Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: This is what I mean......  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
This is what I mean......
« on: August 19, 2007, 08:55:00 PM »
On Whitebuffalo's and Tim Fishel's form video threads I mentioned the "scrunching" that I see so many folks doing while shooting and robbing them selves of draw length and power stroke.

I also mentioned trying to shoot off your back foot almost overdoing it,feeling like your almost leaning back, instead of into the shot(forward). This will get those big back muscles more into the shot,which will also get your elbow further back,shoulders in better alignment,and follow thru more in line also.

anyway, my son and i went stumpin' today with my new camera and I had him take some video of me shooting....Now this works for me,might not work for you....but I think if you give it a try you'll see what I mean.....

..My son is 6 and I think he did a good job getting the shots.....

First a couple stills....

Anchor...which you'll see is just a spot where I release as I pull thru....nothing static about it......

Follow thru.....you can see where my hand is at the time my son snapped the shot after my release...

First vid.....you can see how I pull thru...that's a 29" arrow to the back of the judo......

This one shows the follow thru better.....

Try clicking go/pause to slow it down a bit...

Like I said, this works for me....won't work for eveyone. I've increased my draw length from around 27"(about 4 yrs ago) to over 28"s and my shooting has been more consistant than ever before......
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: This is what I mean......
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 10:02:00 PM »
I'll try to get better video from a couple diff. angles.....
Curt } >>--->   

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 10:12:00 PM »
Curt,, the last two days I've been doing exzactly like you said,,I thought I wouldn't hit the braud side of the barn at first so I stood clost to target,, Found out I was hitting awsome and the feeling of opening up is a better feeling while drawing,,Now it has increased my draw a lot,,and my follow through does feel different and my back shoulder feels different when I find anchor and I can almost feel like the lower part of my shoulder/back is now working with the rest of my back muscles,,Kinda funny feeling,, I shot my old way and I can feel the difference for sure,,I'll post some more vids and pics tomoorow for ya to take a look at,J
Thanks Curt,,
    :thumbsup:
TGMM

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 10:16:00 PM »
Try this
If anyone can hold there shooting arm with a high elbow ( like your at full draw) and flex your back muscles they will feel what I have always felt,,Now lower your elbow and flex and you'll feel it stabalize and almost equal the strength,,Now if you get funny looks from the family just tell them your visualizing that big buck moment and everthing will be fine,,
TGMM

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 10:39:00 PM »
Always happy to help...looking forward to the updated video bud   :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 01:45:00 AM »
Good post Curt.  If you doubt what he's saying here, think about this.  Next time you row a boat, lean forward with each stroke instead of back.  It won't take too long to realize your stroke is shorter and your arms are doing most of the work!
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 05:41:00 AM »
Very good analogy bud    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 01:41:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 01:56:00 PM »
I'm kind of a "Scruncher", but to me it's a part of the "aiming" process.

I do make a conscious effort to squeeze my shoulder blades together. However you get there, engaging the back muscles is key.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 09:56:00 PM »
Curt,

I shoot a similiar style as you.  Lately, my bow arm pops up slightly just before release.  Any suggestions?

By the way, I love it when you and Terry five form lessons.  It helps keep me focused.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline Whompy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 06:56:00 AM »
Years ago Dan Quillian told me EXACTALY what you are saying about the weight on that back foot. It is better to draw a 45# bow 28 inches than a 55# bow 26.5" because of the power stroke . Man just found this shooters forum on here and like hereing what you guys say. I have dial up here in the sticks but like your pictures from the video.You shoot the same style as me nothing static but completely pull throught he shot. Keep up the great posts.

Jack
I remember the day when taking any deer with a recurve bow was considered a trophy by all- I still do consider them trophies    :)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007, 07:48:00 AM »
Last arrow,  Not sure, but sounds to me like you may not be on target and at the last minute your mind is telling you to "bring it up"....and at release you do so...Can you post a video?
Curt } >>--->   

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 11:23:00 AM »
I do  not have the technology (personally) to post video.  After shooting this weekend and a lot of thought about this problem, I think I might be shifting my focus from the point I want to hit to the bow/arrow when I reach full draw, and as I do so my urge is to put the arrow point on target, resulting in the bow raising.  So the real issue is maintaining focus on the target while doing the other things I need to do, or possibly unconsiously searching for a reference point to make sure I am on target.  Any suggestions?
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©