Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Nephew has picked up the bare bow!  (Read 919 times)

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
Nephew has picked up the bare bow!
« on: September 14, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »
He's 15 1/2. He has never shot a bow or gun really. No bad habits! In a matter of minutes he was shooting groups at 5 yards then 10 yards.

It was really neat to see the basics I was teaching him, come together.

I have an old #39 Hoyt Pro Medalist and it shoots like a dream. I think I'll give it to him if he stays after it. I'm trying to get him to register here so he can learn from the masses too.

He is really into the hunting shows and asks me questions about shooting and hunting all the time. I'm really excited about getting him out in the woods this year! I'll try to get some pics of his form and post them.

Just had to brag....
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nephew has picked up the bare bow!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »
 Here's one clip. This bow has a plastic elevated rest and he really has trouble with the arrow rolling of the rest some times. The string is an older one. It has those no glove rubber tubes. Could that be the problem? It doesn't happen every time but it is always when he approaches his anchor point.

Got any pointers for him? This kid is a blank canvas. I'd like to make sure he can correct the string roll problem. He's really frustrated about it.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
NRA Life Member.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 12:24:00 PM »
TTT. Anyone care to add their input????
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
NRA Life Member.

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 12:13:00 PM »
RAZORSHARP-if he's having trouble with the dreaded roll-off you might suggest a good deep hook on the string and ask him to relax his hand, wrist, and forearm and initiate his draw by pushing back with his elbow. I taught three sons and their friends to shoot and this image usually helped with the problem. I've never seen a new shooter that didn't experience this problem to some lesser or greater degree. Hope it helps and way to go-gett'em young.   Grant

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 01:02:00 PM »
Thank you. It seems to be improving. I put a new string on his bow(w/o the rubber rollers). I need to get him a glove that fits him. He's been shooting with out a glove but he AND his fingers will be much happier with one.

Thanks for responding and for the advice.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
NRA Life Member.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 11:47:00 AM »
Update: he's now moved up to my old 45lb Pearson Cougar. The finger roll problem improved but he still has a problem with it at about 2/3's draw some times.

His shots have all been going high but are usually in good groups. He said that "it looks like I'm aiming for the spot I pick but it always goes high." I showed him the three under method and instantly his shots are right where he looks.

He's now shooting kneeling, sitting, and out of my pop up blind too. I think by next year he'll be ready to hunt if that's what he wants.

I'm going to be taking him with me this year to get a feel for it. I'll let him bring his bow along with field points to do some stumping.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
NRA Life Member.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©