Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: barebow aiming techniques  (Read 1111 times)

Offline DaveKS

• Trad Bowhunter
barebow aiming techniques
« on: August 20, 2007, 03:16:00 PM »
Anyone know some of the different techniques for aiming without sights?

Right now, I just go on feel, but I'm interested in reading about some more concrete methods.

Offline oldgriz

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: barebow aiming techniques
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 03:31:00 PM »
Let's see... Aside from Instinctive (which is what some guys refer to as guess and by golly, LOL) you would also have gap shooting and point of aim.
The latter two obviously require accurate distance estimation.
Tom Mullane
Bear Grayling Mag TD 60" 50#
Bear Grayling Mag TD 64" 37#
Wing Chaparell 60" 48#
Tom Cole Old Timer LB 68# 54#

Offline DaveKS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »
so what's involved in those two?
Do you have a link where I could read about them?
thanks

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »
Dave,
In gap shooting you look at the tip of the arrow and use it to judge elevation in relation to the target.  In point of aim you are actually "aiming" at a spot on the ground in front of the target.  Like Griz said, you have to be pretty good at distance estimation to make either one work.  I think they are mostly limited to target shooting because when a deer steps into your shooting lane you will NOT be concentrating on either the tip of the arrow or the ground between you and the deer!

I use the technique described by Byron Ferguson in his book "Become the Arrow".  I see a blurry arrow in my lower peripheral vision and use it to align with the target much like I shoot a shotgun.  That takes care of windage.  Elevation is something that I just learn for each bow/arrow combination.

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 06:35:00 PM »
When I first learned to Gap shoot my focus would switch back and forth between the arrow tip and the target until the corelation looked right between the 2 in order for me to hit the target. As an archer masters Gap shooting it often can evolve into a style called Split Vision or even become Instinctive.

Split Vision is a form of Gap shooting where the archer's focus is split between the target and the arrow....similar if not exactly to what Byron teaches. Howard Hill claims to have used Split Vision as his primary aiming techinique.

I personally believe Gap Aiming and Split Vision are the best all around aiming techiniques an archer can learn. They are VERY applicable to BOTH hunting and target archery...and as the archer masters one of them...it can become totally instinctive if the archer is specifically trying to learn how to do so.

Once an aiming style evolves...it no longer is what it was...but has become what it has evolved into  ;)  

Ray  ;)

Offline Todd Hathaway

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 09:08:00 PM »
There's also face walking, string walking, trajectory aiming, and what I'll call laser-arrow aiming, and combinations of all of the above.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 09:12:00 AM »
"Anyone know some of the different techniques for aiming without sights?"

Here's just anothet hot-air opinion.  As already mentioned there are any number of ways to shoot an arrow.  Perhaps the easiest to achieve accuracy with quickly is to shoot three fingers under the arrow using very lightweight arrows...basically just looking down the shaft at the spot and 'gunbarreling' or "Apache drawing", as its sometimes called.  The sighting approach is straightforward and works especially well for beginners.  Lightweight arrows remove most of the guesswork re trajectory.  Effective and easy, but not for everyone.  Or you could use the more technical approaches as mentioned above...point of aim or (more popular) gapping...the latter similar to shooting with a sight since you calculate/blend/calibrate distance with your sight picture and with the tip of the arrow to 'aim' the arrow.  Again, potentially effective with trial /error /practice, but again not for everyone.  Or, you can shoot 'instinctively' ...basically just mentally centering the spot you want to hit in your sight picture and allowing learned repetition and 'what you see' to make the shot with no concious calculation of yardage and using no artificial sighting aids.  Probably the least understood method (and most maligned), but nevertheless effective for some.

One thing is always required regardless of the method...developing good form FIRST.  Thats probably the most overlooked ingredient in the shooting recipe.  Form must be a good 'fit' for the individual, absolutely repeatable from shot to shot, and be engrained in the brain (automatic...like breathing) before expecting much for consistent results.  Form is, above all else, what decides results.  

If your preference or inclination is to measure and conciously 'maneuver' your shot then gunbarreling, point of aim or gapping seems like a logical choice.  If you prefer to make your shot more or less subconcious (no thinking or calculating needed...look and shoot) then instinctive makes sense.  The first two probably will give you better target scores, the third is perhaps better under close hunting conditions where shot opportunities are close, occur fast and allow less time (physically and mentally) to make the shot.

An intangible to consider is whether your urge to shoot barebow is fueled by a need for optimum accuracy (where sights and/or a calculated method makes sense or feels best) or more by a challenge to do it 'naturally' without relying on mental or actual sighting aids (where instinctive fits well).  A personal decision.

Good luck.   :)

Offline Mike31947

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 07:29:00 PM »
When I first started shooting some of the shooters had a thin white line on the back of the sight window to use as a reference point. I've never tried it but have been tempted when my shooting goes bad.
Isaiah  40:31

Offline Wldhorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 08:01:00 AM »
I shoot the Asbell method point and shoot method.Also try shooting in low light conditions;it removes alot of the distractions and really makes it much easier to concentrate on target. Pete

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©