Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: ugg, hand pain  (Read 894 times)

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
ugg, hand pain
« on: August 26, 2007, 11:23:00 PM »
Hey gang, kinda got out of things for awhile now.  Past couple of years I havent shot enough.   Trying to get back into the groove.  Summers dont leave a ton of time working 12 to 14 hour days on the boat.  Been shooting the past handful of days and off and on this summer.

I've noticed the back side of my hand hurting.  Went out stumping today and tried a really deep hook, (past the 1st crease) and it helped some but is heck to get the string off without yanking on it.  

I normally dont finger tip release opting to have the string very near but just a hair outside of that first groove.  

Have shot a lot of years and up till a year or two ago have never experienced this.  Is this from lack of shooting?  Or is this a string hand gig?   (please be question number too   :pray:  )

Any tips or things to try.  I wont have access to any kind of video equipment till the end of sept at the very earliest.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ugg, hand pain
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 10:09:00 AM »
went back and reread Asbells recent article on the string hand (2 issues ago now).

Noticed immediatly the tension in my hand caused from having my hand cocked before I started even drawing.  

Was hoping for an easy fix, boy something so simple that I havent done for so long isnt so easy not to do.  Even thinking and looking at it I still would cock my hand.  First time I was able to pull back last nite (stayed up pretty late thinking about this) most if not all the pain was gone.   Hands a little so from a lot of shooting so not 100% this is all of my problem.   Reckon age is starting to run me down too, ugg.

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 09:14:00 PM »
Dan,
When I shoot too much in one session, I start to "cup" my hand as my fingers get tired.  In other words, instead of keeping my hand straight and bending the second and third joints I start bending at the first joint as well.  I notice that I'm doing this when my hand starts to ache.  Just something to consider.

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 07:40:00 PM »
Thanks for the help John.  I havent shot much when I do shoot, I all too remember the pain of getting into this and when I ran into lulls.  

Just concerned that this string hand pain is due to age, instead of form.  The verdict is still out.   So far it doenst hurt when I dont cock my hand back when I grab the string (asbell has this in his past article in tbm).   When I do cock my hand I feel it immediatly.  

I'm just surpised to see no one else on here has experienced or has had experience with someone else and this particular problem.   Definatly surpising consider the amount of people on here.

Offline zilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 05:51:00 PM »
Hopefully it's not the start of artheritus..  I had to have surgery on my wrist/hand for arteritus... Might be time to see that ortho guy and get an Xray to see..
Damn Nice guy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©