Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Back workout  (Read 953 times)

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
Back workout
« on: August 09, 2007, 11:19:00 AM »
I've been seriously thinking of getting back into the gym and working out more.  Really.  And have been considering how I should work the day I lift weights for my back into my shooting schedule.  I've noticed quite an increase in my traps and other back muscles since I got back into shooting this year, and have been concerned about how to work out so I'm not over fatiguing my back muscles and not giving them any recovery time.  I do take a day off from shooting now and then, or shoot less following a longer shooting session.  So are there any of you out there lifting weights?  How are you handling this situation?

Offline gobbler10ga

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back workout
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 12:41:00 PM »
Alternate days or either alternate muscle groups in the work out program. You can always take a couple shots in the a.m. if you work out back in the p.m.
TEAM HILLBILLY

Offline cedar swampman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 05:32:00 PM »
If you are serious about developing your bow muscles I would recommend picking up a spring type chest expander.(I picked up a Joe Namoth version off E-Bay) When Gary Sentmen set the world record back in the '70's he trained with one of these along with pulling a heavy bow.Other than rowing exercises it is hard to replicate the motion of drawing a bow. Also don't shoot the days you work those muscles.

Offline Scott F

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 11:51:00 AM »
Google CrossFit and read about it.  It is a core strength and conditioning program that must be experience to be believed.  Having been a powerlifter my whole life because I was a discus and hammer thrower in high school and college I thought that this was a fad workout system when I first read about it.  A couple words of caution -- this is certainly NOT for the un-committed.  Just my thoughts.  If you aren't serious enough to accept the fact that getting stronger means that you'll have to step outside of your comfort zone and accept some discomfort I would suggest just doing pull ups.  Modify as your current strength level mandates.

Offline User Name

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 10:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by Scott F:
Google CrossFit and read about it.
I cannot believe all the new stuff I learn from these forums!!

I am starting crossfit tomorow, as is my college son who was in high school sports but unable to do any in college.

Thank you Scott!

Offline HAWGDOG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »
Bunyan, I don't know how long you have been lifting, but sooner or later you will get over the soreness. But gobbler is right, alternate days. Nomore than two days a week for each body part.  :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©