Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: What A Difference A Foot Makes!  (Read 834 times)

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
What A Difference A Foot Makes!
« on: August 16, 2007, 04:55:00 PM »
Had to share this, had a form epiphany this morning.

I've always shot square to the target, essentially the same foot position as when I shoot my compounds.  I've experimented with canting  a bit, but have not changed my foot position.  My accuracy has been OK but not as consistent as I would like, particularly windage.

This morning I was shooting and for whatever reason, I tried opening my stance by dropping my rear foot back maybe, well... a foot.  This caused me twist at the waist a small amount, bend my knees slightly, and to lean forward a touch to bring the bow to bear on the target.  It was nothing I had to force, all these minor adjustments were virtually automatic and comfortable.  the difference was immediate & dramatic.

The left/right issue disappeared and all my shots were now well centered in the kill zone.  The draw and shot itself seemed more natural and almost effortless.

Heck if I know why, boys, but it sure made a difference for me....
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What A Difference A Foot Makes!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 06:02:00 PM »
I'm glad that worked for you.  Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.  

I almost hate to bring this up....But you might want to practice making shots in all manner of awkward positions.  Like starting with facing away from your target and making a good shot without moving your feet to line up with it.  Also facing your target and making a good shot without moving your feet to line up. And all the variations of angles from facing directly away and toward your target. You could even go as far as getting on one or both knees.  Sorry for that monkey wrench!  But if you will build the confidence at all those angles in the back yard you will take in to the woods with you and it won't matter where the animal magically appears you'll know with confidence you can make a good shot.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 07:00:00 PM »
You opened your stance by dropping your rear foot back?

Glad you got improvement no matter...maybe it made your alignment better....you should be able, at some point, to shoot with consistency no matter where your feet are at.....keep at it!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 10:30:00 PM »
Yep, just dropped that left foot back a touch.  Probably more like 6" than a foot.  I'm thinking it brought everything into better alignment.

Appreciate the advice. I've been an archer since back when none of them had wheels so I have a bit of experience and a theory on practice all ready.  It all comes down to consistent & repeatable form, be it Trad or compound.

I've occasionally taken a critter kneeling or off a stool, which is about as awkward of position as I'll shoot at a live target.  I simply pass if a shot requires a radical modification of my form....
"As Trad as I wanna be"

Offline Black Gold

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 10:15:00 AM »
I do the same thing...I think for certain body compisitions it just gives better results...Dont know why or how, but am a firm believer in "if it works...DO IT!"....reguardless of the many opinions you may receive....
Cody Weiser

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 12:23:00 PM »
Found it works kneeling as well, just slid my left knee a touch back and bingo!...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©