Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: tightening groups  (Read 1262 times)

Offline iluvwud

• Trad Bowhunter
tightening groups
« on: August 26, 2007, 05:57:00 PM »
what can I do to close the gap in my groups besides practice? My target looks like I shot it with buckshot!

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: tightening groups
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 06:17:00 PM »
howdy Bill welcome to the best traditional bowhunting place any where. i am not a big target shooter and i'm sure one of the guys on here that shoots a lot of targets can give you some good advice.

personally i have to really concentrate hard on picking the smallest spot i can and zone in on it. the old saying "aim small hit small" applies to my shooting style perfectly.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 06:43:00 PM »
ilw,

If your form isn't spot on your accuracy isn't going to be spot on...no matter what aiming techinique you're using.

But if you feel pretty comforatable that your form is good, yet your still struggling with accuracy even after practice...learn a different aiming techinique.

There are a few to choose from. Some may fit your goals and abilities better than others...and some are just plain harder to master than others.

Ray   ;)

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »
And another suggestion...make sure your equipment is as tuned to the best of your ability...by either using the suggested spine for your draw length, draw weight and point weight or by using one of the more advance techiniques such as bareshaft, paper and/or broadhead tuning.

Ray  ;)

Offline iluvwud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »
thanks guys. I appreciate the advice.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 08:00:00 PM »
Try Some Stump Shooting Too. Make Brent Coach You, LOL
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »
Yup, spend some time with Brent then do the opposite. That should set you up pretty well. LOL You can tell him I said that, but wait until he has a mouthful of coffee or such for the full effect.    ;)
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 05:11:00 PM »
:biglaugh:  Very good Dave  :D  You guys pick on me just cause I yes, I stand the right side of the bow  :jumper:  lol to you righties!

Bill, ya just gotta put you time in on the range. Some\\most of these guys have decades shooting. And still put the time in, to make them selves better.  

Sorry there are no quick fixes.

Brent

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 05:57:00 PM »
I have trouble shooting groups because as long as my first arrow goes and does exactly as I want I never concentrate quite as hard on the next one.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 06:17:00 PM »
Al,

That's pretty common for quite a few archers...especially instinctive archers.

You really only shoot as good as you practice. If you only practice to concentrate hard on the first shot...most likely the shots following the first one won't be as good.

As an archer...you can learn to shoot more consistantly...arrow after arrow...but you have to practice to do that...but in many cases...some bowhunters don't feel the need or desire to do that, which in their case...they don't have to.

Ray  ;)

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 06:40:00 PM »
Might add, I can't remember the last time I shot more than 2 arrows from a given distance.  I will shoot 2, move 5 yds, shoot 2 more and move again.  Doing this I want to maintain a 4" group but I am happy with 6-8.  Just get bored shooting the same arrows at the same distance and I don't want distance to be the determining factor in my accuracy.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
OK two more cents worth,

You only have just begun the quest to shoot a traditional bow instictivly. They will give you great joy, or sorrow. Depends on weather you beat you self up, over how poorly you shoot. Or if you shoot to have fun, and make yourself a better archer.

You know from only a few minutes spent together, what I have shared with you. (Be that good or wrong advice.)(In my mind good basic's) Basic form in drawing a bow,arm relationship to one another and your arrow at release. Is all we have shared, those things have to be tweaked by you. To find what works best for you. There in lays the quest we are all on. Spend time here (read listen, pay attention to what these people have to share what works best for (them). Apply and try, to find what works best for (you). But I guarantee, it will take time, and effort on your part. To fulfill the quest, upon which you have taken.

I shot this past year in a couple leagues, lucky for me I had a nemisis at both. Very good shooters, that made me work harder, focus more. But made me a better shooter for it.

Brent

I'm always around to shoot with, I will give you my two cents worth. But it will take time and experimention, that will make you the archer you are.

PS These guys and gals have thousands of years of combined experiance.
And will give you guidence, to make that archer of you.    :campfire:

Offline iluvwud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 08:00:00 PM »
Jeez, I wish my wife was this nice...thanks guys.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 08:21:00 PM »
See we have something in common besides BOWS.    :readit:    :D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©