cornea 6 months ago.  They also did Lasik to correct my vision while they were fixing my cornea for other issues.  I can't say anything but positives about it.  

**side note** Don't want to mislead you. It hurts like @#%$ for a couple of days and vision is problematic for two to three weeks there after, but..

In the end the benefits far outweigh the short term negatives!!

1. You do not have to worry bout contacts drying up or getting dirty in dusty environments.

2. If you wear glasses, You no longer have to worry about rainy weather screwing up your lenses or fogging in cold weather.

3.  I shot my bow fairly well three weeks after surgery.  Shooting as well as before the surgery at least!

4.  Coming from a person who wore glasses for 15 years due to near sightedness and bow hunted for three of them, I would say wholeheartedly to GO FOR IT!

I am now 6 months out and any shooting problems are due to form not vision.  Incidentally, I never had any problems with nearsight vision with my surgery and still don't.  Everyone is different, but I think the surgery will make this upcoming saeson much more enjoyable for me.  One less thing to worry about.

Charlie

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 07:24:00 PM »
I had Lasik about 7 years ago to fix severe nearsightedness 20/550 vision.
They told me that I might need reading glasses @ 40 since that's about the age that most people with good vision start needing them.
Couldn't be happier with the outcome, 20/15 and can still see up close perfect.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline 42WLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 12:23:00 PM »
I'm 41 and had PRK two years ago. Went from 20/450 to 20/20. I did sacrifice some near vision and recently got my first set of low power reading glasses. That is just old age. I could not see to do up close (6-8") work. reading is just fine. No problem with my split vision shooting. I wish I had it done years ago.
Dave Thomas
VP, Rockfish Bowhunters Club

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 12:05:00 PM »
I had lasik about 7 years ago and it worked out well. Makes it better to shoot without glasses. About a year ago I started using reading glasses, but this did not impact my aiming or shooting.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 06:38:00 AM »
I had Lasik done 3 months ago and I'm seeing and shooting great.  Bow, rifle, shotgun, everything works great.  Best $3500 I ever spent!

Don't hesitate, go for it!!!!
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 11:52:00 AM »
I did it and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. I also gap and have no problems at all. I do need reading glasses now to fletch my arrows, but i'm 44 and holding. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Heavysquirrel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 12:37:00 AM »
I had lasik 5 years ago and I instructed the surgeon that i must have acceptable vision at arms length-- thats what I got
Archery Traditions Canebrake
62# @28
26" Draw
27.25" Gold Tip 5575
225gr head weight

Offline LCB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 01:56:00 PM »
For the past several years I have needed glasses and not worn them, but this year I would not be able to legally drive without them. I decided to have Lasik done due to my lifestyle (hunting/sports). I underwent the surgery a week ago. It takes only minutes for the procedure and my results thus far have been extrodinary. The pain was minimal and only lasted a few hours. I was shooting my bow two days post-op, and my shooting improved. No more fuzzy spots, no more squinting. I can't wait till this hunting season I'm sure it will look better.

Make sure you research Lasik to ensure it is what you want. Good luck

PS I'm 38, can still see my watch 8" from my face, but no closer. Yes I may need reading glasses in the future.
Success is measured not by inches of antler growth, but in the heart, soul, and mind!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©