Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: SRF Sight : Love At First Sight  (Read 1342 times)

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
SRF Sight : Love At First Sight
« on: August 20, 2007, 06:05:00 PM »
My SRF Sight arrived today and I just finished my first session with it.  To say I'm sold is an understatement!  I just ordered a second and AMO brackets & inserts for my two primary bows.

I started by putting a piece of tape on the front of my test bow's riser (58" LH Chek-Mate Hunter I 55#@29") and then taping a sight pin on that.  Shooting at 20 yards, I moved the pin until I was "on".  I then marked that spot on the tape.

Using that reference, I positioned the tape-on mount I bought to try the sight, and attached the sight itself.  My eyeball setup was just about perfect as using the widest point of the sight as a reference I was right on at 20 yards. A minor windage adjustment was all that was required.

I should preface this by advising I have a lot of experience using Ghost Ring sights on rifles, so I had no problem tranferring the concept to archery.  If a person isn't familiar with shooting a Ghost Ring it will take a bit longer to catch on, but I bet you will be surprised how quickly it comes.

Anyway, within 10 minutes I had the sight picture down at 20 yards and vital area hits on my Delta Buck were a forgone conculsion.

I then began to experiment from 5 to 40 yards.  In short order, I soon had a good enough grasp on the required sight pictures to place the arrow in the vitals from 30-40 yards most of the time. Misses tended to be elevation errors, demonstrating that my eye was naturally centering the target in the sight aperture.  From 5-25 yards, it was pretty much a lead pipe cinch, dead deer.

I then tried a few rear quartering shots.  No problemo out to 25-30 yards.  I was liking this stuff!

I demonstrated the sight to my wife who is a hardcore modern gear bowhunter but a casual trad shooter.  She was amazed at how consistent I was shooting.

I finished the session with a single arrow at roughly 42 yards.  Plunk, right in the center of the kill zone.

I have absolutely no doubt that as I become more familiar with the setup, I will be able to shoot
much tighter groups than ever before.

A couple suggestions/ observations:
The stick on base is OK for testing, but not sturdy enough for hunting.  If it were longer, thus allowing more adhesion to the bow it would a more reliable option.  IMO, it would be fairly easy to make a better stick-on sight at home or to drill a hole in this base to attach to an AMO sight insert.

If you decide to go with an SRF, I think the best bet is to get the AMO bracket and put some AMO standard sight inserts on your riser.  That's what I'm going to do.

The key is to look through the sight and cncentrate on your target.  It should be in focus and the sight aperture a blur around it that you are only peripherally aware of.  If you conciously use the sight to aim, you're not letting your eyes and shoulder mounted computer do their job anfd your results will be mixed.

Even though I was having no problem making vital hits past 25 yards, clearly this setup is at it's best inside of that distance.  In fact, once I got comfortable with the sight picture inside of 25 yards, I often found myself releasing as soon as I hit full draw, and hitting. I'm not a snap shooter, so I had to conciously slow down and hold at full draw for my customary couple seconds while I concentrated on my spot before release.

That being said, it will be a good feeling to know that if I need that 30-40 yard shot to anchor a wounded animal, I'll have the capability.

I have a Hunter 56 that, because of it's small sight window has to be shot off the shelf, as well as a Kota Prairie Swift that I shoot off the shelf as it isn't compatable with my prefered elevated rests..  It will be interesting to see if the sight picture holds I'm learning with the SRF translate to these bows.  In effect, is the SRF a training aid or a stand alone sighting system only?

SUPPLEMENTAL:
Put AMO sight inserts on the H1 this evening, which is simple job of 5 minutes max.  I then drilled a matching hole in the stick-on base.
The top insert was nearly a perfect match with the pre-tested position for the sight on my bow, it was just a matter of tilting the base down slightly to re-align elevation.  A couple test arrows just before sunset to re-adjust windage, and the SRF was on the money...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: SRF Sight : Love At First Sight
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 05:48:00 AM »
Update:
Have been shooting the SRF Sight for a couple days now, and it just keeps getting better.  Unreal how fast & accurate the system is, and how rapidly it improved my consistency & accuracy.  I was repeatedly shooting 3 arrow, 20 yard, 2" groups last night, about as good as I can shoot with my modern tackle.  Even my poor release or form shots rarely were out of the kill zone.

Tried it from one of my 12 foot ladder stands and had no problem putting arrows on the money out to 30 yards.  A deer in any of the shooting lanes off that stand will be in trouble.  Found that it works with the bow canted as well.

Wonder if I can get an "A" Model to work in that little sight window on my Hunter 56?...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »
I can just see you now...with a HUGE grin on your face just like the one you have in your avatar  ;)  That's awesome.

When you cant your bow do you have to adjust the position of the sight to accomodate the cant or have you already developed a different sight picture for a canted position? How much do you cant your bow when you do?

Ray  ;)

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 01:19:00 PM »
It really is freaky how well this thing works. Can't help but grin...

I don't normally shoot canted, but I fiddled with it some both on the ground and out of the stand, just to see how it would pan out. I was basically simulating having to clear the upper limb to make a hunting shot.

I didn't have a problem hitting with a cant of 10 to maybe 20 degrees at 20 or so yards.  On the ground I needed to add just a smidge of elevation to the sight picture to accomplish this...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 04:34:00 PM »
I need to know, what is a SRF sight?
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »
Never mind, I see another post about the sights, cleared up what you are talking about.  I am very interested in hearing your stump shooting, moving target and hunting experience.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »
Haven't thought about moving targets, as I pretty much don't shoot at them.  

Stumping has been a ball.  I'm much more accurate with the SRF than I was before it.  

In a nutshell, the sight gives you a frame to reference your sight picture in. You focus on the target while your eye subconciously centers it and your brain puts it in the right spot within the frame for the distance.  Once a person gets the hang of it, it's amazingly fast & accurate.

Ordered an "A" model to try on "Little Mo", my beloved Hunter 56.  I think there's just enough sight window to work...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 12:37:00 AM »
Terminator,
I'm with ya! I put mine on yesterday and am hunting with it tomorrow. Definitely improves precision at all ranges.
God bless,
Craig

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 11:47:00 AM »
Jon
I got one last year and shot with it for a few months.  I used it as a training aid as it forced me to use good form/anchor position all the time to be really accurate.  Did not use it for hunting since I did not want to have to estimate distance while shooting instinctive, but it was a great training aid and the improvements are still noticeable this year.  Good luck with it.
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 12:09:00 PM »
I've noticed a great improvement in my instinctive shooting with my non-SRF bows since I've started using the SRF...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 06:57:00 PM »
Doesn't surprize me one bit  ;)

Way to go!!!

Ray  ;)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 01:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by NDTerminator:
Update:

Wonder if I can get an "A" Model to work in that little sight window on my Hunter 56?...
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 05:37:00 AM »
The answer is no, the Hunter 56 is a shoot off the shelf, intinctive only bow....
"As Trad as I wanna be"

Offline Rich LaBombard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 10:17:00 AM »
Jon, glad you are happy with it, it's certainly a bomb proof product.

Do you shoot with the string right in front of your eye?

I couldn't get the sight to line up with the target and with my eye.  I tried hard for several months, and it just wasn't working for me, and I blame my form, not the sight.  (I anchor on the side of my cheek)

I'd think guys making the transition from compounds and sites would find this a natural, but I had never used sights on a bow before.

Glad is working so well for you.  I'd like to revisit this later (after hunting season) as most reviews are as positive as yours.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©