Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Target range ideas wanted  (Read 1146 times)

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Target range ideas wanted
« on: September 01, 2007, 05:39:00 PM »
Joe and i are making our own range in a 4 acre wooded parcel at our property. We are trying to use inexpensive target options, so far we have some feed bags filled with plastic, and some spray foam insulation cut into 4x4 blocks most of the shots will be with Judo's down the line we will add some three D's. Anyone have any good suggestions?
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline iacornfed

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Target range ideas wanted
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 06:18:00 PM »
I shoot at hay bales and foam targets. I have one 3d deer target also. I shoot out of the kids tree house for tree stand simulation. My range is on  hill side trails for different elevation and ranges. Mine is less than one acre in size.
Choose ye this day whom you shall follow, as for me and my household we shall follow the LORD.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 06:23:00 PM »
Balloons, go do a quick walk thru putting out the balloons. Than go back and retrieve your bows and some judo tipped arrows. Ya can break 50 balloons and they will fit in your pocket and best of all the course chnages each time and ya can vary the size of your target. My bro and I and Damon and Jamie do it a lot. Shawn
Shawn

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 06:23:00 PM »
Use Balloons for targets and attach with a thumbtacks or tie on a branch for the judos. With a backstop for arrows a gatorade bottle is a good target as is a golfball, tennisball, etc.

For a challenge use an egg as there is no cleanup. LOL
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »
Sky and I have various targets but he likes the ones with clays on them the best.  The clays come in differing sizes and he loves it when they explode.  These are placed on a couple of hay bales stacked one on top of eachother.

Big Ron,
I like the egg idea!
<---TGMM Family of the bow---<<<<

Offline Problem Child

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 08:36:00 PM »
Call around your local archery clubs and ask if they will sell you their old "shot out" 3D targets.........CHEAP.If you could get a couple of targets for 30 bucks a piece you would be doing good, then head down to WalMart and pick up a can of "Good Stuff" spray foam insulation and fill in the shot out places and add paint if you like.I repaired a couple of my old targets this past week and I shot them for the 1st time today and they're holding up great.
"Right Wing Extremists"....has a nice ring to it don't it?

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 10:08:00 PM »
I have a similar land set up.  I use 3-4 ft long rolls of scrap carpeting hanging from trees.  They are the typical size of deer and force me to pick a spot.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 10:47:00 PM »
I've been toying with the idea of making deer targets out of foam insulation sheets that I get at home depot.I got a 4x8 sheet 2" thick cut in half and doubled to make a 4'x4'x4" backstop now. I hang deer poster targets on it for now, but have thought of cutting out the profile and making sort of a 3d target. It looks like a could get about two  good profiles out of a single sheet (cut in half and doubled to make it 4" thick like above). The cost per sheet was around $18 so it would be pretty cheap to make several. The foam gets shot out a little quickly, but I can fix it with the spray foam.

The balloons are a good idea too. I'll have to try them too.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline Voodoofire1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 07:03:00 AM »
I have about 30 of these over about 4 acres.... closed cell foam that I picked up at my local flea mkt. for 10 bucks a sheet, 1 sheet makes 1 big or 2 small targets,and I've been shooting them for 2 years now and just wore the first one out, took thousands and thousands of shots to do it though...they measure 29x24(big) and 14 1/2x24(small) and are both 16" thick, don't harm your arrows either, even the finish on woody's stay nice......

True happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 03:30:00 PM »
This is what i have come up with so far. I found some big pieces of spray on insulation in the junk the other day, i used them for the pig and cut some into 4"x4' cubes to shoot at also, The feed bags are stuffed with shopping bags and Styrofoam.

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 10:52:00 AM »
Woody,

The best modification I've made to my 3-d targets has been to replace the center core section of the foam animals with a sythetic modeling clay, used and purchased in a children's education store.  The clay works great to stop broadheads and field points and will never wear out.  Being synthetic it does not harden. I simply pack the center replaceable core of the 3-D animal with the synthetic clay, after 20-30 shots often it needs to be pounded smooth again but we're quickly back in business after punching the center section closed.  It's good thereapy to take out your frustrations on that danged 3-d target for jumping the string after you've missed as often as I do.    :goldtooth:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »
Milk jugs are fun to shoot at with rubber blunts they really let ya know when ya nail it.

I,ve always thought it'd be nice to have 2 sets of banded bails set far enuff apart so you could shot at one from the other.Not the same as stumpin thru the woods but it'd beat walkin down and back every time I think

Voodoo those look nice
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline GroundHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 07:51:00 PM »
My daughter grew up and moved out. Her closet was FULL of all the gazillions of stuffed animal toys we gave her over her youth. After she picked out her fav's to keep, and abandoned the rest, I put 'em out and killed 'em with my bow.

Little bears, big bears, bunnies and some aliens, too.
GroundHunter
Mom taught me: "Can't never could and won't never will"

HH Wesley Spl. 66" 85#@28
HH Black Bear. 66" 73#@28
Instinctive shooter, like wood arrows. Stalk & still hunt.
Dream: wingshooting ducks and quail

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©